Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda 3rd Gen VF750 Magna, Honda Rebel CMX250, Honda Shadow 750 Ace
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

You can always replace the gas tank, but why not try to clean it before investing in a new one? If the tank is damaged, dirty and rusty beyond repair, you’d have to replace it anyway. However, if there are only mild corrosion and dirt, you can probably clean it. This is a good way to avoid added expenses of replacing the tank altogether.

Keep in mind that strong acids can damage your bike and possibly cause serious injury. That is why white vinegar is recommended because it is strong enough to remove rust while remaining safe for your bike and your health. When working with chemicals and fuels, ventilation is essential. It is better to be safe and move outdoors.

This is how I clean my 1995 Honda Magna VT250 motorcycle gas tank.

The entire process is relatively simple and doesn’t take too much time.

·
Short Fuse
695 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 79 xs750 special and had a rusty tank. Do not waste your time with vinegar. I tried it and after following all the directions YouTube gave, I had flash rust in minutes. I bought Metal Rescue at $25 a gallon and used 3 gallons and one gallon of water. It's a clear liquid that's reusable, and will turn dark as it dissolves the rust. I let it soak for two to three days, poured it out and took a half gallon of so of gas and oil mixed and sloshed it around in the tank to coat the inside. I emptied the tank and and filled it up with gas. I had no flash rust and the tank is spotless. This may sound costly but you will find it is well worth the cost.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree with Shawzee above. Flushing a de-rusted tank with water will always result in flash rust. Flushing with a heavy ratio of fuel/premix oil has worked well for me. Note: Yamaha's Yamalube fuel tank Rust Remover & Neutralize kit works also works very well (if you can find it).

Fuel Tank Rust Remover & Neutralizer Kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts