Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
I did not watch it to the very end, but I wonder if the dude was impaired in any way.

That would explain him not actually saying anything after the crash. I don't remember him saying a single word. I would have been calling myself every single word in the book.

UK

·
Registered
655 Posts
My 'SLOW SOWN STUPID' voice could barely be heard when I was a young rider. It didn't matter, Desert, MX, or Street, it was always as fast as I could go. With the expected results in the dirt. The one thing I did learn was to slow down a little bit and break the rhythm. For me at least, if I was setup wrong for a turn, the next turn would be just as bad or maybe even worse. Yes, there were long straights where he could have broken the rhythm, but he didn't. Maybe he was impaired somehow.

I did see another video where it was the same guy (I think. Same bike, and riding gear.) riding with a friend. The friend was taking him thru turns and watching him. They were talking and the friend kept saying how well he was improving going thru the turns. But He needed a lot more practice, and not to get over confident. In the video we are watching, he is alone and waaaaay over his head.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I do not, Six. After I watched the video, a bunch of similar videos showed up. I picked the one that looked like the same bike and riding gear. I don't know much about the newer bikes, they all look the same to me, but I'm 95% convinced it was the same bike. The riding gear was 'spot' on though, clothing and helmet. I'll start looking for it again and if I can find it, I'll right down the link for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I do not, Six. After I watched the video, a bunch of similar videos showed up. I picked the one that looked like the same bike and riding gear. I don't know much about the newer bikes, they all look the same to me, but I'm 95% convinced it was the same bike. The riding gear was 'spot' on though, clothing and helmet. I'll start looking for it again and if I can find it, I'll right down the link for you.
Thank You, that I think would be interesting for us all to see this guy and how his partner thought he had improved!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thank You, that I think would be interesting for us all to see this guy and how his partner thought he had improved!
I found the video, Six. It is NOT the same rider. The bike looks the same to me, and the gear, but....the logos on his riding suit are different, and looking at his face you can tell the rider is much younger and looks nothing like our 'hero' of the Dragon. My fault. Sorry, I should have confirmed the vid before I spouted off. Since I hate to take responsibility for anything, and never admit guilt, can I just blame it on old age and poor eyesight? I don't know anythng about URL's and such, but the video is done by JonDotCom7 on Jan 15 2018, if you're interested.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I found the video, Six. It is NOT the same rider. The bike looks the same to me, and the gear, but....the logos on his riding suit are different, and looking at his face you can tell the rider is much younger and looks nothing like our 'hero' of the Dragon. My fault. Sorry, I should have confirmed the vid before I spouted off. Since I hate to take responsibility for anything, and never admit guilt, can I just blame it on old age and poor eyesight? I don't know anythng about URL's and such, but the video is done by JonDotCom7 on Jan 15 2018, if you're interested.
Hey, just blame it on me, I've been getting a lot of blame this past week and much of it is my fault!!

Thank You for following up, that is the important thing and hopefully neither of our path will ever cross this clown.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a new rider far from a seasoned, experienced rider, but far from making those dumb mistakes.
Looking at the way he was negotiating the turns, he probably wasn't looking through the turn, as far through the turn as possible.
Every time I ran wide in a turn when practicing in a parking lot with cones was because I was looking at the road rather than looking through the turn.

Like I've said numerous times in this forum - "Anyone can ride a motorcycle in a straight line.. until it is time to turn.."

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looking at the way he was negotiating the turns, he probably wasn't looking through the turn, as far through the turn as possible.
I would agree with that, but as others have stated, he lacks so many skills, and made a bunch of mistakes before the turn, it would take sometime to discuss all his errors. Most crashes are usually the combination of multiple errors, as was his!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow, this is absolutely horrifying to watch! The fact that he made SO MANY mistakes prior to the actual crash and didn't seem to slow down or adjust his riding one bit! I have a Moto when riding that if I make one small mistake (running wide, or charging corner, or target fixating) I slow down, check my riding and only pick up the pace when I have been riding mistake free for a while. If I make more than one mistake in a short period of time then I either take a break or seriously slow down until I figure out why I'm riding like such a jerk.

I'm a coach at the California Superbike School and we have a similar mantra in that if we see our students making a single small mistake on track then we remember it and discuss with the student at the end of the session. If however the student makes a more major mistake, he runs up over a curb or passes someone too close or looks to be riding over their head then we pull them in IMMEDIATELY and address the issue and watch them carefully to make sure the mistakes aren't happening again.

This guy just makes mistake after mistake after mistake! What are some of the MAIN things that he was doing wrong in this video? What are the skills that he is seriously NOT in good command of?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The main thing I’ve learned from watching videos of The Dragon or Mulholland.
Is not to go there. Just way many edjits riding way to fast. For their skill, the road, the speed limit and most importantly other riders.
Which is a shame because it looks like it could be really nice.
I also am an edjit. I was having a blast on Loch Lomond riding way to fast for my skill, the road, to hell with the speed limit and other riders or drivers. I was lucky to survive, my bike didn’t.
There are lots of nice quiet roads for me to enjoy, just out the door, I don’t have to pass everyone to enjoy them. I more likely to pull in slow down and let them by.

I must be getting old.

Loch Lomond has been upgraded and improved, my corner has been blasted into a modern road now. But the North section is still the same but they have put traffic lights into the really narrow bits,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think an assumption that he was impaired would be safe rather that be mental of physiological.
No way he would have made it through the first minute if he was impaired,
Way to fast, no clue what was coming, quick reactions saved him at so many corners,
Until it didn’t,
Clearly has some learning difficulties.

Some of us just have to learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
This guys main mistake was riding a motorcycle. Things he did not learn or did not know. Motorcycles need to lean over for corners. Hard to tell if he was still braking entering corners, possibly due to panic. His brain froze when it needed to be functioning, as evidenced in the final corner. If he did learn about counter steering ( probably not ) but if he did he got confused in the heat of the moment. A problem with relying on counter steering, as opposed to body steering and more tippy. Some folks have their heads clear a bit after a few miles after drinking. Some get worsa. This guy was worse in so many ways, it would take an interview to understand where his brain was not functioning correctly.
You can look at the video, but the answer is within the guys head, and he may not know.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
I finally got around to watching more than a few seconds of the vid. One thing that appeared to happen as far as I'm concerned is it looks like he got tired. He was reckless all along but just before the crash is when he started going way wide and doing so on almost back to back corners.

So did he in fact start getting tired? The other possibility is if he took something internal, alcohol or drugs, one or both could have started to kick in just prior to the crash. Then there is also the possibility that he saw a clear spot so tried to finally do some sightseeing so the old target fixation got him.

I agree that from the beginning he didn't seem impaired but just plain reckless or riding to fast for skill level. But it all changed a few seconds to a minute before the crash. At around 7:19 he's still reckless but at 8:21 he really started getting bad and for no apparent reason but much more than at 7:19.

And it just stayed worse after 8:21 until he went sightseeing in the Virginia Creeper. So something more than his recklessness licked in. Tired or impaired or both? He shouldn't be riding that fast to start with. He certainly doesn't appear to be a skilled rider. That's a given. His actions endanger more than just his body. Good thing no one else was involved or he might be in court about to go bankrupt with a nasty lawsuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rode the TOD for the first time back in Oct of last year. Right before we started ( at the overlook) another cyclist told my riding buddy and me to be careful that someone crashed about 4 miles down the road. I always ride below my skill level and while I found it fun I really enjoyed Moonshiner 28 much more. Not nearly as technical but it had a huge giggle factor. I watched some crazy TOD videos on YT. Scary stuff!

Heading back up that way in March to do the Cherohala Skyway and then back down towards Dahlonega, GA. Great roads and lots of beautiful scenery.

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
A musician from out of town arrived in New York, and asked a local " How do you get to Carnegie Hall " Practice man practice was the reply.

That road looks like a much easier ride, that what we have from Port Alberni to Tofino. A road with lots of bends should not be difficult. It should perhaps require a bit more caution. Straying from your own lane on both left and right hand corners, is bound to end badly.

UK

21 - 40 of 40 Posts