Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a crf125 big wheel to practice/learn to ride. I want to resell it now but I bought it without a title. I cannot find ANYBODY to buy it from me because I don’t have a title.
It’s an off-road bike. It doesn’t get registered with the dmv, so what’s the difference?

·
Registered
775 Posts
No offense intended, but I think no title = stolen in a lot of folks minds.

There do seem to be a lot of 2nd hand bikes available with no titles though. I wonder how they get separated from their titles? Maybe placed in storage and outlive the original owner? Folks move and abandon them?

If you have the time and you part it out, you can generally make more $$ out of it than selling it whole. I hate to see a good bike broken up, but with no title, ......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worst case scenario-the dirt bike was stolen at some point, not necessarily by the guy I bought it from. Since it is not being registered, what difference does it make? Is somebody going to get arrested ? Who would ever know anyway? Who is going to trace an unregistered dirt bike to a third owner?

·
Registered
775 Posts
And along the same lines of reasoning, if somebody steals it from YOU, or from the next owner, what legal recourse can you or the next owner take? Perhaps some folks don't want to be in that situation, or maybe they just don't get warm fuzzies buying a bike with a big question mark. A lot of things don't get decided by analysis, they get decided by folk's gut feelings.

Somebody was saying in one of the forums that it's possible to get local law enforcement to run the VIN, and let you know if it was ever reported stolen. If it comes up clear, you could say with confidence, "no record it was stolen!" If it comes up stolen, the downside is obvious.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if I do that, I won’t have any kind of written proof to show anybody. I can tell them that the police ran the VIN but they probably won’t believe me.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
All of it. Put the VIN in your ad and let potential buyers check it for themselves if they're interested.

A potential buyer may also believe there is less chance of it being stolen if you're willing to put the VIN in a "For Sale" advertisement where anyone could see it. :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Since they don't have to be registered for road use, its not unusual and many ATV"s and dirt bikes are sold without a title and with a bill of sale. If I ever bought one I would just make sure I have the sellers DL number, full name, address and signature on the bill of sale with the VIN number for the vehicle.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Lalje0342j3001187 appears to be a VIN. I ran it through the National Insurance Crime Bureau and it came back clean. This means it's either not stolen or the person it was stolen from didn't report it (not likely).

I've sold plenty of bikes without titles before. Some people specifically seek them out. They're cheaper than bikes with titles, great for purposes that don't involve putting them back on the road (trail bike), and due to legal loopholes, can be very easy to register despite the absence of a title. Price it accordingly (bikes without titles are worth roughly 50% less than an equivalent with a title) and they will come. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got a few people interested. I did supply the VIN. I’m going to lose $ anyway because I did have to pay for some work that a more experienced person could have done but I was afraid to undertake. As it was, it didn’t really serve it’s purpose, as I found out that you can no longer ride off road where I live and my backyard wasn’t really big enough to practice much of anything. So, keeping it is of no value but it would have been a fun little trail bike, had there been some trails to ride. If I owned a trailer, I might have kept it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.