Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday was a bit cool, with temps in the low 50's when I went out for a ride (one of the nice parts of being retired is that when the day looks good I can go with no concern for whether or not it is a "work" day). But I decided that the open face helmet that I have been using since about May was just not going to cut it at these temperatures at highway speed. So I took out my dusty Shoei modular, full face helmet. In the meantime I had decided to grow my beard (again) over this summer.

Closing the helmet immediately reminded me that (for me) beards and close fitting full face helmets don't go together too well. I felt like my little dog must have crawled into my helmet and was snuggled against my face. So now its either a good shave, or suffer the cold and wind of the Fall and Winter with an open helmet.

It is nice to have such petty things to think about it right now. I guess it means that my life is going pretty well despite my recent renal cancer, some financial downturns, and trying to come up with a way to get a grown kid out of the house.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I have a nice little clip that I pull my beard all nice and together and twist it to make it tight, then clip it. Then put the modular on. But right now I'm still using my half helmet anyway but do that with it too or it will be all up in my face.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I was going to suggest a balaclava, but that won't solve the beard issue. I have a beanie type helmet liner that is cut so it can be pulled down and cover the ears. It works well for the transition days in the Fall and Spring allowing me to wear my half-helmet longer.

Got it at Amazon. It might work for you. :icon_cool:

·
8,600 Posts
Full face helmets can be a pain: A person can't really spit anymore, sneeze or cough or the stupid things will fog up.

My FF is a lot noisier than my 3/4 helmet too. I have to wear ear plugs.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
This just reminded me. I had all flipping summer to mount the Bluetooth in my full face helmet. Procrastinate much? We're leaving tomorrow night for a week long trip in upper Michigan. With temps going down below freezing at night up there, I'm guessing I'll be wanting the full face over the 3/4. I know what I'll be doing when I get home..... If I can remember where I put all the pieces/parts. That and mounting the windscreen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ironically I didn't realize how much I need my full face on the highway until recently when I upgraded to a newer bigger bike, I was wearing my half shell on the highway and once I got up to highway speeds it felt like it was going to blow off my head at any moment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I live on the coast where the temp is often in the mid to high 90s all summer, and the humidity high. I wear a full face all year. Just flip the little visor up.

Better than losing my chin or handsome mug.

·
Registered
804 Posts
As much as I get hit in the face with bugs and stuff when my shield open on the FF, I don't know how you guys ride without one.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
They keep the mouth open wide.:D

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
Full face helmets can be a pain: A person can't really spit anymore, sneeze or cough or the stupid things will fog up.

Sam:biggrin:
If I want to ride inside, looking out the windshield and breathing my own breath, I'll drive my pickup truck.
I hate full face helmets.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even with a full face helmet you can hit be by bugs, if you leave the visor open. Having a windscreen can help a great deal, but doesn't guarantee that something still won't hit you in the face. But as it gets colder with winter approaching, for me its a full face or not riding. I just can't enjoy a ride if I feel my face freezing. And as to noise, I find I had forgotten how much noiser it is to ride with a full face helmet and an open visor than it is to ride with a 3/4 helmet. Wearing earplugs might work for most riders, but I find that it gives me a feeling of pressure in my ears that is worse than the wind noise.

One of my helmets, a Shoei Quest, is supposed to be among the quietest of helmets, but I have found this is only true if you keep the visor fully shut. Even cracking it a hair to let some air in to keep the visor from fogging is enough to make it extremely noisy. For me it has to be really cold to keep the visor fully closed all the time.

So aside from the noise issue, I just might need to shave the beard off so that I can reasonably comfortably wear a full face helmet. Most men who grow beards intermittently seem to start a beard when it starts getting cold and then shave it off when the weather turns warm. I may be doing just the opposite to make riding more comfortable.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Even with a full face helmet you can hit be by bugs, if you leave the visor open.
Yep. The one bee that stung me on the side of my nose I had a full helmet on and behind a windscreen. And of course the face shield was up for air on a hot day. The only way to avoid them critters is to not ride in the end. You can still get nailed on your neck since face shields don't go that far down.:D

·
Registered
809 Posts
One of my helmets, a Shoei Quest, is supposed to be among the quietest of helmets, but I have found this is only true if you keep the visor fully shut. Even cracking it a hair to let some air in to keep the visor from fogging is enough to make it extremely noisy. For me it has to be really cold to keep the visor fully closed all the time.
I have a Shoei Qwest helmet, too. To prevent fogging without opening the visor, you can purchase the optional Pinlock attachment, or use an anti-fog solution.

I recently started using Scott's Sports NoFog spray and it is working well for me so far - after a bit of a shaky start. The product states it works better with repeated application and that is my experience.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Even my 3/4 helmet spends a lot of time with the face shield part way open. The last year or two my modular has spent collecting dust. When I used to wear it, I spent most of the coldest weather with the face shield cracked open so I could see, even in 20ºF weather. In warmer weather it was open a lot more.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Looks like it's time to bring my modular out again. Temps will be in the lower 40's, maybe even upper 30's. My beanie helmet gets a little drafty down in those ranges.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts