Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Ken and I just got my first motorcycle at the ripe old age of 54. This bike belonged to my neighbor Bill across the street, who owned it since new. I moved away from that neighborhood when I was nine years old, and thanks to the Internet we reconnected. Bill being the terrific guy that he is, has passed it on to me.

it’s a ran – when – parked 1966 Honda CB 160. To me, it’s the coolest bike in the world, because Bill owned it. It’s been idle since about 1986.

My goal is to get it up and running again as quickly as possible. Bill is short for this world, and I would like him to see it run again. Feel free to suggest anything I might need to know. I’m pretty handy and experienced with cars, but I’ve never worked on a motorcycle before. I’ve never even worked on a carburetor before!

Howdy and thanks.
Jeans Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel

Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Window

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. If you know cars the bike should be a cake walk, just be sure to have a good repaire manual handy for all the specs and pertinent info you will need. I also love bringing the older bikes back to life. Good luck can't Waite to see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tank is probably really bad inside. So that's a good place to start. Then check for spark. The carb is really easy to take apart and clean. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, likely even model specific for your application.
You're right about that. About half a gallon of black liquid and pounds of mud (rust?). If you've got tips about redoing a tank, please let me know. The tank is the most special part of the bike--Bill had it custom pinstriped back in the day. Also, this bike is twin carbs--double the fun!

Thanks for your encouagement!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You're right about that. About half a gallon of black liquid and pounds of mud (rust?). If you've got tips about redoing a tank, please let me know. The tank is the most special part of the bike--Bill had it custom pinstriped back in the day. Also, this bike is twin carbs--double the fun!

Thanks for your encouagement!
You have to take the tank off the bike and fill it with a whole bunch of nails or something else small and metal that you'll be able to fish out afterwards, and then close the cap and shake the tank back and forth with that in there for a really long time and eventually it will get better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have to take the tank off the bike and fill it with a whole bunch of nails or something else small and metal that you'll be able to fish out afterwards, and then close the cap and shake the tank back and forth with that in there for a really long time and eventually it will get better.
Take the tank to Home Depot and have the paint guy put it in the paint can shaker. Just kidding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts