Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tires are one of the most important parts of a motorcycle. It affects the performance of the bike. A poor quality tire may put your safety in danger that is why it is important to learn how to maintain your motorcycle's tire.

The best and the most expensive bike are useless if the tires are on poor condition or quality. You must know the importance of good quality tires to a motorcycle. Tires can affect the total performance of the bike as well as your safety. This piece of rubber is one of the most important parts of a motorcycle.

Don't underestimate the importance of an honest tire.?As a responsible rider, the condition of your tires shouldn't be taken for granted. Once the rubber started to wear off, it's time to change it. Other than good engine and cool accessories riders should give importance to tire maintenance.

Remember that the tire of your bike is exposed to all kinds of weather conditions. You run it through potholes and rough surfaces therefore it is one amongst the foremost abused parts of a motorcycle.

The constant exposure of the tire to temperature and weight of your load can take a toll on the condition of your bike. It will start to wear off and produce less traction on the road.

If you neglect to check your tire, you will be putting yourself in real danger. Once your motorcycle's tire is in poor condition, riding during rainy days will be a risk. You need a good quality tire when riding in a slippery and wet road. If you must know, poor tires are a common reason for several road accidents.

That is the solution to this? Maintain your motorcycle's tire. Before riding out, check for any signs of puncture, bulge or cracks that may cause your bike to blow out. Second, check tire pressure.

Be aware that tires will wear quicker once it's not properly inflated. Create a habit of examining the pressure of your tire. The performance of the bike will suffer if the tire does not have enough air within.

Motorcycle tire maintenance is important for your safety. Make it a habit to do a regular inspection of your tires.

:71baldboy:

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I check my tires visually everyday i'm gunna ride....
Check pressures once a week.
I check my bike over visually everyday i'm gunna ride....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Every single time I've put fresh rubber on ANY of my vehicles --- cars OR bikes....I ask myself the SAME question....

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

The simple fact is that fresh rubber ADDS to the enjoyment of driving / riding, IMMEASURABLY.

It's not just safety, it's fun. And that's why we ride, no?

Quit being a cheap-ass! All of you looking at a worn tire....Put some new rubber on for SAFETY REASONS and ENJOY the RIDE MORE!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have been riding all Winter. A month or so ago l noticed the ride was just not as smooth, and feeling a little wobbly up front. My buddy at work had just bought a new bike, so we brought them into the shop and checked out the tires. All 4 were low. One of mine was less than half of what it was supposed to be. No wonder...

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

I try to treat my tire's regularity by bathing it in Metamucil often. :biggrin:

--

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
The OP's post reads like a poorly written sales speech for a third world tire manufacturer... However, I can't find fault with the intent of the post. That said:

In my shop, I check EVERY bikes tire pressure, whether it was required or not. It seems like 95% off all bikes I work on have under inflated tires.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The OP's post reads like a poorly written sales speech for a third world tire manufacturer... However, I can't find fault with the intent of the post. That said:

In my shop, I check EVERY bikes tire pressure, whether it was required or not. It seems like 95% off all bikes I work on have under inflated tires.
After seeing how much drop there was in my tires over the course of the Winter, l now find myself checking them at least once a week or so.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts

I'd venture to say that there is a very high percentage of bikes on the road at any time are on under inflated tires. Don't think it would be 95% but 80% wouldn't be too far off I bet. That's still way too many. Even with bikers on this forum we have examples of bikes that were being ridden for months and finally decided to check air pressure. That's at the very least a weakly task. All manuals say daily. People should try daily and hope they hit weakly. Monthly and your just asking for problems. You can't answer the question of just how fast did the pressure change. Was it very slowly over that time or did lose it after a crack opened or a puncture on your last ride.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I start by checking my tires every couple days after mounting a new tire.
I will kick it......Hard ok......soft...ooops....
Then if all is good once a week...
I will look my tire over well tho everyday be4 a ride....
U never know if u pick up a nail or something.
Just takes rolling ur bike ahead a few times if not on ur lift.
I always park my bike on it's rear stand when i put it away for the night...
Lift....n braided cable locked...key removed in lock position.
Maybe as well make them work 4 it.....

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
This time of year you need to watch your air pressure after you air up often too. As temps go up so does your pressure. I've had two tires blow because I filled them when the temps was in the 50's and the next day the temps took off into the nineties and in sun. BOOOOOM! Fortunately one was just a bicycle tire but the other was a trailer tire. Temp differences can get you if you aren't paying attention.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts