Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Then you are doing something incorrectly. My junk sits between my legs on a supersport, I don't understand how you could be sitting ON them. Sounds like a personal problem. Just because you have an issue with something doesn't mean that everyone else does, or that those people are "women" in your estimation, lol. Get real man.
For real though. I'm not unique. You really do smash your twig and berries when you ride those things.

A quick Google search reveals countless links discussing the topic...

The more forward leaning the seating position, the worse it is. Im fine on my FZ09 but fuhgettaboutit on my FZR600.

· Registered
81 Posts
For real though. I'm not unique. You really do smash your twig and berries when you ride those things.

A quick Google search reveals countless links discussing the topic...

The more forward leaning the seating position, the worse it is. Im fine on my FZ09 but fuhgettaboutit on my FZR600.
Top comment in the reddit thread that shows up in the search link you posted:

"Hold on with your thighs to prevent yourself slipping forward. Your forearms should be parallel with the road and your elbows bent."

I pretty much agree with that. I have tank grips on my CBR, I flex my legs to hold on to the tank, use my core and back muscles to keep me sitting upright, and keep my hands light on the handlebars. Now, I'm fortunate that I have long arms so I'm able to keep my groin off my gas tank, but I think it's doable even with shorter arms.

If you maintain a sloppy posture, yes, your junk can get smushed up against your tank- but you shouldn't be sitting ON your junk- I legitimately don't know how that's even possible.

Either way, if you use the right posture and use the right accessories/technique to do that, you're fine. I've never had to take a break on my bike because my junk hurt. Don't get me wrong, riding on sportbikes for long distances IS uncomfortable, and I don't really enjoy it anymore now that I have Ninja 1000 which is far more upright, but it's absolutely doable.

· Ace Tuner
4,162 Posts
My 1985 Ninja 600 had a curved seat. No Ball Room At All. Was going to do something about the seat but the engine cratered before I got round to it.
My 2003 FZ1 seat was not as bad but a little low on ball room. A Corbin seat fixed that. A skinny guy with a skinny butt needs a fairly flat seat. Big butt guys (or average size) may not understand.

S F

· Registered
2,095 Posts
Oh wait, are you guys wearing cotton denim blue jeans? :ROFLMAO: ya that would do it, they don't have ballrooms
It's C) wear looser pants, kilt if necessary
Actually, you are on the money. A good fitting pair of underduds and a proper pair of riding pants and no problem. I only have locknut syndrome when wearing street pants on the bike/s.

· Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,302 Posts
What a great thread ! lots of good info mixed in with the humor .

My son loaned me his brandy new Honda CBR600RR, I rode it up and down the Mulholland Highway, boy howdy was it fast and uncomfortable .

Said son is short so fits pretty much any sport bike comfortably .

One of my buddies swears by flopping his big belly on the tank, I have a broken back so leaning forward much is excruciating for me .

"just have more Motocycles" ~ yes but many cannot afford to do so .

· Registered
75 Posts
Back in the day they weren't always so committed, the Honda CBR600F2 and VFR800, Yamaha YZF600, Suzuki RF900/600 and some of the early Kawasaki ZX-6 were all sportbikes yet blurred the definition somewhat. Full fairing but decent bars, seats and riding position- I could ride those bikes for hours and even owned the YZF600 and VFR800.

Fortunately, today's supersports are miserable racks I couldn't ride to the gas station. I'm glad they resolved that for all of us.

· Mod of the North
761 Posts
After years of riding motocross, enduro, ADV and supermoto bikes, I tried riding a ZX-6R, to see how I like it and maybe buy it as my next bike. After riding for about 10 minutes, it was... a lot worse than I expected. My legs were completely folded up, I was leaned really far forward, my hands were hitting the tank at full steering lock, I was having to actively crane my neck backwards to see anything, basically very uncomfortable in every way. But even worse than that, I had zero confidence when taking corners. I had no control and leverage on the bars, they were way too narrow and low, I tried moving off the seat and sticking a knee out but it felt extremely unstable, sitting upright and not moving in the seat felt the "best" (more like least bad), even though it's not proper body positioning. Being uncomfortable combined with no confidence seemed like the worst possible combination for having fun in the twisties, so this has seriously made me reconsider owning a sportbike.
So I'm wondering, is this just something you get used to? Going fast through a twisty road on a bike like this almost seems impossible based on my test ride, but I know these bikes are capable of it. If this is just something to get used to, does it take a long time to adjust to it, considering the ergonomics are so wildly different? Or are there actually people who can corner better with dirt bars than clip ons, and I just didn't know about them?
I am late to the party here but I’ll throw in my experience as a sport bike rider.

I’m 59 and ride an ‘89 GSXR 1100. Previous bike was a 2010 GSXR 600.

I have no illusions that it is a bike I am gonna put in the highway and cruise for 4 hours. Sitting static and cruising with traffic for hours does cramp you up.

Thay said, body position is very important on a sport bike. You aren’t settling in to a seat the size of a recliner and stretching your legs out to forward controls. The ‘89 is heavy and awkward - not gonna lie. I have posted many times it is miserable to maneuver at anything below 30 mph. Over that though and it is a totally different experience.

You need to squeeze the tank with your knees on a sport bike and hold yourself up with your core. The biggest mistake made is putting weight in your wrists at the bars.

Once you “get” that it is a different machine and the power and precision comes to light.

The type of bike also has an effect. I have heard it said you sit on a Honda and you sit in a Suzuki. My center of gravity is very close to the CoG of the bike and feeling attached and in tune is easy once you learn to grab the tank and lock yourself in.

As said above, due to the geometry of the suspension you will not be moving the bats more than half an inch or so at speed. Steering lock is only a pain if you have it upright putting around.

· Administrator
1,808 Posts
I have pretty much only rode sport bikes and my only issue has been the seats, thus spending 700.00 usd to get a Corbin custom seat. The rest I learned long ago to use my body core to hold me up not my arms and that is what I am used to.

· Registered
1 Posts
At 25 years old and fit, a supersport is no problem at all. At 55 and overweight, it's a no go. These things are really best on track. At 80mph and accelerating at warp speed with 150 hp, you are glad to be leaning forward. Remember to turn the bars the opposite way you want to go. A tiny push on the inside bar is all it takes to be leaning at 45 degrees. It's like second nature once you get used to them.

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
I can ride sport bikes ALL day if the roads are curvy or riding on a track.
I can only ride half the day, or stop a lot if the roads are straight.
I'm dying to see how well I'll fit the rumored ZX4R. 🤞 🤞 🤞 My concerns are the reach being too far forward for me (I couldn't even raise the sidestand on an R7, but that's a much bigger bike) and whether my bum shoulder from a car accident can handle it for more than 20 minutes; that's all I could take at Suzuki Demo Days on the Hayabusa.:cry: Hopefully, I'll be able to fare as well as you do! But if it does work for me, that faces me with the tough choice of getting one of them or the much more inexpensive used NINJA 400.:unsure:

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Our BC insurance rates have a break at 400. An SV650, or the cruiser version, or the Kawasaki 650, would be useful bikes. But the insurance rates are the same as a 750. The 400 is quite a bit cheaper. If the Kawasaki has 50 or more HP, then it would be a useful bike, and suitable for winter riding.
Currently my old XS400 with 45HP usually does this job. Regular readers will know I have been chatting about this for a while. UK

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
If you are going to keep the Ninja 650, I personally would buy the Ninja 400 as a toy. Still a great little bike.
Yeah,it is, and that would be the smart thing. But, dang, an inline four 400?? I was all over the ZX25R when it came out. I hope by some miracle one will show up in my world somehow so I can at least check it out. Sounds like the 4R will have more HP than my 650, which is certainly sufficient and then some, but far less than my 1000 had so I should be able to have a little extra fun but not get in trouble. Much.;)

· Mod of the North
761 Posts
I’ll chime in. I have an ‘89 GSXR 1100 and it is all the good and all the bad of a sport bike at the same time. It is like wrestling a water buffalo to go through a parking lot but it becomes very light above 30 mph. It has a long reach and high foot pegs. As mentioned by @Carbide , it is no fun on the highway for three or four hours but I can ride for a day if there are a few twists and turns. Lets face it, I am not riding for comfort - I am riding for the performance. High heels are not at all comfortable but that doesn't make them any less popular.

One thing many don't realize is you need to squeeze the tank with your knees. I don't mind this, I actually feel more secure in the forward crouch position. Feels like a football stance where you are ready to move. I don't enjoy the cruiser style riding position that is more upright to backwards leaning with my feet out front. I feel more like I am in an arm chair and not going to move quickly. Just me tho.

Another is sport bikes all vary widely in position and adjustability. The center of gravity is very apparent. I have heard it described as "You sit on a Honda & you sit in a Suzuki"

Riders aside - sport bikes are torture for passengers. I can;t fathom how they can be comfprtable at all.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Shouldn't the Kawasaki Good Times Demo Ride Tour be starting up soon. My local dealer (yeah, 400 mile round trip!) is usually a stop on the tour and if they have the 4r available I will definitely be taking a test ride. And, those test rides have cost me money in the past!!!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts