Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my bike via shipping blind from out of state it is a 98 and in very good shape however the windshield has micro scratches pretty much all throw out someone told me there is a product like a headlight buffing kit that could completely remove this. usually during the day it doesn't bother me but as it starts to get dark out the headlights hit these scratches and the reflect is such a way that's it makes it hard to see. As time during the day the sun does the same thing. There must be a way to correct this without replacing it.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
You might try Novus polish kit. I wouldn't bet on it though. But maybe worth a try before going with a new one. Some swear by this stuff but those tiny scratches are really hard to get rid of if you ride at night and those on-coming headlights.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this product online last night but I don't know anyone that has tried it. I also read a article that said to try any clear coat safe compound as this too should pollish out the scratches without damaging the windshield. I'm hoping to try something today I have a ton of cleaners in the garage for my cars I will try something if it looks like it helps but doesn't fis the problem then I will likely order the kit you posted about.
Thanks for the reply.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Toothpaste is abrasive paste but not all are created equal this said there is a product called Flitz which is consistent. I have used it on many projects around the home and boat I have even used it to clean the screen on a marine GPS it was a last resort and it worked perfectly. I was actually expecting someone to recommend using Flitz on the windshield I was sort of hoping because I have a bunch of it but I was a little afraid to try it again I was hoping someone would have said this was the best thing to use. I may give it a shot I just hope I have some in my garage and didn't bring it all to the boat. I may try a few things this morning. I didn't sleep well last night and took care of all my business paperwork already so I will start working on the bike in a little bit then take a ride to a customer mostly for the ride and while I'm there I have a quick service call to program his camera system.
I would post pictures before and after but these scratches really don't come out in pictures so it's pointless.

· Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
7,796 Posts
Honestly, people overthink things. Every few days, I wash the bugs off with Windex, then use a good bit of Lemon Pledge. The pledge seems to fill all the tiny micro-scratches that are really noticeable in the sun, to the point where the windshield looks nearly brand new. Added benefit of the Pledge is that the bugs come off easier when it comes time to clean the windshield.

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
Just a few minutes ago, I finished up cleaning my '76 Goldwing with lemon Pledge. Bike looks nice for tomorrow's ride!

· Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,473 Posts
1+ for Novus. Buy the three bottle kit; of used properly you can polish out the scratches.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
495 Posts
I used a kit from Wally World for headlights on my large Goldwing windshield.

I may still have the box in the garage, but it was nothing special.

It had a paste rubbing compound and about three different grits of pads.

After the first two pads I was pretty sure I had screwed up, you could not see anything through it. It just looked white.
But the last pass with the fine pad brought it back from the obis. It was very clear after that.

Mine was too far gone for the pledge trick to start with.

I'm pretty sure Google is your friend on this. I think I might have even found out about what I did on a Goldwing site.

· Administrator
1,808 Posts
I had some extremely bad scratches on my GL500i I had. That one was well a struggle to do. I had to use a fine sand paper then an electric buffer and actually got it looking pretty good actually. But it was not worth the work and could have bought the screen for the cost of all the polishes I bought alone, not to mention my time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.