Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Suzuki TR500 did not use T500 frames, they used beefed up frames to handle the power, companies like Seeley made them, if that is indeed a frame from a 125cc Benelli in the mock up, it's not going to work.

·
Ace Tuner
3,995 Posts
About 1973 Yamaha made a 350 and Suzuki made a 500. The Yamaha was more popular, and won Daytona, but the Suzuki was the better bike, IMO. I forget what the models of these bikes are, but they should be easy to find.
Fun Fact:
Connecting rods for the TZ350 have the same dimensions as the street going RD350 and can be used as an upgrade in the RD350.
Falicon sold me a pair that I ran in my RD back in the day.

S F

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes, but did you use the special silver (titanium?) cage bottom needle bearings that went with the rods? The bearing there was the critical breakage part. Rods generally do not snap in 2 strokes anywhere like 4 stroke unless that bearing seizes, generally from the roller cage breaking up. Thinking the rod was same material but likely modded with the bearing lube slots at bottom end loop. IIRC the standard bearing cages were copper colored.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looking at bike I suspect Trials may be right, a good 500 is going to twist that frame in a knot. If it makes any power anyway. If that's the major extent of the swingarm beef then oh no I see surprises ahead.

·
Ace Tuner
3,995 Posts
Yes, but did you use the special silver (titanium?) cage bottom needle bearings that went with the rods? The bearing there was the critical breakage part. Rods generally do not snap in 2 strokes anywhere like 4 stroke unless that bearing seizes, generally from the roller cage breaking up. Thinking the rod was same material but likely modded with the bearing lube slots at bottom end loop. IIRC the standard bearing cages were copper colored.
" bearing lube slots at bottom end loop " - top too.

Actually that was back when motorcycles and racing was only a hobby to me. I paid Falicon to replace the labyrinth seal, rods, true and weld the pins. They had a reputation for knowing their business. The bike did a few endurance races and a bunch of sprints so...

BTW. People said air cooled RD's could not last for eight hours of endurance racing. Can to! ... Lol

S F

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Why would you need to move your body weight back to At Least the center line of the rear axle for roadracing?
A trick bike set up for doing wheelies yes but a roadracer?

S F
Only in museums and not on the OP's build. (See pics)
Motorcycle roadrace chassis technology has improved just a little over the last 50+ years. :rolleyes:

S F
I see the problem; I said "I usually find I need to get my butt back at least to a line straight up from the rear axle."
and you read that as "body weight back to At Least the center line of the rear axle" because you ride the saddle like in your avatar and drag your feet like training wheels.

The OP's build IS a 50 year old frame from a bike designed for half as much engine as the one he wants to squeeze into it.

·
Ace Tuner
3,995 Posts
I see the problem; I said "I usually find I need to get my butt back at least to a line straight up from the rear axle."
and you read that as "body weight back to At Least the center line of the rear axle" because you ride the saddle like in your avatar and drag your feet like training wheels.
Oh grow up some. Talk is cheap. Cheap as the 1970 technology you keep relying on... So what does that make your opinion worth?

S F

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I don't rely on 1970's technology I rely on nice modern well maintained motorcycles and I know how to ride em and wrench them and race them pretty good too. They all work better if you ride the pegs, you'll learn that as You grow up

21 - 29 of 29 Posts