Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between a Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3 as my first bike. My Plan is to save $3,000 and my dad is giving me an extra $1,500 if i buy from a dealership. Both bikes MSRP is around $5,000. Do you think I could get them to do a deal for $4,500 cash out the door for either bike; also this won't be happening for another 3-4 months which is around the start of winter here in VA.
Thoughts, opinions, advice?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Smaller displacement bikes like the Ninja 300 and the new Yamaha R3 are hot items right now, so I doubt any dealer would be willing to negotiate much if at all on price. They may be willing to offer discounts on riding gear like jackets and helmets, but likely won't budge on the price of a new bike.

Nothing stopping you from trying of course, and you can try several dealers to see which might be willing to offer the best package deal. Best of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try to call or email and negotiate as much as possible before you get there. Dealerships are really slow and you'll take forever to get in and out if you just go there (3+ hours sometimes from the time you step on the lot to when you walk out). The best way to get a deal is to get a previous year model (but still new) that is still there. Those will be discounted pretty well (15%+) and very worth it. Still a new bike, still a dealer, you'll be happy that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best way to get a deal is to get a previous year model (but still new) that is still there. Those will be discounted pretty well (15%+) and very worth it.
I am agreed with that thought.

None; will negotiate with you on hot selling items exceptions are always there so do make a try. :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I believe that Nevin recently went into a dealer and they told him they could do some dealer incentives on an R3 and he could get the bike for $3999 "out the door". I don't recall what other costs were added to that number.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Which bike do you prefer or is it a toss-up depending on the price? According to one dealer, the Ninja 300 prices are getting pressure to go down since the R3s have been selling like hotcakes. Are you set on either bike or thinking about others as well?

GL, I'm in the same boat so look fwd to any developments.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can search for bikes by zip code on CycleTrader. While the closer dealers might be asking MSRP, there might be another dealer farther away offering a better deal, like this, so it would be worth the effort to drive a little farther. Keep in mind the dealers will try to add fees too, so even if you get them down to $4500, that may not be the final price. I presume you'll have to pay sales tax or something similar in VA.

A dealer is often more willing to give discount on a bike that's a year or two old than a brand new 2015 or 2016 model. Often times, the old models are the same as the new ones. That less likely on the R3 being it's new, but you might find an unsold Ninja from 2013 or 2014. That's how I got 30% off and no fees on my TU250x that was two years old when I bought it, but still new, though the TUX doesn't sell like the small sport bikes. Of course it was -14°F at noon when I walked into the dealer to make my offer.

I say the start of Winter is the best time to buy because the dealers won't be making as many sales then, though a lot of dealers, at least around here, sell snowmobiles and winter stuff, so it's not like there's no revenue in the winter. Good luck whatever you buy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You should definitely shop cycletrader. Also, take a look at the various dealers in a 100 mile radius and compare what they have. Dealers in the next market over often have different demographics, so some models don't sell as well and end up getting marked down.

You might be able to play one dealer against the other if you're patient.
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts