Motorcycle Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Wot Tinsnipts said, post 79.
Many of the cruiser type bikes wobble around between your legs, as the fit is crappy. This amplifies the need to wrestle with the bars. Not helped by the tank like weight.

Another point made by TS, the center of gravity. A while back one of the magazines tested three bikes at the track.
The GSXR 750 had the quickest times. The two other bikes had more power which confused the riders.
The Suzuki had less weight and a lower seat height. On a bigger track the other bikes may have been quicker. But on a short, tight and twisty track, tank grip, less weight, a lower center of gravity, will pay dividends.

A brief study of history, will show the 250cc 2 stroke Yamahas, winning the 350 class for a few years. At the IOM.

I am raising the bars again on my SV1000S Suzuki. UK

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
I’ll chime in. I have an ‘89 GSXR 1100 and it is all the good and all the bad of a sport bike at the same time. It is like wrestling a water buffalo to go through a parking lot but it becomes very light above 30 mph. It has a long reach and high foot pegs. As mentioned by @Carbide , it is no fun on the highway for three or four hours but I can ride for a day if there are a few twists and turns. Lets face it, I am not riding for comfort - I am riding for the performance. High heels are not at all comfortable but that doesn't make them any less popular.

One thing many don't realize is you need to squeeze the tank with your knees. I don't mind this, I actually feel more secure in the forward crouch position. Feels like a football stance where you are ready to move. I don't enjoy the cruiser style riding position that is more upright to backwards leaning with my feet out front. I feel more like I am in an arm chair and not going to move quickly. Just me tho.

Another is sport bikes all vary widely in position and adjustability. The center of gravity is very apparent. I have heard it described as "You sit on a Honda & you sit in a Suzuki"

Riders aside - sport bikes are torture for passengers. I can;t fathom how they can be comfprtable at all.
Yeah, I have to admit I had trouble in parking lots with my 2015 NINJA 1000 to the point that it was somewhat detrimental to my enjoyment of riding it. Sure, it was a little big for me, but my 2010 NT700V was wider and heavier; I think I was just more paranoid about dumping it because it was my Big Bad Literbike. The NINJA 300 was perfect for me size and weightwise (well, actually the NINJA 250 fit me even better than that), but didn't have enough oomph on serious hills and/or crosswinds (75mph at WOT) to get away from an idiot. I was never happy with the "semi-hard" sidebags on it either. The 650 has more than enough oomph and storage capacity, but it's a hair too big for me. I can't help but fantasize about the aftermarket catching up with the 4R with taller windscreens and serious luggage. And if the speculated cruise and heated grips are on it, well...that would probably just about be my dream bike--if it fits.

I know what you mean about Suzuki! The 2016 'Busa I rode was long and low and cornered like nothing else I have ever experienced!!! And that was before I learned about body position. The GSX-S1000 and S1000F fit me to a tee! I rode one of them the most (I was contracted to work for Suzuki those two days. What a SWEET gig!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:). Honestly, if I had had Brain One, that would've been the literbike I would've bought. But I was just too darn infatuated with those green bags on the NINJA 1000 and not knowledgeable enough about aftermarket luggage options for the Suzukis. Then there's the whole green thing, but a wrap would take care of that.:cool:

And I agree with you about cruiser position (plus my butt can't stand it for very long). Interestingly, I met a fireman who told me that he sees many more cruiser crashes than he does sportbikes. Like you said, cruiser position may impede your ability to move quickly, whereas on a sportbike, you're ready to pounce.

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
If you are going to keep the Ninja 650, I personally would buy the Ninja 400 as a toy. Still a great little bike.
I could do that and theoretically still afford to have Bug's paint refreshed and sealed and get him tuned when he's out of warranty. Then wait for some used 4Rs to show up for less (if the market starts behaving like it should), and sell the 400 for what I bought it for and put that toward the 4R. Again, it all depends on how it fits me. So, really, all my discretionary spending is on hold until I can find that out. Which isn't a bad thing. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on spending all that money on Bug's paint ($3500 for the refresh, and another $2200 to seal it). Used NINJA 400 prices are starting to come down a little bit. And then there's the part about convincing my husband to let me get a second bike.:eek::eek::eek:

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
I did not mention above.
If I am going to take one of the girls up to 120, the sport bike is the one.
BUT, Shirley in particular does not like the lack of comfort provided. The old Yamaha is fine, but the best is the Triumph Trophy. Has a good tank feel, comfortable for all, stops and handles fine. A good compromise for a sport bike cruiser cross. Probably why I just got all the bits painted at mucho $$$.

· Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,302 Posts
Wow ;

And here I was plodding up the canyons on my 700# Ural Solo, yes it's a heavy beast but seems to go along just fine and only co$t $3,500 .

· Mod of the North
761 Posts
Yeah, I have to admit I had trouble in parking lots with my 2015 NINJA 1000 to the point that it was somewhat detrimental to my enjoyment of riding it. Sure, it was a little big for me, but my 2010 NT700V was wider and heavier; I think I was just more paranoid about dumping it because it was my Big Bad Literbike. The NINJA 300 was perfect for me size and weightwise (well, actually the NINJA 250 fit me even better than that), but didn't have enough oomph on serious hills and/or crosswinds (75mph at WOT) to get away from an idiot. I was never happy with the "semi-hard" sidebags on it either. The 650 has more than enough oomph and storage capacity, but it's a hair too big for me. I can't help but fantasize about the aftermarket catching up with the 4R with taller windscreens and serious luggage. And if the speculated cruise and heated grips are on it, well...that would probably just about be my dream bike--if it fits.

I know what you mean about Suzuki! The 2016 'Busa I rode was long and low and cornered like nothing else I have ever experienced!!! And that was before I learned about body position. The GSX-S1000 and S1000F fit me to a tee! I rode one of them the most (I was contracted to work for Suzuki those two days. What a SWEET gig!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:). Honestly, if I had had Brain One, that would've been the literbike I would've bought. But I was just too darn infatuated with those green bags on the NINJA 1000 and not knowledgeable enough about aftermarket luggage options for the Suzukis. Then there's the whole green thing, but a wrap would take care of that.:cool:

And I agree with you about cruiser position (plus my butt can't stand it for very long). Interestingly, I met a fireman who told me that he sees many more cruiser crashes than he does sportbikes. Like you said, cruiser position may impede your ability to move quickly, whereas on a sportbike, you're ready to pounce.
Suzuki doesn't have much in the way of luggage options. My friend with a Busa refers to it as a "couch rocket" due to it being so comfortable to ride. The GSX-S1000 and all the similar naked sport bikes are a great platform. You get sportbike power in slightly a more upright riding postion. Very capable machines & honestly there are VERY VERY few people who can actually push one to it's limits and need more performance.

I did not mention above.
If I am going to take one of the girls up to 120, the sport bike is the one.
BUT, Shirley in particular does not like the lack of comfort provided. The old Yamaha is fine, but the best is the Triumph Trophy. Has a good tank feel, comfortable for all, stops and handles fine. A good compromise for a sport bike cruiser cross. Probably why I just got all the bits painted at mucho $$$.
The Trophy is a fantastic bike. Yamaha's FJ series is also a fantastic platform. Both have more performance than the average rider would need and you can ride them for days.

· Ace Tuner
4,162 Posts
You get sportbike power in slightly a more upright riding postion. Very capable machines & honestly there are VERY VERY few people who can actually push one to it's limits and need more performance.
The Trophy is a fantastic bike. Yamaha's FJ series is also a fantastic platform. Both have more performance than the average rider would need and you can ride them for days.
Yep, after replacing the handlebars (slightly taller) on my first gen FZ1 and giving it a better seat... It's comfortable putting along at 30 MPH, dragging a boot in a corner or tucked in running in triple digits. It has adjustable compression / rebound damping and spring preload on both ends. It's truly a Do Everything Bike. :sneaky:
These days you either get Awesome suspension with a racer seating position or more standard seating from a Retro Model with suspension that has little adjustability and may not be up to the task, as is.

S F

· Mod of the North
761 Posts
Yep, after replacing the handlebars (slightly taller) on my first gen FZ1 and giving it a better seat... It's comfortable putting along at 30 MPH, dragging a boot in a corner or tucked in running in triple digits. It has adjustable compression / rebound damping and spring preload on both ends. It's truly a Do Everything Bike. :sneaky:
These days you either get Awesome suspension with a racer seating position or more standard seating from a Retro Model with suspension that has little adjustability and may not be up to the task, as is.

S F
The bar raiser kits are a big improvement. The only down side is sometimes there are clearance issues with the faring. Suzuki super sports are worst for that.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts