Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying like heck to get that stupid warning sticker off my tank since I brought my bike. You know that stupid sticker that says not to drink and drive and to always wear your helmet, yadda yadda yadda. Dealership would not take it off, cause they said it was against the law to remove it before it got driven off the lot. I don't want to use a razor, as it will most definetely scratch the paint. I've been using my nail to peel it up, but only getting a bit here or there, I'll be there till the cows come home getting it off. Normally, on stickers like this I'd use lighter fluid or goo be gone, but not sure what that would do to the paint.

How in the world do you get this stupid sticker off?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I used my fingernail to get most of it, then soapy water and scrubbing with a rag...........

ok ok I'm lying, my wife used her fingernail for most of it, then soapy water and scrubbing with a rag.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Try soaking it down, and using one of those non-abrasive pot scrub pads. Probably be messy, but it shouldn't damage the paint.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Try heating it with a blowdryer first and then try peeling it off. WD-40 will help remove any glue residue afterwards.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Try heating it with a blowdryer first and then try peeling it off. WD-40 will help remove any glue residue afterwards.
This. The clearcoat on a Suzuki is very thin. WD-40 will not hurt it but will take a lot of rubbing to get the last of the sticker off. Leaving it in direct sunlight for a while will take the place of the blow dryer too.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Heat gun is faster hairdryer is safer and what I use to remove stickers.
But if you use your Heat gun out of the garage, you don't have to listen to the little woman B...... I mean complain about you using her hair dryer in the garage. ;)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I was tasked to remove a LOT of decals from some construction equipment. A heat gun and a window paint scraper.... eventually I got the hang of it.

You don't heat up the entire decal, you go along and heat one edge and peel it back, continue working your way back peeling with the scraper.

Maybe you could use a nylon ice/snow scraper in place of the metal paint scraper to avoid scratching.

GL

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
You don't put any kind of scraper on paint folks. Even plastic will leave a mark. Just take your time. Little by little if you have a stubborn one.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
You don't put any kind of scraper on paint folks. Even plastic will leave a mark. Just take your time. Little by little if you have a stubborn one.
You ain't wrong. Clear coat is the worst, I rested a gas can on my VTX's tank for 1/4 mile the one time I ran out of gas and scratched the hell out of it.:mad:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
At the hospital we use Purell to get stickers off of stuff. It has enough rubbing alcohol in it to break through most glues, but it is specially designed to be gentle and non-toxic for children. I have never had it hurt the paint on anything.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. I got it off. No scraping needed. Had to try the Purell thing, as it sounded too good to be true. I'm amazed....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts