Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'll be getting a Honda CB300F. Will park it in a large, detached parking garage. Area is okay in terms of safety, but there are issues from time to time. The parking garage has a designated area for motorcycles. I don't think I'll be able to get it close to a pole or a fence or anything like that.

Price is an object. I'm not willing to go all in on bike security for a used 300 and when I have insurance.

Thank you for the tips.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have nice bikes where I live, and I mean that. Recovery isn't so much of an issue because bike is relatively inexpensive and have comprehensive insurance. Just want a deterrent that isn't overpriced.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
The sad truth is that if somebody wants to steal a motorcycle badly enough, they'll always succeed. I've heard some pretty crazy bike theft stories.

Having a cover over your bike should help, thieves will be looking for bikes worth stealing, and covering it makes it less appealing. It also makes it harder for them to plan what they'll need to do to steal the bike, meaning they're less likely to try in the first place.

Having a GPS tracker and alarm is good. I use an Oxford alarmed disc lock, as well as a chain, I try to keep the chain locked in a way such that it's completely off of the ground where possible, as many thieves use the ground for leverage when trying to use bolt cutters on chains, it also means angle grinding the chain is harder as it will move more.

Having the alarm on the bike under a cover means if someone lifts the cover they'll often accidentally knock the alarm.

One of my neighbours has a security system on all of his bikes, he can remotely set off the alarms and disable them. It also comes with built in GPS. I'll try and find out the name of what he's using. I'd like to get one myself anyhow.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Ahh Ryan F9, one of my favourite YouTube channels. Very good production value and good information too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ultimately, securing a bike from theft is impossible. Given skills, tools, maybe just enough guys to lift it, plus enough time, any bike is gone. But when the spot is public and well-travelled, I use a lock that clamps the brake lever to the handlebar. Somebody could cut the brake line and roll it away, or 4-5 guys could lift it in to a truck, but those scenarios won't go unnoticed in a public area. For more isolated spots I use the brake clamp plus a hardened chain and heavy lock long enough to chain to a convenient fixed object, or at least to loop between the wheels and frame. Again, not perfect but time-consuming to overcome to some degree. And the backup, of course -- insurance.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
239 Posts
Here's the deal..... unless you have a high $$$$ bike that will attract the real professionals, a simple fork lock is almost always enough to discourage the amateurs. They are looking for the easy pickings. Every bike I have ever owned (and that's quite a few) has had a fork lock position on the key.... turn the front wheel hard left and hold it, turn the key all the way to the left, and the steering is locked. If they want to move the bike, they have to pick it up..... too much trouble for the amateurs.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I like the GPS device idea. I saw something about an explosive device which can be detonated remotely. Ouch. It was on a movie and I'd never do such a heinous thing to a bike thief though.

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,414 Posts
My security is a building, my building at my home that gets locked. At work it is a window, parked right in front of the office ladies. Oh and the ignition lock. When not at either place it is with in sight.

When in I lived in downtown St Louis someone tried to steal my Blackbird, it had a disc lock, in a semi-private gated garage, they rolled it till it bumped that, plus some and it fell over, that is where it was left until security figured out it was mine and let me know, that they were going to fine me... for blocking the main drive.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
While this is a bicycle, perhaps something similar could be done for a motorcycle.

It appears very effective.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got the biggest chain & lock from Home Depot I could find. Weighs 12 pounds. For a size reference I wear 2XL-3XL gloves. This went through both wheels, the frame & around a metal post where I parked at work. Also a disc lock on each wheel. I put the chain through a mountain bike inner tube so it wouldn't scratch the bike.
unnamed.jpg

Ok I see 2 pics not one. When I delete one it deletes both so I'll just leave it alone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your responses. I'm not going to have poles nearby.

I'll definitely start w/ the cover. After that, I've got some thinking to do.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I'm not going to have poles nearby.

I'll definitely start w/ the cover. After that, I've got some thinking to do.
I think this is an important point from oldenslow:

For more isolated spots I use the brake clamp plus a hardened chain and heavy lock long enough to chain to a convenient fixed object, or at least to loop between the wheels and frame.
I loop my chain around the wheels and frame when fixed objects aren't nearby as well. Like I said earlier, the chain being completely off of the ground is a bonus.

It's worth mentioning too that if you've only got one disc lock, use it on the rear wheel if you can. The rear is harder to lift than the front, every little helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this is an important point from oldenslow:

I loop my chain around the wheels and frame when fixed objects aren't nearby as well. Like I said earlier, the chain being completely off of the ground is a bonus.

It's worth mentioning too that if you've only got one disc lock, use it on the rear wheel if you can. The rear is harder to lift than the front, every little helps.
OK. I think I may start with a disc lock though. I can't be dragging a big, heavy chain around on a 300 cc when I'm trying to learn how to ride.

So, so far, we have: (1) cover; and (2) disc lock. Do you recommend the ignition lock in addition to this?

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
363 Posts
Just park it somewhere you wouldn't be able to back a truck up to, and lock the handlebars. Get one of those alarms that'll notify you if a bird poops on it if you wanna be real fancy. Viola.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is it a new bike? If not I wouldn't even cover it unless it's overnight. Owners need to worry about two types of thieves -1. The pro that wants to make some money and 2. The local hoodlum that wants to mess with your bike.

For option 1, certainly cover an expensive bike but not as important for a more common bike. For option 2, turning the key to ignition lock is a simple aid that I do anyplace I don't know is perfectly safe. I just make it a habit. They still can knock it over or damage it but this is a good step. A cover helps deter this type too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it a new bike? If not I wouldn't even cover it unless it's overnight. Owners need to worry about two types of thieves -1. The pro that wants to make some money and 2. The local hoodlum that wants to mess with your bike.

For option 1, certainly cover an expensive bike but not as important for a more common bike. For option 2, turning the key to ignition lock is a simple aid that I do anyplace I don't know is perfectly safe. I just make it a habit. They still can knock it over or damage it but this is a good step. A cover helps deter this type too.
Not, it's used. 2019 Honda CB300F. I did turn to lock. But I don't have a cover and had to park it in a detached parking garage. Going to get one first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello. I'll be getting a Honda CB300F. Will park it in a large, detached parking garage. Area is okay in terms of safety, but there are issues from time to time. The parking garage has a designated area for motorcycles. I don't think I'll be able to get it close to a pole or a fence or anything like that.

Price is an object. I'm not willing to go all in on bike security for a used 300 and when I have insurance.

Thank you for the tips.

If you have Comprehensive insurance it will cover theft. Get the lowest deductible you can afford The question you should ask, is what is your bike worth in case of theft, minus the deductible.. A cheap GPS tracker is also a good idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts