Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife says I have an obsessive compulsive need to clean my motorcycle -- and she wishes I'd develop it on the housekeeping front!

Honestly, she has a point. I find myself cleaning my bike after nearly every ride. Oh, not after the 10-minute evening ride over to the Kwikee Mart for a loaf of bread -- unless there are a lot of bugs out that night -- but I'll surely go through a cleaning routine after a day of riding.

Now, by "clean" I don't mean a full-scale wash-down. I keep a spray bottle of Simple Green and a bottle of Eagle 1 Spray Detailer, along with a couple of clean microfiber towels, in a small cabinet under the carport where I usually park. A quick spritz of the Simple Green, let it soak a few seconds on big bug splats, then wipe it off. Anywhere I see bugs or grime gets a quick shot and wipe-off. Then all the shiny bits get a touch of the spray-shine, and a light buffing. The worst scenario yet, a day-long ride through a humid atmosphere that was about 30% bugs, took me all of 10 minutes. Still...

Do I need therapy? I suspect there may be enablers here who will only reinforce the problem....:surprise::grin:

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
With my Harley I was totally anal. I would not dare leave the house with that bike unless it looked like I just pull out of the showroom. Chrome, paint. It would take me hours to clean it and keep it like that. The BMW K1600 takes 15 minutes...at most.

I just sold the Harley with almost 90,000 miles, this is the picture I took of the bike for the ad

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife says I have an obsessive compulsive need to clean my motorcycle -- and she wishes I'd develop it on the housekeeping front!

Honestly, she has a point. I find myself cleaning my bike after nearly every ride. Oh, not after the 10-minute evening ride over to the Kwikee Mart for a loaf of bread -- unless there are a lot of bugs out that night -- but I'll surely go through a cleaning routine after a day of riding.

Now, by "clean" I don't mean a full-scale wash-down. I keep a spray bottle of Simple Green and a bottle of Eagle 1 Spray Detailer, along with a couple of clean microfiber towels, in a small cabinet under the carport where I usually park. A quick spritz of the Simple Green, let it soak a few seconds on big bug splats, then wipe it off. Anywhere I see bugs or grime gets a quick shot and wipe-off. Then all the shiny bits get a touch of the spray-shine, and a light buffing. The worst scenario yet, a day-long ride through a humid atmosphere that was about 30% bugs, took me all of 10 minutes. Still...

Do I need therapy? I suspect there may be enablers here who will only reinforce the problem....:surprise::grin:

I am JUST like you. Cleanliness is the next thing to ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

I work in the "mental health" profession and see nothing wrong here! Carry on! :smile_big:

Seriously though, my perspective is that 10 minutes after a dirty ride saves 90 minutes down the road. I spray down the frontal area after almost every ride and will go over the whole bike after every 5-6 rides. I much prefer taking a short amount of time to get rid of a little dirt as opposed to taking a long time getting off a lot of dirt. Plus, I just like having a shiny ride!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,487 Posts
I clean them if I am at home. On a trip I don't bother until I get back, except for the windshield. Got to see where you are going.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Vistavette, that picture of your Harley brings two words to mind that my wife MIGHT understand -- "resale value"!
Well...maybe. with 90k on the clock I didn't get much compared to what I had into it. $6,800

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I will not reveal the poor cleaning practice I employ for fear of general forum rebuke. I wish I cleaned as much as you, but, not bad enough to actually do it.
^^This.

Windshield and lights get cleaned regularly. The rest of the bike gets the occasional splash. Full detail, once a year before it gets stored for the winter

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...maybe. with 90k on the clock I didn't get much compared to what I had into it. $6,800

"Not much compared to what I had unto it" pretty much sums up my life with bikes, cars, guns, guitars, etc., etc. But, man, that pristine condition had to have been worth at least a grand. Hats off to anyone who can keep any machine looking that good through 90k miles.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
"Not much compared to what I had unto it" pretty much sums up my life with bikes, cars, guns, guitars, etc., etc. But, man, that pristine condition had to have been worth at least a grand. Hats off to anyone who can keep any machine looking that good through 90k miles.
I'll say that two people called and came right out, both were amazed at the condition and the first guy back with the cash took it home. He texted me a few days later about how much he loves it

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
The windshield is the only thing I get after quickly. The rest can wait until I got nothing at all to do. Which could be months. Or when I get caught in rain. I'll take the time to get the road grime off. Other than those two, it's not worth fighting the dust from 3 miles of gravel roads each and every time I go out. I can have a spotless bike but by the time I get to the main road you'd never know it. Unless the timing was right that a rain came thru to settle the dust. Then I might get out with a pretty clean bike but normally even then, coming back in would be in dust. So it's just not worth fighting it all the time. I envy y'all that have paved roads. Living in the sticks does have it's down side.:wink2:

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
I'm a rider not a cleaner. I wash mine and polish it every couple of weeks of daily riding 140 miles in rain, dust, and bugs. Sometimes I wipe the windshield off in between when it gets hard to see what's in front of me. :)

After a long day in the rain I might feel bad seeing all the film on the chrome and wipe it down with some spray cleaner, 5 minutes with some spray and a soft rag can do wonders with how a filthy bike looks, it's not perfect but at a glance they look clean after that treatment.

They still shine up like new when I take the time to wash and polish them, but I just don't have time to do that every ride.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I could swear that we had a thread on the same topic just a few weeks ago. Nothing wrong with those that like their bike sparkling clean, but that’s not my thing. I do clean the windscreen immediately after almost every ride so that the bugs don’t stick on. I’ll use the same wet cloth that I use for the windscreen to get off any obvious mud splatter or whatever, then dry with a clean cloth. About once a year I might spray the bike down with S100 then rinse it off and dry it with some microfiber cloths and that’s about it. I wouldn’t want the bike to look grungy, but I don’t get too concerned. And I virtually never clean the wheels or the underside of the bike. That would mean getting down on my knees which I can’t do very easily anymore so I just ignore those parts.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I like a clean machine but don't spend much time at it.

My bike has a center stand and single-sided swingarm so everything is easy to get to.

I use a sudsy bucket of warm water and Meguiar's car wash detergent – soft cloth for everything except wheels and engine – soft brush with plastic bristles for those. Suds it up, hose it down, blow off the water with my leaf blower then a quick wipe down with a microfiber cloth. Doesn't take long.

In between washings, I use S100 cleaner on the windscreen and plastic bits. It's good for my helmet too.

Like on most sport bikes, I look over my windscreen, not through it. So dead bugs don't impair my vision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do 4 or 5 road trips a year and generally do a good job of cleaning before and after, other than that only when I'm bored. I do keep spray and rags handy so the grandkids can polish while hanging out with grandpa :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unfortunately I live down a dirt road so I have to do at least a wipe down every ride or it will soon be complete dirty.

I moved down this road 20 years ago when I had two big, furry collie dogs that loved to roam and chase rabbits (they would not hurt them) and squirrels and I did not trust them not to get in a busy road so living down at the end of a dead end dirt road let them and me enjoy our lives in good safety.

But, I hate this dang dirt road and soon I will hopefully bid it farewell.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
vito said:
And I virtually never clean the wheels or the underside of the bike. That would mean getting down on my knees which I can’t do very easily anymore so I just ignore those parts.
Me too. My wheels have so much dust or mud at times, depending on whether it's rained or not, that I'm surprised I don't feel it shaking the handlebars. Maybe that's the Ride-On doing it's thing but it never happens?

3crows said:
But, I hate this dang dirt road and soon I will hopefully bid it farewell.
I absolutely love where I am but I agree about the dust or mud. Makes me wonder who's pocket my tax dollars are going into. After this many years of being it's own nation, there shouldn't be a single road that isn't paved.

Yet in Texas I swear there are more unpaved than paved. It's disgusting. And 9 times out of 10 there is no warning the paved stuff ends a mile after you make a turn down some road.

Unpaved roads is one place we are getting raped by those now rich jerks in congress.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts