Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
Here is my 2000 Marauder vz800 tank

There has been an awful smell of gas when parked and when sitting on the bike, if I rub my finger along the bottom side I get a little fuel on my fingers

I spotted where the leak is, there is a small leak where it looks like the old owner tried to JB weld it, right on the bottom crease where the circle is, you can see gas slowly coming out here.....

What is the fix, should I sand and epoxy it somehow, should I find a welder, there is no other leak but in this spot, any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
While JB makes Tank Weld, that is a very difficult spot to get a good bond. There are a few different tank sealers that go inside the tank, after a thorough cleaning, and I mean REALLY thorough, or it will come unstuck and start wandering through the fuel lines. After the sealant, a good scrub on that spot then Tank Weld may help keep the holes from spreading.
Personally, I'd take it to a shop that does fuel tanks, and get their advice; may not be cheap, but they're likely to be better at it than any 'shade tree' work. Depending on the damage, it may need a patch actually welded, and a repaint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts