Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who the heck came up with the name "Jiffy" for the Kick Stand? Why is it called that?

I can hear them (in the Engineering Department) saying, "well, it goes up and down in a 'jiffy,' so let's call it a 'Jiffy Stand.'"

Just seems dumb, to me, is all.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's called a jiffy stand in Harley speak because it was faster to use then the old style center stand, which was more under the rear wheel. You could now park the bike and hop off in a jiffy.

You're going to have to learn to talk the talk, Soupy, or other Harley riders are going to look at you funny.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
We already are.:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
even metric riders are looking at him sideways

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's right...........keep kickin me.........

I know ya'll are teasing but I'll ask you to ease up a bit ok? Things are pretty rough around here (came home to a pissed off wife who won't talk about it, whatever it is) and says she's "going to the Attorney on Monday."

I need a little mind rest, and in here I get some. At least when ya'll are a bit more "off my back."

I know ya'll mean well, but still.......I'm kinda fragile right now, and could use some friendship; not hassle.

thanks,
-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
If forget to put the kickstand down .. It will fall over in a Jiffy :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
that's right...........keep kickin me.........

I know ya'll are teasing but I'll ask you to ease up a bit ok? Things are pretty rough around here (came home to a pissed off wife who won't talk about it, whatever it is) and says she's "going to the Attorney on Monday."

I need a little mind rest, and in here I get some. At least when ya'll are a bit more "off my back."

I know ya'll mean well, but still.......I'm kinda fragile right now, and could use some friendship; not hassle.

thanks,
-Soupy
I'll try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I know it`s an old thread, but here goes...

Harley did not come up with a different name for the side/kick stand, they invented this type of stand, and gave it a name.

The terms kick stand or side stand weren`t even thought of yet (1930s).

Jiffy Stand is the original name for this type of stand.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I hate that thing, I can't count the times the bike has moved forward or backward on it like it was going to fall, giving me a cardiac.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
ODE - that is when you kick it. That is why it is called a kick stand. I just made that up, but now it is out there on the internet so it must be true.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Yeah, that thing has scared me more than a few times. I finally put the bike on the lift to see why but discovered why and how it works. I realized after that that it wasn't going anywhere ever. It's actually a very clever design.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts