Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im trying to change the rings and top end gaskets of my 1985 Honda Nighthawk 700, and Ive successfully removed the cylinder head, carbs, pipes ect but I cant, for the life of me, seem to remove the cylinder jug portion. I know there are four bolts/nuts connecting it to the crank case but the problem is, I cant get any tool to fit in that tight space to remove the nuts! Socket wrench is too big, and 10mm wrench the bike came with is slightly too fat to fit.

Ive seen many people on youtube remove it but the videos never show EXACTLY how they do it. Would anyone know how i can get these bolts out of here?

Ive added a few pictures just in case that would help, I really would hope four bolts dont bring me down....

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
1,732 Posts
There is a tool called a 'crows foot adapter'. At least that's what I've always heard them called. Maybe that will work.
It's like an open end wrench that was cut off just far enough down the shank to leave room for a 3/8" ratchet extension to connect.
It makes for a 'stand off' tool of sorts so you can get into tight spots.

Another idea would be to use the boxed end of a combination open end / box end ignition wrench tool.
I believe they're called ignition tools because they are very small. Being so small the open end part would probably not be strong enough.

Also, an offset open end tool might work. I'm thinking they're offset by about 90 and 45 degrees.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
I have T bar spanners for 10 12 and 13 mm nuts / bolt heads. They are six sided and thinner and smaller at the bottom than a socket. A bit of heat may help with getting them moving.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
1,732 Posts
Here is a pic... All are 10mm.
The open end with the swivel socket deal on one end (can't remember what it's called) would be the first I'd try if it will fit in the work area.
See my first post for a description of the other tools.
You might have to chase down a Snap-On truck to find some of these tools. (Bring lots of money). Lol

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts