Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just to one of my bikes, but to both of my bikes.....

Left the key in the ignition with it still being in the on position and killed the batteries.......Not just to one, but both..........and away from home.....

Am I eligible for the dunce cap award now? Tommorow is the last day of riding for me, and my bikes will be attached to a trickle charger.........

How can I be so dumb?

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
Sounds like you had already parked your brain. Twice though? Yeah, that deserves an award of some kind.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
We all make mistakes Zippy. I had a bike over 1100miles from home and used the kill switch instead of the ignition to shut it off. When I came back out after eating my lunch the headlight was barely glowing and the starter refused to play. I got lucky with a dealer only about 1/2 mile down the street. I walked that half mile and asked them for help and they gave me a jump to get me going again. Stuff happens to all of us.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that's what I need to change. I usually use the kill switch to shut the bike off. I think it's time to get in the habit of using the ignition to shut her off instead. The ignition is down under my butt so it's so easy to forget about it. So wish the ignition was up on top of the bike within eyesight. I'm usually good about grabbing my key though.......not today though.....

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm already in the habit of starting and stopping mine with the key. I just don't like feeling dumb when I can't get it to start and finally realize it's the kill switch. At least now that is the 1st thing I check. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Every time I use the kill switch to turn off my bike...I come back to turn it on and sit there for 5 seconds or so wondering why my bike wont start :biggrin: I don't use the kill switch anymore

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Don't feel bad zip, we've all been there. I once put half a quart of oil in my truck, my little Toyota that l loved so much, was in a hurry and forgot to put the cap back on, and drove over the highest mountain pass in Washington...fried that motor like no one's business.

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
I think that's what I need to change. I usually use the kill switch to shut the bike off. I think it's time to get in the habit of using the ignition to shut her off instead. The ignition is down under my butt so it's so easy to forget about it. So wish the ignition was up on top of the bike within eyesight. I'm usually good about grabbing my key though.......not today though.....
I actually forgot about the kill switch issue. You just hit on the second biggest controversy with bikes. Second only to dino or synthetic oil. I've NEVER used the kill switch. I know most owners manuals say to use it every time but I guess I started riding when it was placed there for emergency use. And like you, I've seen way too many get burned by it. I'll stick to the ignition switch and leave the kill switch for emergency or the bike can just blow up if I can't get to it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Somebody in here this year, stated that using the Kill Switch might be a problem long term, since "they tend to fail."

So I decided that day, to use the key only, to shut the bike off.

It was easy to remember to do it that way, even IF I don't necessarily worry about the Kill Switch potential failure.

Tough luck..........better luck NEXT time.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if it is possible to move the ignition to the top of the bike on my model? Suzuki S40? I usually get off the bike to turn it off cause it's easier than getting my finger stuck in the shock looking for the key. (yes, I've done that before too).

Atleast I get my silly mistakes done this way rather than making silly mistakes riding..............I still can't believe I did that though......I've been beating myself up all night.

kill switch bad....ignition good.......this is going to take some effort....

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to move the ignition to the top of the bike on my model? Suzuki S40?
Sure anything is possible, and there are lots of replacement ignition switch assemblies you could use to relocate it, or maybe relocate the existing switch by extending the wires.. Can you see a good spot up by the handlebars to put it?

,, or maybe just tough it out where it is, & pick your next bike upgrade that has a higher mounted switch! :wink: And speaking of that, it will probably be easier to sell the bike whenever it is time to upgrade if the wiring is all stock & not butchered up.

My wife placed a pre-order for a Indian Scout. She loves everything about that bike with only a few exceptions like, the ignition switch is down by the engine.. Do'h well

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm probably going to see how easy it is to adjust to using the ignition to shut off bike before opening up a wiring can of worms. If I did do it, it would be by a qualified motorcycle mechanic. Electrical is one of the things my backyard mechanic will not touch. Quite honestly, I don't blame him. I'd rather him say I don't know how to do it, than try and mess it up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I never use the kill switch even though the manual says to.
My key is not that near the engine so I have developed a routine of shutting off the gas and the key at the same time.
Though shutting off the gas has gotten me into trouble a couple of times when I forget to turn it back on.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I out to have a package store named after me. It would be full of Bud, Rolling Rock, Captain Morgan and Blackberry Brandy........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts