Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how to order bootleg parts by lowest price.

yes, the manual will tell you the specs of any part. its your decision when to go out of manual to do your repair.

It is always possible to get electrical parts with higher specs and cheaper prices by going out of manual. electrical parts are easy. say the manual says the headlight is a h4 30w 600 lumen halogen bulb. a 5w h4 800lumen led headlight bulb is brighter costs $1.40 shipping incuded. but now you can run a tiny gel battery or the holy grail of electrical repairs, the battery eliminator.

carb swaps without jetting. I have a 360 honda twin. two cylinder. thats a few less cc's than the free carb that comes with the el chepo lifan crate 200cc motor. 160cc vs 200cc. hell yes is this close enough that I can run this carb without changing any jetting. pulls throughout the range with no flat spots. this actually is a quality part. it has a new tech needle valve. I can leave the gas on all night and not be flooded the next day! 30$ for 2 with modern wire mesh pods. under the removable made in china sticker the casting says made in japan!

petcock, order by engine size. my gas tank is honda 16mm bung. I ordered the bootleg 16mm honda 500cc petcock. 6$ shipping included. works fine but had a problem. there are 2 types. one is rebuildable the other is rivited. rivited is ****. the rebuildable petcock is a qualaty part. its easy to see in the sellers pics. the reserve tube is brass not plastic and has a plastic screen that fits over the brass tube. and the plate that holds the lever has screws not rivits.

pipes, 2t pipes are tuned to engine size. 4t are not, you can throw out the mufflers. db killers in the manifold pipe only requires 2 tiny holes in the pipes to secure the screws. this does not ruin anything. you could easily put mufflers back if you want. you won't, and will be happy to rock cafe style.

antiques and lemons. my 360 has a design flaw. its a lemon. the camchain slipper, guide and tensioner are defective with an antique design. after replacing the stock parts 3 times in 2k miles I went out of manual. knowing todays reparirs is a valuable skill. there are 2 out of manual repairs. I saw a pro repair. the pro took another top end, one with a tensioner and swapped it out. I did not have another top end so I ordered a modern kz440 slipper. had enough of the broken slipper to make the quide. bracket to fit the kz was easy. used 1 inch cold rolled band irin from home depot.tensioner is home made busa style made from a bolt and a threaded piece of cold rolled band cut to size. best 20$ I ever spent on ebay. quality time with an angle grinder and hand drill.

bought a '74 kx125 2t. tranny stuck in gear. no replacement part is avalible. obsolete and no longer sold. the guy started the repair, found the broken spring and gave up. looked at the pics on ebay and ordered a shift shaft spring that looked close. again a few minutes with the grinder. used the old spring as the bushing. 3k miles later sold it for 3 times what I paid for it because I streeted it.

moral of the story. think, go out of manual. read enough repairs to know how its done today. use common sense. how did I street the kx. I know from the british sites they use a 38t rear sprocket on small 2t's. to get a brit motorcycle license you need to ride a 125 first. ok, no problem except its not available. got a rear sprocket from a pit bike. drilled 4 holes to fit the antique rear wheel bolt pattern. could not dill it. was way to hard. put it on my stove then heated till cherry. let it cool slowly. waied 2 hours than drilled the holes.

did I do something wrong? you know the old mechanics saying never tamper with temper. did I **** thing up? this is where common sense plays a part. they make aluminum rear sprockets. thats way softer than un heat treated steel. anyway 3k later no wear.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I have done all of that, and some. The one thing that makes a difference is knowledge. Knowing what you can substitute and where you may have an issue when or if there is a failure is the biggest issue. Get a noob doing any of this, they will, if I tagged a % to it would say half will have problems, and half of them will go somewhere (ie this or any forum) saying something is failed and not understand what they did wrong. Power of Knowledge and the power of deduction and the power intuition via experience makes a lot of difference. The old mechanics I know say don't Screw with it if it is not broke, well because they are usually talking to non-mechanically minded folks when they say that :p

-BK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
"The old mechanics I know say don't Screw with it if it is not broke--" Aphrodite quote:smile:

My Dad used to tell me the same thing when I was 12 to 17 and loved to take motorcycles apart to "Make them run better," and 99% of the time I did.:smile_big:

As a past Harley big twin builder and dyno winner, 4 and 2 stroke engine builder, track and desert racer, Baja racer and even dedicated Trials rider, I always enjoyed messing with stuff basically because I never trusted someone else to work on my expensive bikes!:surprise:

Some pimple faced pre-delivery guy, isn't going to do a valve check on ANYTHING I own believe me:surprise:

$800 to $1,000 for a yearly complete service on the kinds of bikes I LIKE, won't be paid by me. Maintenance is purposely made very difficult by the MFG's so that they can reap profits in their service departments and most will insinuate that in order to keep the nice warranty intact, the new bike must be serviced by trained technician's at the dealership. This isn't true by LAW in the United States but if the owner messes something up, the warranty may not be covered. To check my statement out, go to Youtube and type in: Harley Davidson warranty problems:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

Motorcycle's are fairly simple, especially the pre fuel injection ones. The drive by wire, ECM/ ECU controlled late models can be tougher to diagnose for sure.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The 1500 Goldwing had a major load of relays. Don't remember exactly how much they were from Honda, $10 - $15 a piece it seems.

Searched around on the net and found Radio Shack had the relays for like $3.50 a piece. Lots of good info on the net, but got to watch out for BS. :)

I've found many repairs with parts from NAPA are better than some factory parts. Automotive alternator for your 1200 Goldwing anyone? I think you can buy a "kit" now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1500 Goldwing had a major load of relays. Don't remember exactly how much they were from Honda, $10 - $15 a piece it seems.

Lots of good info on the net, but got to watch out for BS. :)

I've found many repairs with parts from NAPA are better than some factory parts. Automotive alternator for your 1200 Goldwing anyone? I think you can buy a "kit" now.
relays are ordered by spec. you only need to know what amperage to buy. 10a ice cube relays are cheap.

+1 on the bull**** on the net. you get sucked into the honda twins website by downloading a manual for free. looks like a good site on the surface, it is as long as you don't order their parts.

automotive regulator. just say '75 ford ltd. no kit needed. its universal.

you want good info on the net. you got it. there are only 2 types of modern motorcycle r/r's for an alternator. one is universal the other is not. sohc 750/ cb400 4 honda type is universal. will work on a Goldwing.

like I said there are only 2 r/r possibilities. alternator r/r's are simple. either one field coil on the bike is grounded or not. if it is grounded then use the sohc 750/ cb400 4 honda type. if no field coils are grounded then you can either ground one field wire and run the universal r/r, or use an r/r with 2 field wires. the honda ascot uses a r/r for 2 ungrounded field wires.

anyway this is just an example. Goldwing r/r's with the correct plug is 12.99$ shipping included on ebay. I would just order the correct part.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Repairing old bikes is fun. I like to find the specs on the part I need then I'll run straight to Amazon and have them sent same day shipping for a fraction of what an OEM part would cost. OEM carbs for old bikes can run you more than you paid for the thing! That's a whole lotta nope!

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Repairing old bikes is fun. I like to find the specs on the part I need then I'll run straight to Amazon and have them sent same day shipping for a fraction of what an OEM part would cost. OEM carbs for old bikes can run you more than you paid for the thing! That's a whole lotta nope!

I do a dirt bag challenge every winter. I don't live in California so I can't go to the rally but I love the concept of low rent bikes.
if you don't know about the challenge look it up on google. its a real thing and a good read.

I use the mechanics first rule. if it doesn't work use force.
second rule. if you forced it and it breaks then it needed replacement anyway!

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
On my 79 XS1100 Yamaha, there is a relay that delays the head light coming on until the engine fires, and another one that turns on a dash light if the head light fails. I removed both and did not replace them. Had to rearrange a few wyres. Next on my list is the stupid kill switch. There is another unit, that shuts off the ignition if the bike goes extreme tippy. It is a simple device.

Otherwise I have spare bikes for parts. Cheaper to buy complete, than a bunch of different parts.

UK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
kill is easy. use an automotive toggle switch. put it in a place were access is easy but secret. wire it in so that when the switch is open the bike is dead. what I'm saying is wiring to the starter solenoid is a better idea than wiring to the fuel pump. reason being you don't want dead battery.

glad to hear you went out of manual to bypass useless relays. spare parts bike is a +. you might want to hack the tippy relay for your hidden kill.

I live in a high crime urban area. hidden kill is necessary in my area.

Maintenance is purposely made very difficult by the MFG's so that they can reap profits in their service departments and most will insinuate that in order to keep the nice warranty intact, the new bike must be serviced by trained technician's at the dealership. This isn't true by LAW in the United States but if the owner messes something up, the warranty may not be covered. To check my statement out, go to Youtube and type in: Harley Davidson warranty problems:smile_big:
owned a commie bike. totally different story when every part fits every bike and planned obsolescence is not a thing. having a jawa was eye opening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts