Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Had to do that this week - picked my Goldwing back up after a hastily executed u-turn.

That's how to do it!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I haven't laid my bike down yet, but I'm wondering if it will be more or less awkward picking it up (angle wise) with my Crash Bars on it?

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I don't think the crash bars will get in the way. You could always lay it down on something soft and give it a try.
I wasn't worried about them getting "in the way" (thus the reason for the paranthetical statement about "angle").

I was wondering about the greater angle to the bike in relationship to the ground, BECAUSE of the Crash Bars, and if that changes in any way, the lifting technique.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I haven't laid my bike down yet, but I'm wondering if it will be more or less awkward picking it up (angle wise) with my Crash Bars on it?

-Soupy
Crash bars will help. They will keep the bike from being quite as far over. I have the ultimate crash bars on my Vision in its tip over protection system. The bike will only go over by about 60 degrees total. That means I start out at 30 degrees from horizontal and that makes my 900 lb bike feel lighter.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I saw a lady who laid down her Goldwing on purpose to prove one can pick up a bike by themselves. She was a tiny girl, smaller than me. I was simply amazed when she used this same technique. It works!! I've seen guys struggle to pick up the same bike using a team effort. My jaw dropped to the ground...

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Crash bars will help. They will keep the bike from being quite as far over............
So the increased angle (rather than parallel to the road) doesn't need a different approach to lifting........it'll just give me a head start.

Got it! thanks!

-Soupy

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Thats the proper technique.... I actually never really knew. I did more of a deadlift when I had to lift my Honda Shadow and Brothers Ninja... hopefully I dont need to test this out anytime soon

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
How to pick up ANY bike...effortlessly...

I use a block and tackle --- hung off a skyhook.

A small hole in the ceiling easily accommodated this Bimmer owner..

(Courtesy of EZPull....http://www.happy-trail.com/images/products/4/ezpull_lifting_motorcycle.jpg)

Here's a guy doing a "Big Lift" on a Ducati. (When you go down in LA, you REALLY go down...)

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/092412-2013-ducati-multistrada-1200s-skyhook.jpg

Here's an Albuquerque motor policeman who has just successfully used a commercial product --- FHLS --- Fiesta Helium Lifting System -- to right his downed bike -- which, coincidentally was a Harley FLHS.

The home-brew version of this involves party balloons and a cannister of helium....but whatever you do don't, don't do what THIS guy did ---

...he forgot the BB gun...

The developer (above right) of the FHLS knock-off system wearing the burn mask initially experimented with using lower cost hydrogen for her "budget" lifting system.

One little spark and...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The real key to picking up a bike is simple. Find a good solid place to grab it that allows you to partly extend your legs. Do not ever try to lift with your arms, they are not strong enough. Just use them to hold on to your lift points with your arms fully extended. Back up into the bike until it is as far up as you want it to go. Your legs are plenty strong enough to do that. Once the bike is where you want it, use the kickstand to hold it and let you get into a familiar position.
There are lots of videos on line with tiny girls lifting Harleys. It really is as easy as it looks in those videos.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Crash, I just got to say, I love watching your videos. There's times I've laughed so hard, I had to wash the coffee off my monitor.....They've been very instrumental in my learning process. Thank you so much for taking the time to make them.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I like that the videos are well-produced. There are so many how-to videos out there that are overly long and rambling, unscripted, unedited, and painful to watch.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Here's to Crash. :thumbsup:

I would still like one on how to pick up a bike on gravel on a slope. :D You can practice at my gated driveway entrance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts