Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to riding and to this forum. A couple months ago i bought a 2000 Honda cbr 600 f4. So far its is a good bike and i like it. when I ride it my right hand at the base of my thumb starts to cramp. So my question is what am I doing wrong and what can i do to fix it?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I get that from time to time as well on my SV650. I believe that it comes from the riding position...leaning forward you are putting pressure on your hands and wrists. Sometimes after a while my fingers try to go numb on me too. My solution is, l am going to put handlebar risers on my bike so l can sit up straight

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Cramping of the hand(s), particularly the Throttle hand, is common for all riders. It happens to beginners who take extended rides, and it happens to seasoned veterans of motorcycling.

If it didn't, there wouldn't be the optional tools out there to help us with it.

There is a product called a "Crampbuster" that you can put on your Throttle, that gives the palm of your hand a resting place, whilst maintaining speed:

http://crampbuster.com/

And there are "Cruise Control" units of various types that are available for motorcycles if you wish. This one is a low-end solution. There are other more elaborate and expensive ones:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/vista-cruise-universal-cruise-control-metric-cruisers-with-1-inch-bars/part/VC-07-4041

What I have learned to do, is to keep my hands (particularly, but not exclusively my throttle hand) from a "death grip" on the handlebars. I will sometimes hold the throttle grip with my thumb and first finger, while extending out my other fingers and exercising them for a moment or two.

I would then revert to holding the throttle with my other fingers, and exercise the thumb and first finger a bit.

I will often go back-n-forth between these two holds, until any cramping goes away.

Over time, the cramping will reduce, but you will still experience a level of fatigue that can't be avoided on a long ride. Having a tool like the two mentioned above, and/or exercising your hand(s) while riding, will make a big difference in your endurance and comfort level.

-Soupy

·
10,763 Posts
Do sit ups. Seriously, the riding position of sport bikes requires you to lean forward. If your core muscles do not take the strain, your wrists do.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Many years ago when I got wrapped up in water skiing the only problem I had was my hands getting tired. A friend gave me a pair of spring loaded hand grips to exercise and strengthen my hands. They worked wonders.

Since my bike has cruise control I have no issue with hand fatigue but I also know when I first started riding I had a tendency to grip the throttle too tight and that definitely cause my hands to cramp up. Once I learned to relax my grip the cramping stopped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get the same thing when riding a sportsbike. Too much prolonged pressure on the fleshy part of the palm at the base of the thumb pinching the nerves. I try to occasionally take the pressure off by relaxing the grip and resting my hand on the grip at the base of my fingers.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Yep, I use the crampbuster.........
My hand grip has strengthened over time, but I wanted to try the Cramp Buster. The reason I didn't was because I was concerned about accidentally advancing the throttle if I jerked my hand. Suppose while I was resting my palm on the Cramp Buster I sneezed. I could push the crib Buster down accidentally, causing a throttle advance and screwing myself up royally, right?

I was also concerned about the Cramp Buster deteriorating the grip because of the friction. Have you had any noticeable issues with it?

-soupy

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
My hand grip has strengthened over time, but I wanted to try the Cramp Buster. The reason I didn't was because I was concerned about accidentally advancing the throttle if I jerked my hand. Suppose while I was resting my palm on the Cramp Buster I sneezed. I could push the crib Buster down accidentally, causing a throttle advance and screwing myself up royally, right?

I was also concerned about the Cramp Buster deteriorating the grip because of the friction. Have you had any noticeable issues with it?

-soupy

I bought these because of my CTS and I've never experienced any kind of problem with accidental throttle advance and I've used them for 12k now. Well worth the cost IMO.

https://www.denniskirk.com/595820.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CPPFmO-b2sACFWwQ7AodnBAA5Q

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
"Suppose while I was resting my palm on the Cramp Buster I sneezed. I could push the crib Buster down accidentally, causing a throttle advance and screwing myself up royally, right?"

Most of them are mounted out towards the end of the grips, like the throttle boss on OTD's grips. You just rest the side/edge of your palm on them, not like you're pushing down full center palm. Even so, you're still holding a grip, so it's not much different then if you sneeze without one. Yeah, I guess you might get a slight blip if it catches you off guard, but it's not like you're going to twist a wrist like you're drag racing.

Several people have suggested working out and building up your throttle muscles too, and that's also a great idea, if you're physically able to do that. We do have riding muscles that are different then what we use day to day.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I've been using mine for 3 years now and the ONLY problem I've had is on a long trip it sometimes slides around and I have to pull it back up to where it needs to be. Like they said, a sneeze is no big deal. I don't think there is any more chance of blipping the throttle with one than without one. And, for the price you aren't loosing much if you don't like it. Mine cost less than $10.00.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Agree. The cost is no big deal. Dirt cheap really.

I was concerned also (and nobody mentioned any issue, so it probably isn't) as I said, about the degradation of the hand grip, because of having a hard material plastic piece "sliding around" on the grip and/or its firm hold ON the grip. Any issues there?

The amount of room left over, to move from the Cramp Buster to the normal grip on MY bike would be sufficient I suppose.

I found that over time, my hand has strengthened to a point where a hold of the throttle for long stretches is not a problem, as long as I move around as stated in a former posting of mine in this Thread.

When I bought the bike, and it had the Vista Cruise Control, I was thrilled. That is until I went to disengage it one day, and it spun around and I managed to hit my Kill Switch at 50 MPH in traffic!! That's when I took it off the bike!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, and it is just that, the position you need to take on to ride a sport bike is your problem. Constantly leaning on your hands and arms is going to give you problems no matter what you do. The only permanent cure I can see is to get away from that style bike and at least go to a standard. I ride a pulled back touring bike but you really don't need to go that far to relieve arm/wrist issues. Just getting away from a bike that forces you to lean over the tank should do it.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
You don't need to buy any accessories, or go looking for a new bike.

You just need to learn proper riding posture for sportbikes, in addition to allowing your body time to develop strength in previously underused muscles, like your throttle hand thumb.

Practice squeezing with your legs to hold your weight when you're riding, especially when braking, to take the weight off your hands.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Also learn to focus your weight on your lower end.... with practice youll remove the majority of your weight from your hands. Its how I got around on my ZX-10R

1 - 19 of 19 Posts