Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and I've been riding for a few years now.
I bought my Hyosung GT250 a few years ago and last year it started giving me some problems with the starter. On cold starts it will basically turn a few times and then get "stuck". This will continue for about a minute while I keep pushing the start button and eventually it will start normally. Once the bike is warm it doesn't give more trouble until some time has passed. In trying to fix this I first thought it was the solenoid and I changed it. That didn't fix it. I bought a new battery and that didn't fix it. I changed the starter motor. That didn't work either. I've been told that it could be a current problem or a more electrical problem, but I'm not sure I know where to begin here. In case anyone's interested in seeing the issue I have posted a video of it in yt: http://youtu.be/Jnxmk1M7VLw.

It should be noted that there is that clicking and then a buzzing sound. In trying the "hit it with a hammer" approach(didn't really use a hammer) I noticed that while this is happening, the battery leads start getting warm. I'd love to hear ideas/suggestions of where to go from here. I appreciate the help in advance and apologize for the long post.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would start by checking for voltage drop between the battery and the starter. Compare the voltage at the battery with the voltage at the starter. If you are not getting a near identical reading at both points, there is likely a problem with the cable itself or a bad connection. Also double check the battery ground for damage or a loose or corroded connection at both ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dodsfall. Thanks for your reply. I've been told to do something like that, but thanks for the details. I will try this over the weekend and see where that gets me. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts