Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states the bikes been sitting for a few years, what does cleaning it intale?

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
First, check for rust with a light and a small mirror. If no rust, add a fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam, and slosh it about, let it soak. Drain it through the petcock, and see how stained it is. If its not too bad, just use the cleaner at the strong mix recommended, like 2oz per gallon of Seafom, with fresh gas. Repeat for a few tanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, check for rust with a light and a small mirror. If no rust, add a fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam, and slosh it about, let it soak. Drain it through the petcock, and see how stained it is. If its not too bad, just use the cleaner at the strong mix recommended, like 2oz per gallon of Seafom, with fresh gas. Repeat for a few tanks.

And if there is rust?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have done this before. If there is rust I rolled BB's for a couple of weeks taking them out every day. Repeating the process many times, they help to break up the rust. Then get some products that clean the inside. They also sell stuff that then seals the inside of the tank to prevent the rust from coming back. I did this over 15 yrs ago and it still runs with no rust. That being said there might be something newer out there, but old technology works just as good sometimes.

·
HellBilly
243 Posts
If there is rust in the tank, a gallon of GUNK parts cleaner and a 20 pack of machine bolts work great. seal it up, shake it around, drain and repeat until the stuff comes out clean. Use one of those stick magnets to fish the bolts out when you're done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to butt in, but do you think using vinegar is a good idea? Looked online and some people said it works, but just have to rinse it off with a bath of baking soda and water afterwards to prevent it from eating it more. Also gravel for fish tanks? Mine is gunk up in rust and smells of varnish that could be smelled 10 ft away from it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My rust is mild. After my tank sitting all winter I emptied the fuel and noticed a slight discoloration. To avoid I'm about to try vinegar in my tank.

Going to fill it entirely with a mug full of small gravel. Shake it around until my arms hurt and then let it sit 24 hours.

Then ill dump it and fill it with a water and baking soda solution and let that sit for 20 minutes.

Then ill rinse throughly and let dry in the sun.

Anyone think this a bad idea? Is white vinegar effective enough? Anyone know if I should rinse with dawn/water first?

·
Registered
195 Posts
POR-15 has a fuel tank coating system that cleans the crust out, then uses the rust to make a solid coating between the tank and the fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine was rusted.. i dumped out a couple pounds of rust flakes. Poured on a 2 liter of coke.. yeah coke. sloshed it around.. let it sit in the sun for 24 hours.. then dumped it out. then rinsed with water several times. used a pressure sprayer severl times, dumped, rinsed, etc..

it has been sitting for 2 weeks drying in the garage.. then i will use POR-15 to coat the inside.

the main problem, i cant figure out how to get the petcock off the tank.. the bottom of it has a bolt head, but that unscrews the bottom of it where a filter is sitting. and there is no bolt bolting it to the tank.. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
The coke is a efective method, but beware any getting left behind. If your bike is carbed it can screw stuff up. The easiest, but not cheapest method is to just look for a new tank on ebay. If you have rust issues now, it will be an ongoing issue for the life of the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished getting the rust out of a tank off a CL175K4 and I thought I'd share the results:

Tank condition - inside: very rusty. Could hear flakes of rust rolling around. Turn it over and you got a small pile of rust.

Tools needed: pressure washer, heat gun

Supplies needed: random nuts and bolts, a gallon of CLR.

Method:
1 - Shake out loose rust bits.
2 - Plug all the holes on the bottom.
3 - Pour in the CLR.
4 - Put the gas cap on.
5 - Change tank position about every 2 hours so the CLR has opportunity to interact with 100% of the inside surface.
6 - Keep this up for about 18 to 24 hours.
7 - Pour out the CLR and all the loose gunk.
8 - Open the holes you plugged in Step 2. Open any other holes there are.
9 - Pressure wash the inside.
==At this point you'll be tempted to say you're done, but you're not. The pressure washing really cleans the surfaces it initially blasts, but softened rust remains on the surfaces it can't get to. You can verify this by running your finger on a surface the blast didn't get to. The fix is to:
10 - Dump in the nuts and bolts, put the cap back on and shake.
11 - Shake for a few minutes, then dump out the nuts and bolts.
12 - Pressure wash the inside again.
13 - Verify if rust is still present.
14 - If rust is still there, repeat 10 - 13 until you're happy.
15 - Dry the inside immediately using a heat gun, use caution not to burn yourself or the paint.
16 - Plug all the holes at the bottom again and pour in a splash of 2-stroke gas. Put the cap on and roll the fuel around to coat all inside surfaces.

Total time: 19 to 25 hours
Total hands-on time: 1.5 hours
total cost: $25 (for 1 gal. of CLR)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cleaning gas tank

I restored a 1977 CJ360T, and the gas tank was full of rust. I filled it about 2/3 with CLR, and added some BBs, and shook it several times a day, and in a week, it was clean and shiney. IT WORKS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Web search “gas tank cleaning electrolysis” I did mine all you need is a 12V dc power supply takes about 2 days . I was pretty impressed how well it worked and the cost is basically nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out Evaporust. It's available at most auto parts stores. It is non-toxic and works great. Pour it in the tank and let it sit 12-24 hours, sloshing it around in the tank once an hour or so. When you pour it out you can save and reuse it. Good stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened with my bike, i Used BBs, and then water mixed with sand to get even more out. I ended up buying a kit from my local Honda shop and that worked wonders!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I've done sealer in tanks, both had it screw up. One the stuff turned to goo when gas blends got certain additives put in, the other didn't stick and it rusted again under the coating.

Then I went to a radiator/fuel tank repair shop that did trucks, cars, etc. Cost me under $50 to have a leak soldered, the tank cleaned, and Red Kote hard shell coating liner done on it. Now I will let the pros do the work. Less headache and a better job. The shop where I used to work used to do Kreem, but went to the same radiator/fuel tank repair shop due to ease and the professional work done. They didn't do it on my suggestion, we both ended up there independently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a tumbler. I borrowed mine from work but you could rent one. My tank was all rusted. The bike was sitting for 20 years. Put it on the tumbler for 3 days. The tank looks brand new

1 - 20 of 26 Posts