Motorcycle Forum banner

Which bike do you think I should get?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Any of those would be beginner friendly, the monkey is limited though in terms of top speed though it's no doubt a lot of fun around town and very cute.
Unless money isn't a concern you might want to consider a used bike for your first bike though, usually that first bike gets kind of beat up and it's a shame to do that to a new motorcycle. Maybe pick up a cheap used bike which already has a few warts for under $2k then ride it for a while, then sell it for around the same thing a year later and then buy the new bike of your dreams for your second bike!
I’ve checked Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Any bike runs and is under 2k is from the 80’s or earlier haha. I’ll keep looking for newer bike but I don’t have my hopes up. I think the monkey can get up to 60MPH. The roads around here are 50MPH. So it should be just enough for the highways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you looked at the Honda Grom? It'd be the size/speed of the monkey, but a more modern style(if that's your thing).

The Grom and monkey will probably do about 60mph max, so highway is out of the question with those(unless you like to impede traffic). If you're in town mostly, they'd be fine. And they'd no doubt be an excellent starter bike!

Otherwise as suggested, go sit on some bikes. Honda has a CBR 300 that'd be the styling of the others as well, and in the price range. Size wise, they're all good for beginners.
That Honda CBR 300 does look nice! Thanks for tell me about it.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I really would love to buy used. I’ll have to keep looking. So far used is mostly the same prices as the new sub 400cc bikes. So about modifications, does adding stuff like frame sliders and spools void a warranty like it would if you mod a car?
If you find a good used Ninja 250 or 500 (both are twins and great starter bikes) you can put those things on and it won't affect it. It's when you do radical changes to the frame or engine that everything changes value wise.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I’ve checked Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Any bike runs and is under 2k is from the 80’s or earlier haha. I’ll keep looking for newer bike but I don’t have my hopes up. I think the monkey can get up to 60MPH. The roads around here are 50MPH. So it should be just enough for the highways.
Boy you aren't kidding. There just isn't much for sale in your area. But it is wintertime. I bet more comes available in the next month or two. I should start buying Ninjas here and run em out there and sell them.

·
Visionary
4,400 Posts
That’s Right. Low CC has nothing to do with motorcycle safety. BUT The brand/manufacturing companies I have listed in my first post have high reliability and in turn would imply a higher safety standard for a beginner like me. I’ve got this information from Throttle Buff and Motorcycle.com
Care to explain that theory?
A big, fast bike in the hands of a beginner is a recipe for disaster.
Reliability is good but doesn’t have much to do with safety, very few motorcycle crashes are due to reliability issues, it’s the running into or getting run into that is behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Reliability is good but doesn’t have much to do with safety, very few motorcycle crashes are due to reliability issues, it’s the running into or getting run into that is behind them.

lt dawned on me that PTL may ride cruisers. Engine size is less important with those than sport bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh BS. So you're saying a new guy doesn't have a higher chance of killing himself on a 1000 Ninja than he does on a 250? Gimme a break. **** happens REALLY fast on big sport bikes.
That was my father's argument once.

big engine bikes usually expensive flagship models have details that I haven't found in cheaper bikes, I am not a mechanic but some bikes want to stay up while others want to fall

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Yeah you’re right; good thing I’m going for the small time bikes and not a 2500cc right out the gate. I’m assuming you’re referring to theory between reliability and safety. I find that the more reliable something is, the safer it is to use it. But hey maybe that's just me. I’m positive regular maintenance is huge when it comes to reliability for any brand but for now I can’t say I have the know how on how to change filters and clean carbs and all that. I also plan on riding smart. The last thing I need right now is a hospital bill that’s so big I can’t pronounce the numbers.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I really would love to buy used. I’ll have to keep looking. So far used is mostly the same prices as the new sub 400cc bikes. So about modifications, does adding stuff like frame sliders and spools void a warranty like it would if you mod a car?
I'm not sure but would imagine that adding "safety" mods, and not messing with the engine/brakes/exhaust/etc. would be okay. Best to check with the manufacturer though...

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,360 Posts
I see OP readjusted his poll, I'm still not casting a vote. Obviously I'm pro Honda, but they're all fine bikes, he just needs to sit on them and get a feel.

When my son did this for his first bike, while he's a big boy, he noticed right away, the bigger the CC typically meant the wider the feel between the legs. He wanted something relatively narrow for starters, felt he'd have better control.

He fits my Honda AT better than I do, but was smart enough to know better and went with the CRF 250l rally(basically same engine as the CBR 300, only smaller CC, physically the same dimensions).

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
That was my father's argument once.

big engine bikes usually expensive flagship models have details that I haven't found in cheaper bikes, I am not a mechanic but some bikes want to stay up while others want to fall
While you do make a valid point, if a new guy gets ahold of 125 horsepower in second gear he's not going to fair well, regardless of whatever gizmos the bike comes with.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
386 Posts
Get one of the new Royal Enfields.
Great price, killer warranty, and they look, well, not like a bug, but like a motorcycle.

Good luck out there guy.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Get one of the new Royal Enfields.
Great price, killer warranty, and they look, well, not like a bug, but like a motorcycle.

Good luck out there guy.
Cool bikes, but I think he clearly wants a sport bike.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Well, he might want a sportbike, but for an all around ride, that ain't what he needs.

Eh, of those 4, for sure not the monkey.
The Suzuki. Opinion based purely on looks.
Zoom zoom.
To each their own. After seeing what he thinks he wants, a Royal Enfield is about as far away as one can get.

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is my personal opinion: do not buy brand new bikes, do not buy from dealers. When you buy from private seller, take some mechanic with you.
Buy cruiser with side guard tubes (what is right name for them?) Vulcan 800 is good for beginner.
Don't ride in shorts, it is impossible to clean skin off muffler. I was very upset, bright and shiny Vulcan 750 muffler got an ugly spot! 😢

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
His mother may not like an 800 Vulcan, but I whole heartedly agree, don't ride in shorts. Haven't had any blisters on my legs in a long, long time, but I still remember them.:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
This is my personal opinion: do not buy brand new bikes, do not buy from dealers. When you buy from private seller, take some mechanic with you.
Buy cruiser with side guard tubes (what is right name for them?) Vulcan 800 is good for beginner.
Don't ride in shorts, it is impossible to clean skin off muffler. I was very upset, bright and shiny Vulcan 750 muffler got an ugly spot! 😢
What’s wrong with dealerships? Are they too greedy?

edit: Vulcan 800 looks like a good bike from a quick web search. I’ll have to research a bit more to decide if it’s meets my criteria.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Dealerships cost a lot more than just buying used from a seller on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc.

If you buy a new bike, there is a bundle of hidden costs on top of the ticket price. I bought my kids a new Yamaha Raptor 90 quad for Christmas. Sticker was $3099. Out the door it cost a little over $4200.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts