Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to happen to me all the time. I get stung in the neck at least twice a year by a wasp. Hands down that's the most painful. At least that's quick, though. They somehow come in ass-first to sting me whilst splattering against my skin. Sort of impressive, really. I get a lot of stingers or biters that end up down my shirt too, though. That can get a tad more hazardous, what with the emergency stopping and disrobing. I always wear full gear, but I've taken to wearing compression shirts with high collars to keep the little buggers out. Does this happen to anyone else? Any of my riding buddies just assume it's a curse that I just have to live with, cause it sure as heck isn't happening to them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Never had that happen. But a couple years ago I was mowing my lawn and there was a bee or wasp nest or something in the ground, and I swear to you it was the damn queen that stung me in my calf, then I was immediately swarmed by like a dozen beers or wasps or hornets or whatever they were. But the one that stung me in my calf was the biggest bee/wasp I'd ever seen. Like 2" long. I had a swollen welt and then dark bruise the size of a baseball all summer. Now I keep finding these ground hives all around my house. Theyre everywhere. Every time I mow my lawn now I start running in fear any time I feel like something touched my leg. Ive got some sort of PTSD from it.. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Been riding on/off road a total of 20+ yrs and have been lucky to never had the deal with that issue.

Some yrs ago I did have an 'encounter' with a paper wasp nest that I didn't realize was in a large dead shrub that I'd just cut off at the ground. Was carrying it from our B yard to my truck when I found myself surrounded by wasps. I'm not allergic to stinging bees, wasps, and hornets, so I said "bother someone who cares". Well, they bit my arms, face and neck. I've had a red dot on my nose ever since.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Had to drop trow only once at the side of a busy road to extract a hornet. One other time a big Bumble bee hit me right between the lips and I just turned my head and spit him or her out, no sting luckily.

Then there was the time a kid shot me in the leg with a pellet gun for no particular reason, not sure if that counts but it sure did sting.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I may not get any stings for several years, and then I'll get one or two. This year I shared with my wife. She was guiding me as I was backing up to a trailer to hitch up. I'm not sure what she did, but two or three wasps flew out from underneath the hitch and she got stung on the leg. I gave them a good soaking of wasp spray which they didn't like.

Next time was a few weeks ago. I turned on the porch light at about 5:30 in the morning, and when I stepped out I felt a sting on the back of my neck. I grabbed it and flung it down on the porch right quick and saw it was a red wasp. Stepping on him fixed his little red wagon.

I should be good for three or four years now.

·
Premium Member
9,701 Posts
Got stung three times yesterday. But I was doing stuff next to a nest. Just blasted it with Raid. More later, and more still after dark. Would normally make a flame thrower, but it is next to the neighbour's wood fence and dry brush.
On the road they usually bounce off. UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,923 Posts
Never had that happen. But a couple years ago I was mowing my lawn and there was a bee or wasp nest or something in the ground, and I swear to you it was the damn queen that stung me in my calf, then I was immediately swarmed by like a dozen beers or wasps or hornets or whatever they were. But the one that stung me in my calf was the biggest bee/wasp I'd ever seen. Like 2" long. I had a swollen welt and then dark bruise the size of a baseball all summer. Now I keep finding these ground hives all around my house. Theyre everywhere. Every time I mow my lawn now I start running in fear any time I feel like something touched my leg. Ive got some sort of PTSD from it.. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy.
Buy a pair of "chain saw" pants, meant to keep your legs safe while using that tool. I'm sure that no bee or wasp could sting through that thick fabric. About $80 at Ace Hardware if I recall.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,923 Posts
Just last week I was stung for the first time in 35 years of riding. Having a good windscreen stops a lot of potential bug encounters. But this sting was on my arm, just inside the elbow (I was riding in jut a t-shirt and jeans). Fortunately I was able to immediately pull out the stinger without even slowing down, and only had some discomfort for a few hours. What hurt much more was hitting a flying June Bug at 60 mph, right in the cheek in the days before I wore a helmet. I thought I had been shot, but it was "only" that hard shelled bug. I had a bruise the size of a tennis ball for about 2 weeks.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
640 Posts
Riding, never. Mowing, occasionally. Sunday evening, I mowed up close to a bush and after rolling past it, i noticed a huge wasp nest. Eventully I'm going to get a box or a couple of boxes of bees. Once the colony is full grown, they should have about 40k bees each, so I imagine having 80k bees in my yard by next year I'll get hit a few times.

·
On The Road Again!
4,100 Posts
I don't have that problem.
The full fairing on the Goldwing deflects all those critters around me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
About 4 years ago riding down the highway full face helmet and sunglasses on visor up felt a thud in left side of the helmet could hear it buzzing around my ear seemed like forever and then the inevitable stung by a wasp man did that hurt but riding 20 plus years I consider myself very lucky to have it only happened once. Now big bugs smashing into your face while on a ride happens all the time so I ride with the face shield only cracked at the bottom when on the highway and am always wearing some type of glasses. Had a full windshield on my 2011 Yamaha V star 1100 custom and it really did help now back to no windscreen O well.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
This seems to happen to me all the time. I get stung in the neck at least twice a year by a wasp. Hands down that's the most painful. At least that's quick, though. They somehow come in ass-first to sting me whilst splattering against my skin. Sort of impressive, really. I get a lot of stingers or biters that end up down my shirt too, though. That can get a tad more hazardous, what with the emergency stopping and disrobing. I always wear full gear, but I've taken to wearing compression shirts with high collars to keep the little buggers out. Does this happen to anyone else? Any of my riding buddies just assume it's a curse that I just have to live with, cause it sure as heck isn't happening to them.
happend one or twice with bees, and cecadas... BUT,

I did buy an old xj550 seca years ago.. with intent to quick flip it. Got it home, little minor work and she fired up but died. Took carb rack off and went thru it, re installed and she fired right up. Spent an hour fine tuning and syncing, shut her down, changed the oil and filter, front brake fluid, and new pads frt and rear. got up early the next morning to give her a ride and a good pounding lol

rode exellent for about an hour, pulled up to a light and was waiting, all the sudden ther was about 7 hornets buzzing around me, I was frantically swatting hornets and praying for the light to change. When the light went green, it was for the turn lane only, meaning I was stuck there... then all the sudden I got stung on the back of my neck and then the front of my neck.. this was the only areas with exposed skin. hurt like a Bi***!... Light turned green and rode home like a banshee. later that day I found the nest under the tank, and another one in the side panel.

Lesson learned, inspect for bees and hornet nests befor riding a bike that was stored outside!

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
They somehow come in ass-first to sting me whilst splattering against my skin.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that seems to rear-end stinging critters. Like you, at least twice a year and usually more. And I've become quite sensitive to honeybees. I've had my eyes swell shut in just a matter of minutes but was fortunate to be close enough to home to get there and take something for it.
The full fairing on the Goldwing deflects all those critters around me.
I've got a full fairing too but I still rear-end the things as they can still come in from the sides in a fraction of a second. Those seem to hit my helmet and then float around in the pocket of dead air behind the windshield. Or talk about being targeted, I usually have the helmet screen down except for just a crack at the bottom for fresh air and they manage to hit that crack perfectly to come in and sting. I feel like I'm cursed at times. I couldn't toss a tiny rock in that crack if I had to but they sure find it.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Yeah I've had them in my shirt a few times. Button up shirts seem to be worse about it.
It'll make you see how fast you can stop when it happens.

S F

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those seem to hit my helmet and then float around in the pocket of dead air behind the windshield.
I think that's what happens to me most of the time, too. If I had to guess, I'd say the little so-and-so's bounce off my helmet or neck and then fall down a tiny opening in my jacket. I keep that bad boy as tight as possible to make sure there's a little a gap as possible, but inevitably one will get past. It's gotten better since I bought an air-jacket. My old one had the big CE 3 chest pads and it created a pretty good gap. The new jacket only inflates in the event of a get-off so there's less room, but I'm sure that's what's happening. Sometimes I'll "rear end" a wasp and when I yank the bike to the side of the road to see where the little sob went, he'll be on my gas tank just stabbing away while he dies. Such amazingly nasty little creatures they are.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Living in the City you probably are dealing with some wasps that grew up hard in the Bronx. Probably got connections, too, so I see why you'd have PTSD! Being from lilly white northwest Connecticut every time I have to drive into Long Island City for work my GPS is like "are you sure this is such a good idea?".

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
640 Posts
On a recent ride, I had a bird fly out of the woods and get me in the left leg. My brother was behind me. He said a cloud of feathers went everywhere and a bald bird went flopping onto the pavement.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a recent ride, I had a bird fly out of the woods and get me in the left leg. My brother was behind me. He said a cloud of feathers went everywhere and a bald bird went flopping onto the pavement.
I actually had that happen recently, too. It was a pigeon and it came from left field (pretty much literally) and bounced off my shoulder. I felt bad and hoped it was killed pretty much instantly. Wasps can all go to hell, though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Felt something itching my head a few minutes after I put my lid on and when I took off my full face a bee flew out. No sting, but it was around this time last year maybe a little later and they get pretty lethargic and goofy. Got stung at the cottage in the lip after picking up a can of coke and taking a sip, yeah, not nice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts