Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive tested them with my multimeter and not sure what readings are acceptable. I cut on my multimeter ( analog) and touch the probes together and then adjust my zero. Then I take the red probe and stick it into the kill switch wire, and then the black probe and stick it to where the condenser wire would hook up and I get a zero ohms reading. Then I hook up the red probe to the Spark plug wire ( cap removed) and the black probe to the non condenser side wire ( kill switch wire) and it reads at about 10000 ohms. Ive heard some people say that they test their coils and get a reading close to 3 ohms ( x 1000 ) is the 3 ohms reading im supposed to get for the first test that I do or what. Any insight would be great... if not then I have to spend 110 dollars on some dynatech coils. thanks .... My first post.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Yes, the first test should be about 3 ohms, which I doubt your meter can resolve. The real test is to hook it up normally, with the points open. Verify you have battery volts at the condenser/points side. With a spark plug in the high voltage cap and braced against the head or other engine ground, momentarily short the condenser/points side to engine ground, or crank the engine over, and look at the quality of the spark. If it's a fairly bright white or slightly yellowish-white, you're good, at least statically. It could still be bad when it heats up. This assumes a strong battery; you can (carefully) jump to a non-running car's battery to make sure this is the case.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You can't properly test an old coil with an Ohm meter. The predominant faiure mode is high voltage arcing down and that only happens under use. And most do get sicker as the coil heats up so it may not show up at all unless you ride it a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright will do ill let u guys know the results... but i do not have a battery will it still be fine or if i hook it up to my car battery without the car on.... i should be good right the car battery is 12v

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Yes, you can use a car battery, as long as the engine is not running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts