Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2009 triumph bonnevile, I've had it for a year. I had a busy year and I'm just now starting to get into doing my own maintenance. I'm planning on doing a bunch of stuff over the weekend. I'm wondering, how often should I replace the spark plugs? They were brand new when I bought it one year ago...is it time? Or should they still be good? Thanks

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Does Triumph give you a service interval for them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spark plugs are really cheap. If there is a service interval for them, use that to judge weather or not you should do them. You can also inspect them and check the gap but if you are doing that much, why not just replace them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok great...today I'm doing an oil and air filter change, there's a triumph dealer nearby I buy the parts from, I guess I can just ask them when I go in if it's time. No, I haven't done any hacking...I haven't really done anything other than ride, and we had a cold winter and rainy spring, so I really haven't done that much...I've only put 1000 miles on it since I bought it. I had one oil change over the winter, today will be it's second.
Thanks for the replies

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
1K miles is nowhere close to needing changed plugs but how many total miles on the machine, that would determine if you need plugs figuring they are probably originals. But if it was serviced with new plugs when sold then you are still good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bike had 29k when I bought it last year, currently just over 30k...pretty sure it had new spark plugs put in when they bought it, it was from a dealership and they told me it was fully serviced and tuned, but I guess I could check.

This is my dream bike, I spent years saving for it so I really want to take good care of it. I got busy and kind of let things go with my old bike, but not this time...I finally have some time off so I'm going to baby it as much as I can.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Guess you'll have to remove a plug and look to see if they are new then. 1k miles they still should look new. Personally if it's running fine I would even bother looking myself but ride the heck out of it.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Just to give you a comparison, on a Harley they call for a plug replacement every 30,000 miles. Check your factory recommendations, of course, and see what the plugs you have in there look like, but if there's any doubt just switch them out and start fresh from there. Plugs are comparatively cheap.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
the bike had 29k when I bought it last year, currently just over 30k...pretty sure it had new spark plugs put in when they bought it, it was from a dealership and they told me it was fully serviced and tuned, but I guess I could check.

This is my dream bike, I spent years saving for it so I really want to take good care of it. I got busy and kind of let things go with my old bike, but not this time...I finally have some time off so I'm going to baby it as much as I can.
I like your attitude and the fact that you want to learn how to take great care of it and not get behind on things. Since you want to be proactive, why don't you jump on Ebay and find yourself an owner's manual? They aren't too spendy, and are full of great pieces of information on how to take care of your bike. What's more, it will be particular to your exact bike, so there will never be any confusion. Somewhere in it will be a chart with maintenance intervals for every little thing you can think of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts