Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since I am buying my bike on Saturday, I figured it was a good time to close the deal on some insurance. Problem is, each time I went shopping the monthly rate was at least $250 A MONTH. A MONTH. That's absolutely ridiculous!!!
Geico, progressive, state farm, they all wanted monthly payments in the $200 range. Granted. I am only 20 years old, with no prior riding experience, BUT I have no marks on my driving record, never got into an accident, and I have an endorsement / took the MSF course. My bike is a 471cc model, so it's not like I'm hopping on a freaking Kawasaki H2 or anything with no prior experience.
So I gave my local insurance broker office a call... they found me a deal with Metlife.

$93 / month. I repeat. $93 / month.

MUCH better.

So helpful advice for any other new riders out there who are new to this as well: go through an insurance broker. They will work magic for you! :biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The age factor has a big impact on it, but going through a broker is definitely cheaper. They cut my Dad's rate as well just by going through them, and he's well in his 40s.
I even checked Metlife, got a quote for the motorcycle I'm getting. Nowhere near what the broker can get me. My point = going through a broker is waaayy more affordable. Age doesn't account for everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 21, live in the city, and pay about 45 a month on a 98 vulcan. What year is your bike? How much coverage do you have?

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
That's ridiculous! There definitely has to be another reason your insurance is so high. Even with a crappy credit score, it shouldn't be anywhere close to $1100 a year.

I have three bikes with FC and towing on two and $100 deductible with $250,000/500,000 for $370 a year.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a lot of it is the age factor, the fact that this would have been my first bike, and that I'm a new rider. I'm sure it's different in each state too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any other suggestions on getting cheap insurance? I ride a ninja 250r, but am selling it to buy something faster like an r6 or cbr 600. I've ridden a few of my friends bikes and would really like the power, but insurance is trying to screw me...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Any other suggestions on getting cheap insurance? I ride a ninja 250r, but am selling it to buy something faster like an r6 or cbr 600. I've ridden a few of my friends bikes and would really like the power, but insurance is trying to screw me...
Shop around for the best rate. A supersport is going to be a lot more expensive to ride than the 250 sport. There really isn't going to be a way around that. It's a lot bigger risk to insure.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Maybe not, but what the insurance companies associate with age is their biggest concern.
TR is right, but they also go by the CC's on the bike,my 900 CC Kaw is below the magic "1000" number that they seem to use, my Harley Heritage?? well, the 1450CC and the full coverage? Ouch! And yes,I have been riding over 40 years no accidents, one speeding ticket which comes off in June!! wahoo!

·
Visionary
2,983 Posts
I had heard the same thing, that anything over 1000 was a trigger for higher rates..I was afraid I was going to get beaten up for the cc's on the Vision (1730) but it's less than $100 more than my Vstar 650, full coverage on both. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

TR is right, but they also go by the CC's on the bike,my 900 CC Kaw is below the magic "1000" number that they seem to use, my Harley Heritage?? well, the 1450CC and the full coverage? Ouch! And yes,I have been riding over 40 years no accidents, one speeding ticket which comes off in June!! wahoo!

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
This is where being older, married, good credit, and owning a house comes in handy.I pay $250 a year on four bikes. I do distinctly remember paying out my rear for auto insurance when I was 21, though.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Dropped the Raider today and added the Octane, our insurance stayed the same. $327 a year for full coverage with towing on two bikes and liability on one. Includes $2500 in customization on the two with FC.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts