Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read countless threads on this and I've done this a few times without as much difficulty as this time. Saw several different techniques on threads doing a search including a pick, paint can opener, bending a screwdriver, hitting the gasket 90 degrees all around, etc. None of these would work. The last one I didn't want to try (although I've used it before and it works well) cause the gasket looked very crushed and close enough to surface where it would be easy to do damage. So, after scratching my head a while I was thinking how can I get behind gasket without doing damage. Well, first I soaked the **** out of it with penetrating oil overnight. Then went into my basement to have a look and voila! A roofing nail has a head that is very thin/sharp and can get behind the gasket. I clamped it in vice grips very tightly and pryed all around, then whacked it (the tool not the nail).with a hammer working my way around. It came right out. Hopefully this will help someone in the future. It works great and they get right behind there cause they're so thin. The face of the head gives you just enough area so you can pull/pry too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

So, I've read countless threads on this and I've done this a few times without as much difficulty as this time. Saw several different techniques on threads doing a search including a pick, paint can opener, bending a screwdriver, hitting the gasket 90 degrees all around, etc. None of these would work. The last one I didn't want to try (although I've used it before and it works well) cause the gasket looked very crushed and close enough to surface where it would be easy to do damage. So, after scratching my head a while I was thinking how can I get behind gasket without doing damage. Well, first I soaked the **** out of it with penetrating oil overnight. Then went into my basement to have a look and voila! A roofing nail has a head that is very thin/sharp and can get behind the gasket. I clamped it in vice grips very tightly and pryed all around, then whacked it (the tool not the nail).with a hammer working my way around. It came right out. Hopefully this will help someone in the future. It works great and they get right behind there cause they're so thin. The face of the head gives you just enough area so you can pull/pry too.
This is a great suggestion. Worked perfectly after having struggled with this for quite a while. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts