Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Prepare for complete novice questions.

With corona and everything going on I might have some more spare time than usual on my hands so I'm planning to clean my carbs on my vx800 and I'm not sure about the full procedure. I have Googled some, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Which parts/screws/jets should be cleaned? Which should I leave in place. Do I remove the main air jet for cleaning? Does it need to be readjusted when reassembling or is that something you don't do with the main air jet?

Which screws need readjustment after cleaning? Is it just the air/fuel mix (pilot jet?) and idle screws?

Can someone explain step by step what needs to be removed and readjusted.

As long as I know what needs adjusting I think I can figure out how to get a good setting, so no need to explain the tuning procedure. I understand that I at least need to readjust the fuel/air mix and idle, and synchronize the carbs. But is there more?

Also, do I need to get any new gaskets and the like?

If anyone cares to help a novice beginning to learn I'm deeply thankful.

Cheers

·
Ace Tuner
2,194 Posts
What year model?
I looked up a 1990 to help jog my memory.

Which parts/screws/jets should be cleaned? Which should I leave in place. Do I remove the main air jet for cleaning? Does it need to be readjusted when reassembling or is that something you don't do with the main air jet?
No need to remove the throttle plate parts and shaft.
You do not need to remove the air jets unless they became hopelessly clogged somehow. (Very, Very rare).
All fuel jets, the area where the slide diaphragm seals, the slide itself and all of the internal ports (passages) inside the carburetor body itself should be cleaned.
Just clean the main jets and put the same ones back where you found them.
The only readjustments you will need to make will be the fuel mixture screws, (only if you had to remove them in order to be positive that the ports the screw works with/thru is totally clean and clear) and setting the synchronization after start up.
External screws need to be clean enough to handle. Internal screws need to be clean, clean.

Which screws need readjustment after cleaning? Is it just the air/fuel mix (pilot jet?) and idle screws?
Yes, the fuel mix screws (pilot circuit) and idle speed. (Bench setting, then when running).

I understand that I at least need to readjust the fuel/air mix and idle, and synchronize the carbs. But is there more?
No and Yes-ish...
That bike has a bunch of carb cables. Some that operate the idle speed synchronization and more cables that operate the open throttle / high speed synchronization. Study the way those cables are mounted CLOSELY and be sure you understand how every adjustment works, and how each cable routes BEFORE you remove anything.

Also, do I need to get any new gaskets and the like?
The fuel bowl gaskets will probably be flattened from age so just go ahead and get those. The fuel mixture screw "O" rings are inexpensive so I change them any time I have them out of an older bike.

S F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
It's a 93, but I think they are very similar.

This is perfect, answers all my questions. Thanks a lot for taking the time, I genuinely appreciate it!

·
Ace Tuner
2,194 Posts
Take pictures before you start. And keep taking pictures as you go along.
Hi,
It's a 93, but I think they are very similar.

This is perfect, answers all my questions. Thanks a lot for taking the time, I genuinely appreciate it!
You're welcome. Glad to help. And Welcome to the forum Asgeir.
You might like to stop by the introduction thread and tell us a little bit about yourself.

bpe is right on about taking pics as you go. I'd say take more pics than you know you need.

Looking forward to reading more posts from you.
S F

1 - 5 of 5 Posts