Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To jump fully into the whole EV thing, I recently bought an electric car. It's actually for my daughter who got her learner's permit the same day I got my M1 endorsement. Between that and the Zero, I did not fill up my tank for over 3 weeks. But the range on the car was really low and the State of Health (SoH, a measure of how good the battery pack is) was below the threshold where the manufacturer replaces the battery. So the dealer took the car and it is waiting for a replacement battery pack. They offered me a loaner hybrid car. It's actually not bad and get almost 50 MPG. I'm thinking it might work for two wheels as well.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I would think the gasoline engine in a hybrid scooter will be very under powered unless the engine is just there to recharge the battery. In that case it would be pretty good and might be the answer to the distance concern everyone has.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
The 1983 45 hp XS400 is getting 55 mpg, and the 98 hp Triumph is getting 48 mpg. They both get about 2 more mpg in the summer months. The 95 hp 79 XS1100 does about 40 mpg and 35 with the sidecar on and loaded.
All of which beat my Dodge van. 25 on the highway in the winter, and 30 in the summer.
An advantage of an E bike, would be they are easy to fire up when it is chilly. Noddy does not like the cold.

UK

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While motorcycle manufacturers could improve MPG with hybrids, I was also thinking about performance improvements. There are some impressive hybrid performance cars like the BMW i8 and the Acura NSX, or McLaren P1 and LaFerrari. Seems to me Harley-Davidson or Kawasaki could make hybrids with some of the benefits of gas (sound, feel, range) with the performance of electrics (torque, efficiency, smoothness).

Just a thought.

BC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts