Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen a couple of riders doing this around LA lately. Dont know what they are thinking ... just more folks trying to get to Motorcycle Heaven.

Case in point, there was a guy this morning on surface streets. On a major street in L.A. - with 6 lanes of traffic (3 on each side). He was on a cruiser and in the fast lane ... getting ready to switch to the next lane over (to the right). He was sitting almost on the bumper of the car immediately ahead of him, just hanging off the right hand side of the vehicle. He wasnt more that a couple of feet behind the car.

There's no conceivable way you can react ... if that driver ahead of you touches their brakes. You ARE going down. I have no idea why some MC riders go so close to the car in front of them ... it's kinda' a leap of faith that the cage is going to drive in a steady fashion and not doing anything abrupt.

just risky.

dT

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What are some people thinking? I try and stay as far away from cages as possible. We want them to share the road with us, we need to share the road with them also. Maybe they like the taste of metal?

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts

Dang. I think I have a video for everything...Great point on the bad car habits, in cars we tend to stare at the bumper in front of us.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Not only does the rider have to account for their own reaction and stopping distance, but also that of the traffic behind them.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
When you crash into some motorist's bumper 9/10 are just gonna drive off and leave you laying there anyway.

At least a third of 'em are uninsured, the ones talking on cellphones won't ever realize you hit 'em, and the rest know it's your fault and don't plan to be late for work because of a new scratch in an old bumper.

The guy in the Range Rover who stops? He'll take pictures of his bumper before he asks if you're ok.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you folks are spot on with your analysis ... it is a bad riding behavior that comes from bad habits while driving cars.

as I was watching that rider yesterday - I was thinking that he was just "not that long for this world". He just didnt "have things together enough" to be riding dense traffic on the streets. It happens ... sometimes with alarming regularity. You see MC riders and you just shake your head - they have a combo of bad riding habits that will prove to be lethal. BUT there is nothing you can do about it. Sadly.

dT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts