Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the original lights didn't work properly after another rainy day, and due to the limited funds currently available for retrofits, I googled for a long time to find this light for the 2016 BMW R NineT. In the end, I bought this light for $209.
I would like to share with you the experience of replacing the light this time, and some personal views on the current light.

SHORT REVIEW: It works, wide enough beam pattern, brighter than Halogen, and looks nice. Good Budget headlights

(Images attached on the bottom - I tried to get the most accurate brightness)
These are essentially replicas of the Jeep JL Mopar LED Headlights and I’ve always liked the look of the new Jeeps OEM headlight. For a while there, no one made a replica of those until these came out [Spring 2019]. I like the reflector style housing and modern middle projector style. I also like how the Halo is nicely disguised behind the lens (unlike some that just have a white strip going around, giving it a cheap look like the replicate JW Speaker ones which are very popular).

Performance:
*Halo- Nice and bright, no dead LED chips, and viewable from a distance.
*Low Beam (Projector)- The beam width is a bit better than average. The color pure white in color (5,000k I would say) and fairly bright for the price. The low beam appears to use two LED chips and the projector appear to have two optic lens that give two different throws. One projector deals with center distance throw, while the other focuses on lighting width wise. There appears to be two slight issue with this. First you may notice the center throw lighting is brighter than the width. It doesn’t effect view-ability but it’s there to notice the difference. Second, while the center has a nice cutoff line, the edges awkwardly curves upwards. It's not terrible and it doesn't appear to blind people.
*High Beam (Reflector)- The Bottom and Upper portion are reflectors and each have three LED chips for the high beam [6 LED chips in total for High]. The Halo and low beam remain on when High Beam is active. High Beam really shines with this headlight and I have nothing negative to say about it.
*Heat- The back of the material does get a bit hot after a while, but that is expected with all LED housings

Quality:
*Lens- I will say that the Lens feels cheap. (as stated above, my first set came completely scratched). I am not sure how it’ll take road debris, only time will tell and I will update. on a later date. With the light on, the Lens appeared to have a bunch of micro scratches (it doesn’t effect the light output).
*Back\Heat Sink- The heat sink feels cheap and feels like plastic (despite the product information list stating that it is diecast aluminum). While the more expensive headlight heat sink feels more metallic and are noticeably heavier. With that said, it does appear to dispense the heat without issues.
Harness: Connector and Wires look well and plug and play to my vehicle

Fitment:
*It is true to size in that it’ll fit any 7” opening (brackets may be required depending on vehicle).
*These headlights are actually a lot deeper than your typical projector styled headlight (from where the headlight rests on the bracket, to the end where the wire sticks out it’s about 79-80mm in depth (+32mm of Lens that sticks out). The front lens also sticks out a bit further, although they are not as bad as the Truck-Lite LED headlights. Just be sure to measure the depth of the location where you will be installing as these may or may not fit non-Jeep vehicles.

They fit my 2016 BMW R NineT motorcycle, although it is a really tight fit.

For my Triumph Thruxton 1200 motorcycle, due to the existing wiring in that motorcycle’s bucket, it did not allow the Headlight to fit inside it (again these LED headlights are twice as deep in dimensions than your typical aftermarket LED headlight)

OVERALL:
If you are on a tight budget, then I would say this LOYO LED headlights may be a good option. They don't look cheap (although it does feel cheap), has a decent Low Beam brightness with nice cutoff line. Can't go wrong for $209 a pair.
LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

LOYO Jeep LED Headlights
LOYO Jeep LED Headlights

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Those lights actually should not be used on a motorcycle. Any light that has a horizontal cutoff on the beam is incompatible with motorcycles.

The light needs to shine 360 degrees because when a motorcycle leans over in a turn, the beam needs to shine upwards so it can illuminate the turn. With the horizontal cutoff on the beam, when the bike is leaned over, the beam will focus on a small 6" patch about 36" in front of the motorcycle and you won't be able to see the turn.

This is a real problem on newer bikes as some manufacturers are inexplicably using beams with horizontal cutoffs. The 17-20 MT09 is so bad its basically unrideable when the sun goes down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts