Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, sorry for all the questions but I just cant figure some things out and need an extra brain to pick. Anyways, so one the stock mufflers on my bike was cracked so I decided to get new ones. Picked up shortys since they were really cheap on craigslist. Took off the exhaust header pipes and wrapped it as well as installed the new mufflers. Problem is now, I cant get the headers back on. It is too tight for them to get back on.

You might be able to see from this that there is not much room to get them back on, no idea what to do.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Yes, more details needed.
Is the wrap pressing against the engine case? The frame tubes? Are you trying to mount the headers with the mufflers already bolted on to the frame? Or, trying to attach the headers with the mufflers attached to them? Not enough beer?:biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, more details needed.
Is the wrap pressing against the engine case? The frame tubes? Are you trying to mount the headers with the mufflers already bolted on to the frame? Or, trying to attach the headers with the mufflers attached to them? Not enough beer?:biggrin:
Where exactly is it too tight? It's not entirely clear where the problem lies.
Sorry about that guys, so the headers are attached to the mufflers as so.

So, when I am trying to attach it to my bike, the frame is wide at the bottom and narrows as it reaches the top.

So to get the headers off, I had to tilt the headers so that the part where the muffler attach was on the ground. The headers also did not have any mufflers on at the time of removal.

So, now with my mufflers on, the pipes are too long for me to do the same process (I would rather not remove the mufflers to get the headers back on).

With how it is situated now, the headers can not get to the narrower part of the frame to be able to get past it.

Hope that clears up the problem. So, I had the idea of somehow getting it into a wheelie type position so that I have more room underneath but have not figured out if that would even be possible.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only options I can think of is to get the motorcycle up on a lift or remove the mufflers from the pipes.
Well.. With my very lacking knowledge of motorcycle I wasnt thinking... I didnt have the mufflers on when I took the pipes off. I will probably end up taking the mufflers back off and on when the pipes are on the bike unless I can find a lift somehow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts