Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Neither should be mixed with driving. It's kind of like saying, "I can play Russian roulette better with a Smith and Wesson than a Ruger."

·
Subversive
416 Posts
...after three beers than you can drive sober while texting.

Discuss.
That would depend on if you're sober after drinking three beers... Which is fairly nebulous anyway... Three beers in 10 minutes? Three beers in an evening?

I probably can, depending on time, but I doubt three beers would be enough to impair me....or to raise my BAC to anywhere near the legal limit...

Studies actually have shown that some people drive better with a very small amount of alcohol, they thought it was because the subjects were aware that they might be impaired and were paying more attention..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'll take it a step further and say, "I can drive better.......when my attitude is right!"

-Soupy

·
Registered
699 Posts
While neither is a great idea, I would be less nervous riding around someone that had drank three beers (assuming they are not a true lightweight) than someone texting.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I can't even stand after three beers, but then, I don't drink the yellow water that comes from AB, either; the beer I drink us usually more than 12%, and comes in 22 ounce bottles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The point of discussion is one carries an automatic fine/sentence and the other is a secondary offense at best, yet both cause the same problems. Also noteworthy is how the habitual offenders in both claim the same thing: "it doesn't affect me."

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Great points Shadow. It's also interesting to note that talking on the phone while driving has become almost accepted by many...with the excuse being "at least I wasn't texting."
I live a few blocks from work and walk to work. It is alarming how many people zip down a busy street (not far from 2 schools) with their eyes on the phone instead of the road. And if confronted, I am sure they would all claim to be good drivers...

I do find it hard to believe that there are not more laws prohibiting texting/talking while driving. It's only an issue after someone crashes, then it is difficult to prove.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
In New York State any phone use while driving is an automatic 6 points....

You can even be stopped at a light at still get a summons.. Problem is everyone still does it...or at least too many still do it...and the ones who do it are not skilled multitaskers...

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Texting is worse than drinking and driving
I totally agree with this however, I don't do either, I used to Drink and drive when I was younger but no more. I hate, hate, hate when I see someone texting while driving or talking on their phone without Bluetooth.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Seems like determining the lesser of two evils... while one may be worse, neither is a good choice.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
That's true but fact is if you are a regular 12 pack a day person your tolerance is much much higher than a 1 every now and then person.

3 would be nothing for the 12 pack guy and I'd much prefer being near that person with 3 in traffic than the texter.

I don't care how much you text, 5 seconds off the road can kill someone. So it truly depends on the person and just what kind of drinker they are.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I can drive better while texting after three beers than most people can sober with both hands on the wheel.
I hear that....

It really depends on the person and skill.. Most people can't drive for $hit....no matter what they are or are not also doing and/or had to drink recently.

Btw: is that you in your avatar?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts