Motorcycle Forum banner

How often do you "hit the ton"?

7K views 101 replies 36 participants last post by  hogcowboy 
#1 ·
I'm not sure why hitting triple digits on the bike is called "hitting the ton", but I find I really get an adrenaline rush when I push the Goldwing to 100 mph or more. Fortunately for me I have a stretch of two lane country road not too far from where I live where the road is open and straight for a pretty long stretch, with basically no where for John Law to hide and wait, and usually zero traffic on this road when I go there. It doesn't take long to get the speed up from 65 mph or so to 100 or 105 on the speedo, and I usually just stay at this speed for a few seconds, but that is enough to get the thrill of speed. I know that as I get older I am supposed to take it easier on the speed than when I was a young and impetuous rider, but in truth, most of the bikes I owned in my earlier days could not reach 100 or not do so without a long, long stretch of open road. When I owned a sport tourer years ago I used to routinely "hit the ton" but with the cruisers that I owned it was not very do-able most of the time. I tend to believe that its a good exercise for getting the heart to pump a little harder and faster, but without breaking a sweat, so "hitting the ton" is actually part of my "living healthy" program. That is, as long as a deer doesn't run out in front of me or something like that. And even at a 100 mph, the bike stays smooth and steady and not a whiff of vibration in the mirrors. Pretty cool.

#40 ·
I once wasted a lot of money trying to go fast. Then I realized that no matter how fast I could go there was always someone who could go faster, I wasn't really impressing anyone in a positive way, and I had thrown away a bunch of money I could have used for other useful things.

Besides, there's really not all that many riders that can keep up with my stock Harley Road King anyway. Most of them never even make it past the first state line.

#42 ·
Besides, there's really not all that many riders that can keep up with my stock Harley Road King anyway. Most of them never even make it past the first state line.

Now that is funny:smile_big:

#41 ·
Eye, this has nothing to do with impressing anyone. It's just about the rush of speed. My fastest ever doesn't even match the average speed of the winner of the Isle of Man TT race, but that doesn't diminish the thrill it gives to me. Maybe if I had access to a racetrack and went into triple digits routinely the thrill would wear off, as it likely does for anyone that races. But when I do it, its both a brief special moment in my riding, and always a bit of a risk. Even on quiet country roads there is always the chance that a deer, or a cow, or a dog will jump out in front of me, and that's likely the end of my story.

The funny thing is that perception of speed is not the same as true speed. Yesterday I had the chance to take several demo rides. Hitting 80 or 85 with the new Goldwing, or with the Indian Scout (what a weird position to sit in on that bike but a fun ride) was no big deal. But hitting 65 on a Rebel 500 felt like I was flying! My regular ride, a Goldwing is smooth and comfortable, which is great and just what I wanted, but it sure doesn't give me a rush even when doing 80 or more on the Interstate just keeping up with crazy Chicago drivers. So to get that rush I have to push the needle a bit higher than I normally go. It sure keeps my blood pumping and makes me feel a lot less than my 75 years.

#45 ·
Maybe if I had access to a racetrack and went into triple digits routinely the thrill would wear off, as it likely does for anyone that races.
No, that's the way they get you hooked on it. Then you gotta pay more to get more so you can go even faster so you can get more and, well.... It's a never ending cycle.

#44 ·
Perception. I can remember very well the first time I hit 45mph when I first started riding. Thing is, that's still fast enough to kill. But 45mph felt like 100 easy.

#47 ·
Both my current bikes would benefit from a taller high gear.
They have plenty of power left to give if it had someplace to go.

The VTX gets some funny vibrations above 80 or so. I may have caused that with my bat-wing and deflectors on the forks upfront. It's not setup for speed, but long riding two up comfort.

The sporty remains with its stock gearing that works better for the curvy hilly roads here in Southern Indiana.

#50 ·
Hunter S Thompson didn't know a thing about cannons, but he sure had some experience getting squeezed pretty tight. :) Or at least beaten up fairly well.

And in the end it turns out that he was a gutless, self-involved prick, so I can't say I'd ever want to quote him on any subject that was worthwhile discussing seriously.

#51 ·
You're talking about the time he got involved with an HA member tuning up on his significant other? I think that takes guts, actually. Maybe not brains, but guts for sure. Just curious, why do you say what you do about the guy? I think he was a pretty interesting character.

#52 · (Edited)
Just curious, why do you say what you do about the guy? I think he was a pretty interesting character.
I got curious as well and came across this... well, a few articles that I can't link to... and, after reading them and remembering how he took himself out, would agree with Eye_m_no_angel's assessment.

Having dealt with a number of suicides, I feel that, short of VERY extreme circumstances, it is an act of pure selfishness and horrifyingly life altering when children are involved. Just my opinion, of course...

On topic... I will say I'm surprised that hitting 100 is that rare among bikers. I would usually hit it at least once when I'd take my little Ninja 300 out. With the F4i, I'll take the 5th...

#55 ·
You nailed it, Doc. And to do it when your children are in the next room so they are sure to find you? A$$hole.

As for the beating, a Hells Angel (who wasn't there) told me it was because Thompson was an insufferable egoist and was bragging to some of them about the money he would make off of them by writing about them.

#56 ·
I think that the oft quoted Thompson's "Great Sausage Machine" is a piece of drivel.

If he rode like that then he wouldn't have reached an age where he felt he had to top himself.

Ego-centric a***hole. Yeah I've read that the Hells Angels just got sick of his pontificating and boasting.

#57 ·
"Song of the spaghetti monster", which was in a review of a Ducati Super Sport, incidentally. That whole point of "gonzo journalism" was to mix in equal parts fiction, reality, and nonsense. I don't think anyone actually believed he did the things he said. Not even Marc Marquez has that level of bike control.

#61 ·
It depends on the state's laws and the individual agency's policies. There's no nationwide policy for all police agencies and I don't think there's any reliable listing of who does what.

Many of the better trained agencies leave it up to the individual officer or supervisor, and they are expected to take into consideration the nature of the offense and the existing conditions and decide if the apprehension is worth the risk the chase poses to the public.

#59 ·
A friend of a friend tried to debate with me that the previous owner neutered my Buell's power by putting one of those "turbo mufflers" on it. I had a feeling he didn't know what he was talking about...I mean, the bike likes to wander above the speed limit without even trying. :) At any rate, during the weekend I decided to give it my all. I hit 93-ish mph before I had to back down and it didn't take too long to get there. I bet I can totally hit the advertised top speed, especially if I drop a few pounds and leave my totally not aerodynamic purse at home.

Reactions: seagullplayer
#62 ·
Yeah. I kind of figured. That's just what I've heard here in ny from guys. Running isn't something I would do in my old age approaching 50. I've been pulled over several times and let go (under 100). One time cop thanked me for not running around the buffalo area and let me go . I think I was doing 85-90 in a 55. He said "I figured you wouldn't run after checking my info and seeing my age (about 4 years ago). They must get a lot of hooligans around there.

#63 ·
I've never tried to out run one but can say they are generally pretty good if you are cooperative. I was well over a dollar once when a cop going the other way pulled a U-turn and began a pursuit. He let me off for doing 80 in a 65. He could have easily called for a tow and hauled my butt to jail. Cooperation means so much. I'm also glad it happened on one of the vert rare times where I had shaved my beard off. Profiling being what it is ya know.:devil::angel:

#65 ·
I got pulled over for doing a hundred an fifteen on a Honda Scrambler up in Massachusetts, on what was then rte.25, a southeast extension off rte.24 that ran from Newport R.I. to Boston,Mass.The state trooper asked,"Do you know how fast you were going?" "Last I looked the needle was between one-ten and one- fifteen, guess it averages out to a hundred an twelve." "Well your not worth a ticket for, probably be splattered all over the place before you ever get enough to pay the fine." He got in his cruiser and split, probably to get a coffee an doughnuts.

That was not the last time I got pulled over but I knew one thing, They don't like a kid on a bike getting 'mouthy or being a wise-ass' regardless of age'. If I see a nice stretch of Hi-way, no hills or curves, I will open her up. I did get pulled over a few years ago, bright sunny day, nice long stretch on rte.75. and he asked why I was doing a hundred an five, "Well officer, to me it's a big thing to always know what um getting for mileage, lately forty a gallon, just serviced air cleaner, re-gaped plugs, new fuel filter and frankly wanted to see how much better she'd run." Well you can check that without speeding!" "yeah, divide miles by gallons." Well keep it inside the limit. . .o.k? he got in his car and left.

#67 ·
I usually just play innocent and make sure I'm wearing something that makes me look cute.

"Ohmy gosh, I'm so sorry, officer! I was just trying to get home after a long day." *Bats eyes*

"Aww, it's okay, just try to go slower, okay?"

Last time I actually got a speeding ticket, the officer was a woman. Oof. :grin:

#66 ·
I hit the ton daily when I lived near the desert. Wide open highways, almost no traffic or cops & winding mountain roads 30 miles away. I just had to watch for armadillos crossing. I did get one ticket on that winding mountain road, 85 in a 50. 30+ years later I'm in the city, surrounded by traffic & cops so I'm riding the first bike I've never topped out. Suzuki 650 VStrom. I got a speeding ticket here on a Suzuki Savage in 2004. That says it all.

#69 ·
Never. On my 500cc Enfield, it just won't go that fast. Anyway whats the point.No one can see you, so no posing value. Bit like my mate who took his Harley chopper in to get a big head light fitted as he could not see that well at night. The dude there asked him what he was doing riding at night, because no one can drool over your bike at night, because they can't see it.

#70 ·
I dont think its about being seen. I think its for the thrill/rush. In my case I only do it on highways when its "safe" (yeah, I know) and after i have fully scanned for as many cops, deer, hazards, etc. as possible. Usually when there is no traffic. Where I live is nothing like the big cities.
A lot of the time, I have to ride aggressively to get out of "retard hour". I am not patient, especially for stupidity. That includes people who are almost stopped/completely stopped to let others merge onto highway, or people who are in the left (PASSING!!!!!) lane going at their own slow pace, etc. I want to kill people that drive in the left lane and make you pass on the right.
Besides, liter bikes like mine can do 100 in 1st gear or very close to it. i just tell the officer, "SIR, I didn't know I was going that fast, I was only in 1st (or 2nd gear) and had several gears to go" :)

#72 ·
Hey Kiwi Steve, you must have been around in my youth. Cause that was just what it was like. You just left out the 59 club and Chelsea Bridge.

I remember a mate of mine going to a new years eve party and had his BSA Bantam 125 wide open down Chiswick High Street.
The police pulled him over and asked why he was doing 95 mph. He explained that his bike was not able to do 95. So the police officer told him he could either admit to doing 95 as long as he promised not to go above the 30mph limit, or they could nick him for doing 45.
He was so proud that his 125 bantem could do 95.
Great days

#77 ·
You need to get out of the city to ride. If i couldn’t get to country roads i’d Probably trade in my Goldwing for a scooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.