Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Rent a storage locker you can keep a vehicle in.
A reasonable seasonable solution, but a hassle for daily storage!!

Just accept that having the bike stolen is part of the potentiality of things, and have great Inaurance coverage.

·
6,589 Posts
The OP has been gone forever! Maybe he was stolen???:smile_big:

Any bike, anywhere can be stolen. Battery powered grinders can cut through anything in a matter of minutes and most 'steering locks,' can be broken by forceful twisting of the handlebars. A small tow truck with the lifting strap setup can pull up and strap the bike up and leave in a few minutes.:sad:

Harley's have an ignition switch on lots of their bikes that has an OFF position that many owner's use and then REMOVE their key----but that doesn't prevent theft as the ignition tumbler can be turned to the run position and then ridden away:crying: *** At the Sturgis Rally, probably 25% of the bikes that were parked didn't have the forks locked and the key tumbler in the locked position. Many bikes parked on residential streets were just rolled into scum bags garages and stolen in broad daylight--or after dark.:surprise:

When I bought my first Goldwing in 1997, I bought a Honda OEM Goldwing cover, with Goldwing stenciled in huge letters on the thing and I have used it on my Harley's that I've owned since then and many other bikes and you know what, no one has stolen my bike's or the cover: Who wants a Goldwing cover or to steal a Goldwing:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,863 Posts
Digital Guard Dawg makes an excellent Keyless Alarm and Start Circuit that is an excellent deterrent on Theft, although many thefts these days are a group that lift the bike and Go .. Best to just have good insurance that will replace your Ride ..

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Digital Guard Dawg makes an excellent Keyless Alarm and Start Circuit that is an excellent deterrent on Theft, although many thefts these days are a group that lift the bike and Go .. Best to just have good insurance that will replace your Ride ..
Bingo.:crying:

·
Nightfly
3,762 Posts
The only time I felt my bike was secure was when it was sitting in my living room and my dog slept next to it. When it got stolen it was in a friends garage, strapped to a center pole, garage door double locked with cameras outside. My bike and 2 others were taken in one night. Never found the perps. This is the bike I've been working on since that time, almost ready to go.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
You got to have trained ones that obey the "sit" and "stay" commands. The wild ones tend to do whatever they want and usually crawl off.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The OP seems to be in a tough situation. Living in an apartment complex, (possibly in the same area as a thief) and nothing to secure his bike to in an open parking lot. It seems alarms, locks and covers are his only defense against potential thieves.
Trying to think outside the box but...what? Maybe a logging chain through both wheels with a big a** padlock on it? A cable lock around the seat and rear wheel? Buy an old cargo van and park inside it? Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure a lot of apartment dwellers have this same problem.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
I used just a plain big padlock on my first Harley for a couple years. So you are correct in that if you always use one you won't be surprised. The lock went on first then a full cover. Later it was of course the cover off then the lock. It was routine. But I stop doing that when I read about a case where 4 guys just lifted an Electra Glide and put it in a van and drove off. So I just said, screw it. It it happens it happens. Fortunately nothing ever happened. Extra insurance of what they now call "Replacement" Insurance with documentation of all added accessories and modifications is the only sleep like a baby way. But I like the park it in a cheap van idea.:thumbsup:

·
Visionary
2,987 Posts
Ride a Victory Vision and you’ll never worry about theft again.

They are too damn big and heavy to roll away or carry anywhere and have no resale value these days anyway :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Get some cardboard tubes, paint'em red, stencil "ACME" on them, plug the ends and run a few wires out the ends. Hang this on the side of your engine and run the wires up under the fuel tank.

Cover the bike with a nice, heavy duty bike cover secured with a cable lock. Attache a device that will make a loud clicking noise when the cover is raised up just a little bit.

Now when Mr. Bike Thief takes a peek under the cover, hears the "click", sees the red ACME tubes wired to your engine,...then you flip him with a rubber band and yell "BOOM!" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts