Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
25,628 Posts
Not so cut-n-dried as you might think:

Yep, I've opened a mud daubers nest just to see what was inside. A bunch of spiders for the young to feed on. So I tend to leave them alone until they attack me. Then they lose. But what the heck are they doing out on the highway which is what this thread is about? They are there just looking for me, that has to be it!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am allergic to bee venom, and have been stung 3 times while riding. Once thru the pants, once on the back of the neck, and once on the wrist. It always results in a ride to the ER or urgent care. So I cover up as much as possible, so as not to leave any exposed skin. I always use gauntlet style gloves, as sleeves without them seem like bee scoops. I have been lucky for a long time now, with no recent stings.

·
Short Fuse
613 Posts
I am allergic to bee venom, and have been stung 3 times while riding. Once thru the pants, once on the back of the neck, and once on the wrist. It always results in a ride to the ER or urgent care. So I cover up as much as possible, so as not to leave any exposed skin. I always use gauntlet style gloves, as sleeves without them seem like bee scoops. I have been lucky for a long time now, with no recent stings.
Why don't you ride with an Epipen? my ex has a bee allergy and always rides with one onboard.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why don't you ride with an Epipen? my ex has a bee allergy and always rides with one onboard.
Actually I do! I have one in my backpack. When I get stung, I pull right over, drop my pants, and self inject into my thigh. Then I head to the hospital for what's next. One time it was in nice IV cocktail of steroids and morphine.

·
Short Fuse
613 Posts
Actually I do! I have one in my backpack. When I get stung, I pull right over, drop my pants, and self inject into my thigh. Then I head to the hospital for what's next. One time it was in nice IV cocktail of steroids and morphine.
That looks like a Shiver in your avatar - good choice ;)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,059 Posts
The last place I lived in Southern, CA, in Hemet, it was surrounded by Citrus trees like Orange, Lemon and grapefruit Groves to the East and South of town, the route leading to some of the best mountainous street riding and Jeep and Dualsport riding around!

I got stung frequently even though I wore long sleeve shirts and buttoned the top button to keep the Bee's out. It didn't work as they still found their way inside to nail me, usually on my 'TIT.' o_O

In SW Missouri, it is the WASP that seems to get me once in a while! You know it's a wasp because it will sting you numerous times until squished whereas a Bee will sting once!

My Wife was on the back once in Utah, as we made our way back from a Missouri vacation on our CB750, in 1975 and She started screaming for me to pull off the Interstate!!!!!!!!!!! I did and when stopped, she told me to gently take her helmet off and in her right 'ear' side, a huge WASP was just sitting there apparently along for the ride and it never stung Her!!!😁

I would say that as of today, I haven't been stung in maybe 5 years or so!

Sam🤠

·
Short Fuse
613 Posts
it is the WASP that seems to get me once in a while! You know it's a wasp because it will sting you numerous times until squished whereas a Bee will sting once!
Years ago I had a wasp fly into my T-shirt while I was riding - that sucker stung me about 10 times before I could pull over and rip off my T.

Recently I was fueling up at a servo and there was a wasp nest under the roof over the pumps. Lots of people in cars and bikes coming and going...no-one got stung except you know who. I was wearing a very bright green and red long sleeve kind of T shirt. Apparently the red and green colours present a threat to some insects....so they gave me some special attention.

Or maybe they were rewarding me for my lack of sartorial elegance. :unsure:

·
American Legion Rider
25,628 Posts
a huge WASP was just sitting there apparently along for the ride and it never stung Her!!
Now just how lucky can you get??? I would have stung multiple times for sure. I must have a, STING ME, sign somewhere I've not found yet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts