Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a modular helmet with a clear face shield and the drop down tinted visor. The visor isn't dark enough for my eyes, and I find myself squinting and getting a headache in the glare. Saturday Bike and I went out for a long ride, and I wore sunglasses which helped with the glare, but was really uncomfortable. The helmet made them push too hard against my head so I still got a headache anyways.
I was thinking maybe I could get a piece of that window tint stuff they sell for cars, and put a piece on the drop down visor, but wondered has anyone tried that? Will it adhere well enough to stay in place with the visor retracting up into the helmet, or would it catch and pull off.
Or is there something specific for visors? I did a little research but all I found was comments about tinting a faceshield with Ritt dye. Which sounded a bit iffy, even if I figured out how to get the visor out of the helmet.
So if anyone has put a darker tint on a drop down visor, please let me know how you did it and how it turned out.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,139 Posts
The Dye is permanent and when the ol' Sun goes down the vision gets terrible.

One of my past helmets had a tinted shield and my current one is clear and on a bright day, I have to use Sun glasses to keep from going blind.

The tint film sounds good to me. It's cheap and you might be able to take it off and on the shields as needed?

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use tint film on my helmet visor, a strip at the top of the visor about 1" wide on the outside of the visor.
It has stayed attached well, even with a lot of soap washings. About 1" at the top reduces the sun during the mornings when I ride. And at 1", it doesn't intrude into my vision area.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
957 Posts
I use sungalsses and just drop the dark visor to help that a bit, but I don't do that often. I like that setup so i can pop all the visors open and enjoy fresh air, especinlly in cool morings and when I'm slowing down or at a stop. Still have eye protection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have been more clear. What I want to tint darker is the internal drop down sun visor that lives inside the helmet, not the clear face shield that lives on the outside of the helmet.
So putting something across the top of the clear visor won't help, it's the overall glare I need to block. I have very sensitive eyes and pairs of sunglasses all over the place as back ups because I literally can't see in sunlight without them.
The drop down sunvisor in my helmet just isn't dark enough and I discovered on my ride last weekend that trying to wear my sunglasses with my helmet is just too painful to be a good solution.
I can't see a way to remove the drop down sun visor, so I don't think I could get a darker one to replace it, or spray it with anything, dip it, etc.
So I'm trying to figure out if some sort of adhesive tint film would work, I'm just concerned about getting it on, then having it catch and roll up into a mess the first time I try to retract the visor, and wondered if anyone had tried it and had any luck....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I should have been more clear. What I want to tint darker is the internal drop down sun visor that lives inside the helmet, not the clear face shield that lives on the outside of the helmet.
So putting something across the top of the clear visor won't help, it's the overall glare I need to block. I have very sensitive eyes and pairs of sunglasses all over the place as back ups because I literally can't see in sunlight without them.
The drop down sunvisor in my helmet just isn't dark enough and I discovered on my ride last weekend that trying to wear my sunglasses with my helmet is just too painful to be a good solution.
I can't see a way to remove the drop down sun visor, so I don't think I could get a darker one to replace it, or spray it with anything, dip it, etc.
So I'm trying to figure out if some sort of adhesive tint film would work, I'm just concerned about getting it on, then having it catch and roll up into a mess the first time I try to retract the visor, and wondered if anyone had tried it and had any luck....
I understood. If you use the spray just use some tape and plastic to protect the rest of the helmet while you apply it.

·
Ace Tuner
4,641 Posts
Is it not possible with your helmet to just install a tented shield in place of your clear face shield that lives on the outside of the helmet and then change back to your clear when the sun goes down?
Sorry, might be a dumb question. I don't do modular so...

S F

·
Registered
136 Posts
SemiFast, Thanks for the help on "conversations".

I found nothing in my conversation "box".

Yes, the helmets are expensive.
That is why we always buy helmets in the Fall when the manufacturers are clearing out their this year's inventory.
Usually you can find good sale prices and decent inventories up until into November.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts