Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum recently! Nice to meet you folks.

I currently ride a 2005 VRod, I come from a cruiser background. It's currently in pieces (bent shift forks, but that's another story).

I am looking to join my faster canyon carving friends, and living in Southern California, Santa Clarita in particular, I have the itch (my VRod has a 67" wheelbase with a 32° lean angle, it doesn't cut it).

I've been looking at two bikes that are screaming my name: the Vitpilen 701, and the FTR1200.

They're both overpriced, they're both beautiful and aesthetic. They're both first-year motorcycles, which is something I avoid. I'm looking to get one in the future, once they become used bikes and the prices drop.

The Vitpilen: much more aesthetic, light (380lbs), 690cc single piston pushing 71hp, very maneuverable. Beautiful bike. Found an '18 for $8k. Sportier riding stance.

The Indian: beautiful motorcycle, heavier (500lbs), 1200cc motor pushing 120hp, reviews read that it feels "heavy but centered/planted). Retailing at $13.5k. More traditional riding stance. American (a big selling point to me).

Both have that modernized tracker-style look. Which to choose? I know there are better motorcycles out there (insert CB1000 here), but they don't have that look I am loving out of these. The Vitpilen isn't American-made, which owns the majority of why I'm split. I know I should get what makes me happy, and what I find attractive, but I want your input. What would you get and why? I have zero sportbike/traditional bike experience, what am I getting into?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NOTE: These are the only two motorcycles I'm interested in. I do not want other bikes, including the Svartpilen 701 or the FTR1200 S model.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
The husky has a high seat and low bars. It was a very funny riding position for me. Enough so that I would rule it out.
I sat on a 390 Duke last Sunday. It was nice. Some i am wondering what the 690 Duke would be like.
I do not know much about the 1200.
You sit in, not on, a good sport bike. Just my opinion, but not without a lot of thought and years of riding.

UK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! Was the riding position on the Husky different than that of a traditional sportbike?

·
Registered
399 Posts
They both look very interesting if you don't mind paying the freight. Personally I like the looks of the Indian but carving canyons would depend on your skill set. I would probably pick the Vitpilen 701, looks like you found one at a nice price. But then there is the skill set :grin: :

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Thanks for the input! Was the riding position on the Husky different than that of a traditional sportbike?
I ride an SV1000S Suzuki, which is a fast sport bike. It fits me quite well, after just a couple of mods. The Husky did not have the feel of a sport bike to me. It is similar to the V7 Guzzi for feel. I would bypass both of them for that reason.

Sit on a bunch of bikes. Find what works for you in the comfort department. No matter how good the bike is, if you are not comfortable, you will fall out of favor with it.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
For sale: Indian FTR1200S. Never abused, raced or stunted. Only issues are a slipping clutch, bald rear tire, scuffed seat, scuffed license plate and frame sliders. 1,000 easy miles. Grandma says bike must go:grin: Call my Grandma for the price.:kiss:

Call me @ the SO CAL the Riverside county detention center for minors. Suite 666:devil:

In my very humble opinion, stay away from the Husky as they are problematic, not reliable, expensive to maintain and there are very few dealers.:surprise:

All kidding aside, that Lil Indian looks cool:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
If you intend to do stoppies, wheelies, smoke the back tyre, stand on the seat, and other stuff, the Indian could be the bike for you.

85 pounds of torque is a lot, 120 hp is common. Many smaller engines make more. So roll on performance should be great.
Once upon a time, many bikes weighed around 350 pounds. Modern cruisers have moved up to silly weights.
Ducati has some models under 400. An SV650 Suzuki is about 370 pounds. My SV1000S is 412. These are dry weights. The Indian is 497, so it will be a bit slow in the twisties compared to some of the other sport bikes. It is also naked, so anything over about 90 is going to be breezy. At higher speeds the tucked behind the fairing guys, will leave you behind.

But high speed riding may not be your style. Nor twisties. It will depend on your experience, and if you can control riding beyond your skill level. It is certainly a bike that can run against many others.

When it comes to the twisties, many bigger more powerful bikes, get left behind by good handling smaller bikes, ridden by skilled riders. Especially in the rain.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I need to add. I would like to ride the Indian, but not the Husky. Also, I too am past my best before date, and do not drag parts when cornering anymore. Some kids are going faster than me, on some of these modern rockets, but not faster in the rain.

UK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the input guys! You guys are very helpful.

I can ride at high speeds in my Harley with no windscreen (100-130mph) and no real issues.

Am I looking at wind affecting me different on a sportier bike?

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I will add. Doing 120 to 130 for a short burst is a lot different than a sustained run over 100. Full face helemts help with the lack of front window. The larger the front window, the more likely you will get buffeting past 90. But a good fairing, and a high screen, will let your wear an open face helmet, with shades or glasses. You need goggles for steady higher speeds, with an open face helmet and a small screen. A scarf over your nose and jaw is also a good plan. But all fixed with a full face helmet. When I check the gear other riders are using, I can tell if they will run much past 90 for a while.

Naked bikes need elbows down, chin on the tank, and a kinked neck, which gets boring very fast. Some ride with legs back, if the foot pegs are too far forward. Knees out create a lot of drag. I would need to sit on the Indian to comment further.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I will add. Doing 120 to 130 for a short burst is a lot different than a sustained run over 100.

UK
I went from Fort Stockton to El Paso at 100mph once. But you are talking about on a bike. Guess this doesn't count. Had a DPS officer on my tail all the way. Just outside El Paso a few miles he pulled up beside me a yelled over his outside speaker to slow down in New Mexico and he slowed down and turned around as I started to slow down as well. No red lights or anything. I was shocked. Now this was back in 1971 timeframe and in a car.:wink2: No way would I try it today. Different world.:angel: This was at night too. Picked him up shortly after 1:00am.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ride only wearing full faced helmets. I've crashed and rolled before, landing several times on my face. So I take it windscreen wouldn't be an issue for me?

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Sit on one, and see if you still think the same. It does not fit me.
I did not check the price of the 700, but a 400 dual purpose Husky is $4000- more than a 400 Suzuki. It has some better gear, but for gravel roads, not needed.

UK

·
Registered
207 Posts
Me, if I had to choose between those 2 I'd take the Vitpilen 701 because of weight & cost but I'd hope someone could make a bolt-on flywheel weight for it. I've heard that engine runs like a paint shaker under 4,000 rpm, especially under load. That's where a thumper should run best.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Drive by poster?????

The 1200FTR has to be seen and ridden to be believed. It is almost a superbike with an engine as smooth as silk. 125HP in a 490lb+- bike is fantastic.:grin:

I have a new 2018 Scout and it really hauls the oats:smile:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts