Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all you rubber side down riders. Bines here. I recently conducted a little experiment I'd like to tell you about. I call it, "Riding a Motorcycle on it's Side; People don't do it this way for a reason".

Three weeks ago, I rode a 2005 C50. Greta bike! High 40s to low 50s mpg. Good in both city traffic and open highway. Stable. Rock solid reliable. Two upable. It was my first bike. I put 45,000 miles on it before crashing.

Yep. Low sided at 40 mph. Hey, why slow down when you lean, right? Because you can only lean so much, that's why.

I rashed up my bike and myself pretty bad. No head injuries, though. Wear-your-helmet! Wear your other gear, too. Had I worn all I had, I would have walked away injury free. Instead, I wore a large patch of skin off my left arm, busted up both elbows, a finger, some knuckles, left wrist and my left knee. Nothing broken. I'll heal up okay. Still though, wear-the-gear!

Let me tell you, sliding down the street on your helmet sounds like, "THUNK! SSSHHHRRRRRRR!" But that sure beats having most of my ear torn off and a face like an acid attack victim, or being permanently severely disabled, or dead. My helmet, a cheap G-Max, saved my bacon. I didn't even have to ride the ambulance.

I did have to wear bandages and apply sulfadene twice a day. And take a truck load of antibiotics to cure the angry red and puffy infection the set into my arm. And the peroxide! Oh! The burning! Only once though. That's the rule now. Wash the rash (OW! OW! OW!) and used the peroxide once. Once was all I could take, anyway. Man! It burned like fire! It hurt worse than doing the injury in the first place. Almost as bad as the feeling of knowing I would have walked away Scott free had I worn all the gear I had. Still kicking myself for that.

Anyway, yeah. Bike's totaled. I'm on the mend, and on the hunt for a new one. To the forums!

:71baldboy:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,309 Posts
You are here to tell us about it, so there is an upside. Plus you learned a valuable lesson about wearing your gear.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
It happens.

Ah Bines. Nice of you to tell the rest of us to wear our gear. But who should you have told before your crash? And a cheap helmet too.

Same logic I use when I do not listen to weight loss folks. " I lost 80 pounds" Well I am thinking this is a person who was 80 pounds over weight, and I need to listen to them? No. IMO.

However I am pleased you are not too badly busted. And I know next time you will wear your gear, and hopefully a good helmet.

I split a Bell next to my right temple many years ago. A cheap helmet might have really scrambled my brain.

Fix the bike, and check the forks and swing arm for alignment.

Unkle Crusty

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear you are able to tell us about the slide. Thanks for the warning about the gear. Hopefully you will mend quickly AND find that new bike really soon.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice to meet you Bines, and a heck of a story! It's a pretty good track record if you made it 45K down the road before the incident. What caused it, a dance with traffic? Slid on gravel?

TWO things to take away from an event like that is 1) bolster your gear as you see fit, and 2) what else did you learn that day? I'm glad to hear you're still chomping to get back on the saddle :cool: and with better gear! But also, what will you do differently in the future to avoid needing that new gear?

I had my 1st & only street bike crash within a few months of getting my license (low sided, sand on road) so I'm no preacher lol, but am a voice in the chorus now :tongue:

Anyway welcome to the forum, this is a great place full of good smart helpful people!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the well wishes!

Me and the police looked for something I may have slid on. There was a wind row of mowed dry grass against the curb, but none in the street. I didn't feel a bump like I had run over something. I've run over all sorts of stuff anyway, and been fine. There was no floor board dragging or sinking feeling of impending doom. It happened in a blink. I really think I just threw it over too fast, too far. Got a little too frisky.

Riding pants and armored gloves. That's what's next. I wore leather chaps when it was cold, but only jeans when it was warm. The jeans, and even the good quality shirt I was wearing, did save me from getting more road rash than I did. My gloves have always been cloth or leather. Some of that knuckle armor may have saved my finger, that I still can't bend all the way. It's not broken, just really bashed up. That and wear the gear I have. The Sedici jacket did me no good in the garage.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Bines, thanks for your story, and I'm glad to hear it wasn't any worse. Unfortunately sometimes the lessons we learn we learn through painful experiences.
I curious, was there a recommended speed on that corner, and if so what was it. You said there were no visible signs of anything on the road that would have caused the accident. What condition are your tires in?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on surviving the crash. The gear is there for your protection so always use it. Dress for the crash, not for the ride, is good advice. I have been down twice since I started riding in 1968. Both times my gear saved me from disfiguring injuries.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think there was a posted speed for the curve. It was a 40 mph street. It was all misjudgement on my part, but I'd sure like it to be rabid hobgoblins chasing me on sport bikes in the dark of night in the pouring rain. That'd be a much cooler story.

Tires were Metzler 880s in plenty good condition. Lots of tread. Properly inflated. I got a thing about checking my tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts