Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a nice Craftsman professional MC lift/jack for my birthday and am getting ready to change my oil. This got me to thinking...they always say you should change the oil in your car every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I have put about 1100 miles on my bike since l bought it 5 months ago. Should l have changed the oil a couple of months ago even though the mileage hadn't been put on it? Also, does anyone have a strong recommendation for a brand of oils they like? My owner's manual says to use SF/SG or SH/SJ in API, MA in JASO.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
I usually stay away from Oil Threads but will say if use Blackstone Labs for Oil Analysis is a good way to find out if the oil you are using is doing what it's supposed to .. I did find out this way that Amsoil 20W50 which is the recommend weight for Most Harleys anyway did a better job as full synthetic than their OEM Syn 3 did.. On my Last Sportster used Amsoil 20W50 right after the 500 Mile Break In (Broke in with 20W50 Dyno Oil) for all .. Engine, Primary and Tranny ( Primary and Tranny are shared on a Sportster ) Got Great Reports changing every 5,000 or 6 Months whichever came first .. It now has 160,000 Miles on it now without any trouble although the Buddy I sold it now said starting to use oil now and will be rebuilding soon .. Can't speak for other makes other than my Victory which Lloyd Greer (Victory's High Performance Guru) said he uses Victory OEM Synthetic even for his most Radical Builds which tells me I should do just fine sticking with Victory's OEM 20W40 Semi Synthetic and so far have 50,000 trouble free miles on my Victory and don't use a drop between changes .. Guess my best answer is research your Make and model and see what you get although should warn you will get lots of different answers.. Main thing is change it at proper intervals time and mileage both for example say your change interval in 7,500 but only do 5,000 Miles a year would still change it at least once a year regardless of Mileage .. My Scout is 10,000 Mile Interval Oil and Filter Change but still plan on doing it every 5,000 , May not be necessary but my money my call .. I use Indian OEM 15W60 Full Synthetic on my Scout with no plans of changing it until have actual proof of anything that's truly proven better ..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I buy motorcycle oil from a friend's shop five gallons at a time since she gives me a great deal on it that way. (Have to use my own container.) I think most of the time it's Belray or V-Twin brand, but I don't really pay attention as it doesn't make much difference. If you're paying me to change the oil I'll put in whatever brand of motorcycle oil you prefer.:)

I change the engine oil in my bikes about every 5k miles, give or take, but I try to err on the side of less miles rather then more. I have a few customers from Canada that keep bikes down here and some of them don't ride over 5k miles a winter, so they get changed once a year regardless of miles.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I change mine at the 5000 mile interval, which is what the manufacturer recommends. You really can't go wrong just following the manual.

·
American Legion Rider
21,081 Posts
Oils have improved drastically. I wonder though if they've just about squeezed all they can get out of crud or is there still room for even more improvement. I think no.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks for all the info guys. I am going to go ahead and change it even though it is early. I read on another forum that my bike has a tendency to get sloppy between 1st and 2nd gears when the oil needs changing and l am starting to notice that. It is also running a bit sluggish. I think fresh oil and a new filter will do wonder for it :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,778 Posts
5k or once a year whichever comes first, Rotella T6

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I'm fairly religious about changing my oil every 4k. Usually a bit early because it just eats at me if I go too far over 4000.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I buy motorcycle oil from a friend's shop five gallons at a time since she gives me a great deal on it that way. (Have to use my own container.) I think most of the time it's Belray or V-Twin brand, but I don't really pay attention as it doesn't make much difference. If you're paying me to change the oil I'll put in whatever brand of motorcycle oil you prefer.:)

I change the engine oil in my bikes about every 5k miles, give or take, but I try to err on the side of less miles rather then more. I have a few customers from Canada that keep bikes down here and some of them don't ride over 5k miles a winter, so they get changed once a year regardless of miles.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
I agree with Eye, and an Oil thread is always Treacherous ground and "Opinion" based, There are folks who get really angry and would challenge you to a duel over their brand of oil, ( Not me ) sure there are lots of laboratories that check your used Oil, but I am gonna take a BIG RISK here and say oil that meets the MFG of the vehicles recommended standards is probably fine, I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but that's Just my Opinion.I am almost 65 years old, have ridden Motorcyles and Drag raced for more than 40 years and the Truth is, in all those years I have NEVER had a failure attributed to the Brand of Oil, In my race cars I used Oil the engine parts mfg. recommended........never had a Catastrophic Engine Failure!! I ran some Pretty Big Cubic Inch Stroker motors and ran them on the ragged edge of RPM's too! Quality Oil is Quality Oil ( IMHO) and changing the Oil at a MFG. recommended interval seems fine with me, I believe in the 3K mile interval on my Harley and thats seemed to be OK. Probably I could stretch that on out, but what the Heck? and yea, I run Harley Full Synthetic Oil, probably Overkill.....Ok, Ill shut up.
Regards To all
Ed

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
And here comes dumbazz OneEyedJack to rock everyones boat... The single best, right on, DO THIS kinda thing you can do for your beloved bike is CHANGE HER OIL!!!!! I recommend to my customers that they change their oil every 3000 miles or 6 months, (which ever comes first) the reason is cuz even the best of oils start to break down at about 1800 miles. This has been proven in MANY independant studies.

Oil doesn't do so well sitting in an inactive bike either... it develops moisture... and it breaks down. This is why I tell my customers to change the oil if'n the bike has been stored for more than 6 months.

Everything I just said is available online as long as you don't get your info from anyone who makes money by selling oil.

Every 3000 miles or 6 months!!!! Just Do It!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
And here comes dumbazz OneEyedJack to rock everyones boat... The single best, right on, DO THIS kinda thing you can do for your beloved bike is CHANGE HER OIL!!!!! I recommend to my customers that they change their oil every 3000 miles or 6 months, (which ever comes first) the reason is cuz even the best of oils start to break down at about 1800 miles. This has been proven in MANY independant studies.

Oil doesn't do so well sitting in an inactive bike either... it develops moisture... and it breaks down. This is why I tell my customers to change the oil if'n the bike has been stored for more than 6 months.

Everything I just said is available online as long as you don't get your info from anyone who makes money by selling oil.

Every 3000 miles or 6 months!!!! Just Do It!!!
This is my current standard as well. The MOM on my bike says 6000, but i just cant do it!

·
American Legion Rider
21,081 Posts
I change mine twice a year. What's this once a year thing. Twice or every 5k. I don't even want to talk about tires.:D

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Our Victory's oil is to be changed every 2500 miles. We bought the maintenance plan on it for 5 years. It has paid for itself twice over. We did have to get it approved for us to be able to have it changed, go on our trips 4000 to 5000 miles, and when we got home take it right back for the oil to be changed again. They thought we might need to have it changed on our trip but the dealer said that would be ridiculous to have to try to find a dealer and get it done on a trip.

My bike's oil gets changed every 3000 miles or every 6 months.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
What year is you Vision MONI?
The service manual for my 08 Vegas states 5k between oil/filter changes.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
2009. I think they changed that in 2010 to 3000 or 5000 but I'm not sure.

Found it, the change was made on the 2011 model to 5000.

2. PROVEN OUTSTANDING RELIABILITY = LESS MAINTENANCE
Victory has a track record of consistently outstanding reliability and dependability, which has led to the industry’s highest customer satisfaction ratings. This proven reliability, along with the new transmission design, allows Victory to recommend extended oil service intervals for 2011 drivetrains.
• The recommended oil change interval for 2011 models is every 5,000 miles

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought everything l need...found oil on Amazon and had it shipped since my NAPA didn't have any synthetic. So l will be changing it this week as soon as it gets here. Also, the NAPA owner (who is a family friend since l was a kid) hooked me up with one of his employees who is an Amsoil distributor. He is 2 weeks out for his shipment, so l ordered half a case for future use so l am prepared next time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts