Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yammaha Pw80 and ive been wondering how to make it street legal.
Is it possible?
is it worth it?

thanks
-Lee

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
Depends on what state you live in. I know in AZ you can make just about anything street legal(saw a street legal Banshee while I was there in school).
I know there are aftermarket companies that make street legal kits but I've never seen one for a pw80. I would first look into the laws in your area. See if it is even legal to convert it to street since it has an "off HWY use only" title.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
"How" is a good question.

Another good question would be "Why?"

Even if it was street legal, it's not a suitable motorcycle for the road. Too small.

·
Paramedic
860 Posts

This is a street legal pitbike. Looks to be an SDG. Believe it or not I have seen a street legal crf50 on the street in CA.

:mad: Can't get the pic to work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to answer "why"
ive had the thing for 3 years and i want to be able to ride it on the streets without having to watch for cops.
I would use it only to ride to friends houses and dellies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lee,

It all depends on where you live. Some states are really relaxed when it comes to street legaling bikes. For example Arizona is easy, where California will have you jumping through hoops. But generally most states will require that you have a headlight and taillight, turn signals, and a horn. Some may make you go as far as having a battery so the head light will stay on with the bikes engine off, or a speedometer. So to answer your question yes it is possible, but whether or not it will be easy is another question. The company I work for specializes in dual sport kits, but off the top of my head I dont think we make anything for the PW80. Hopefully this post helped

-Marcus
check us out @ electrosport.com

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
I don't think the PW's electrical system is up to the task of running a head/tail light.

If you do it, it will be pretty cool, just be careful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been trying to find the requierments for NY (where i live) but i can not find anything. If anyone knows where i can find them it would be great.

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
Contact NY deptartment of transportation. I'm sure they can find the answers you are looking for or at least point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
As a former state motorcycle inspector in Pa I can say that nothing would prevent it. There may be an issue with exhaust noise and the engine may not have a coil with a lighting connection. I would check with your Yamaha dealer. My guess would be too much work, cheaper to buy a scooter or moped or mini enduro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No matter where you live, if you are planning on riding it in town, it needs to have a headlight, taillight, a brake light at the very minumum. Where I live you must have turn signals as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts