Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My momma always said "Wear clean underwear just in case you're in an accident."

Since I don't want to be in an accident I stick with day-olds, turned inside out....

So I'm out on the SilverWing (scooter) last night, two cars have an otherwise completely empty road blocked. Both doing 35 in a 45. One ever so slightly ahead of the other.

I'd say there was 15-20 feet, right front bumper to left rear bumper, car in the right lane slightly ahead.

I could have "shot the gap" with a little throttle, but chose not to.

Is there a "name" for that risky maneuver. I know Warren calls it "splitting"

I know sometimes I'll get irritated and do it anyway, but I can't see any good coming from annoying drivers with a reckless pass.

But it got me thinking about passing.

When I'm on my bicycle I REALLY APPRECIATE when a car passes smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. If no one is coming, there's really no reason to
floor it, is there?

I really DO NOT appreciate the guy driving a beat up truck with no mufflers who gets beside me, FLOORS it, and ROARS around --- unnecessarily. For starters it scares the crap out of ya, when you're on a bike.

So I personally USED to make VERY FEW full-throttle accelerations to pass, until one day...

I'd been following this guy towing a trailer for 30+ miles across Kansas, he can't seem to keep his speed fixed so I'm constantly adjusting the cruise control, finally have enough, and decide to go around...

I'm towing a trailer too, and here comes a passing zone...

I go to smoothly but efficiently pass him and...

DAMN! the passing zone is shorter than I thought and RIGHT NOW there's an oncoming car!

I jam on the brakes, so does he, so I jam harder so he HAS to repass me o the right as I'm NOT going into the oncoming lane to complete this pass...

If I had started out wearing CLEAN underwear that day, you'd never know it afterwards...

Since that day I've used a lot more throttle to complete my passes, ALL MY passes, JUST IN CASE something goes wrong --- if I misjudge, or a car appears from over a hill just at the wrong moment, etc.

Smooth, not-full acceleration passing simply isn't as safe, I've decided. Car truck OR motorbike.

What about you? Do you give it all she's got when you pull out to pass, or "just enough?"

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
mostly depends on the road type and terrain. two lane hilly roads get a downshift, and full throttle pass. If I can see a long way down the road it is a more reserve pass.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I guess it depends on how much room I have. If I can see for a mile ahead and all is clear, I'll just smoothly pass. Shorter passing zones require a bit more giddyup.

Regardless, I don't want to hang out next to the vehicle I'm passing.

·
So long
2,753 Posts

I could have "shot the gap" with a little throttle, but chose not to.

Is there a "name" for that risky maneuver. I know Warren calls it "splitting"

What about you? Do you give it all she's got when you pull out to pass, or "just enough?"
We've always called switching lanes to pass with minimal clearance "threading the needle." I think of "splitting" as passing between cars headed in the same direction.

When passing I give it more than enough, but seldom all she's got. She has great acceleration so all out is overkill for normal riding.

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
In your trailer example it would have been petal to the metal. But I take a look and can see forever I normally just keep cruising with slight increase. I have yet another reason for not normally going full throttle. Unlike you, I got a ticket for doing 90mph passing a guy. Yep CHP got me coming toward them. They didn't care about the fact I needed to go faster than them in the first place. Nope. The limit was 55mph and they couldn't care less that 56mph wasn't enough. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Downshifting to 4th feels unnatural.

mostly depends on the road type and terrain. two lane hilly roads get a downshift, and ....
I'm having a heck of a time in my little Honda sports/hybrid getting used to the idea of downshifting to FOURTH GEAR to accelerate.

It's a six speed. Downshifting to 3rd in either a 4 or 5 speed seemed to come naturally.

It's one of the few stick-shift hybrids. Took over a month to learn how to drive it for maximum performance OR maximum MPGs.

What I'm about to say is a complete lie.

In economy mode, it accelerates only using the electric motor.
In normal mode, it accelerates on the internal combustion (ICE) motor
In sport mode, it uses both.

That's not true at all, but it's a good way to THINK about how this vehicle offers a CHOICE of performance levels, and mpg results. Button on dash to select ECONOMY, NORMAL, or PERFORMANCE. 8000 rpm redline btw.

Regenerative braking --- barely TOUCH the brake and it performs regen braking, recharging the battery. Press HARDER and you engage friction brakes. So the trick is to "ride the brakes" up to stop signs and redlights, starting your braking a lot EARLIER than you would in a regular vehicle, in order to maximize your recharge.

The battery simply cannot accept a recharge rate of as many amps as pressing the brakes harder would create if it didn't "throttle" the regen braking. Could a bank of Supercaps fix this? Dunno...

Coast up to redlights in neutral you get NO regenerative braking. So gear selection is IMPORTANT when riding the brakes to regen.

Put it in neutral and the engine shuts off at stoplights. Only problem with this is it REALLY doesn't like "California stops!"

I can easily obtain 51mpg at 55mph but I usually get 39mpgs at 73 mph criss-crossing the country in this little thing.

Rolling hills are where you REALLY see the hybrid system "at work," using the electric motor to add the necessary torque to climb up the hill, and re-genning on the way down, without any change in ICE RPM or vehicle speed.

Helluva lot easier on the eyes than a Prius, but....rear visibility, blind spots are truly horrible on this thing. So bad, in fact, I'm considering selling it.

Cheers!

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
Chop the top off and you got a permanent convertible. So now you can say the moron has an oxymoron car.:D Don't get mad. It's my fingers that did that just like your keyboard acted up on you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts