Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Squirrel, wot they call squids now I think.

UK
Yes, this shows that squids are not always of the younger age. I found it a bit painful to watch knowing it wouldn't be long and most likely he would not make it through to the end, and he didn't disappoint! But if it wasn't Deal Gap, for him it could have been turning into his driveway!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, his whole ride was one heart-stopping panic-inducing fear fest.
I think he should have followed the first Harley's he passed and maybe he would have learned something. But I also think he is one of those that just have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately, however many crashes it takes for him to learn, he is a hazard to everyone else in his path!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've driven the road twice in a car, with the result that I vowed to myself never to ride it on a bike. The reason -- crowds of numbskulls like this guy. There are probably 100 roads just as good or better within a 100 mile radius of the Tail of the Dragon -- and you can ride them without seeing more than a handful of other bikers. Even a highly-skilled rider is a fool if he rides full-out on a road he is unfamiliar with.

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
Even a highly-skilled rider is a fool if he rides full-out on a road he is unfamiliar with.
100% correct. (y) (y) (y) And even if familiar, you just never know what's around that corner you just went too hot into.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've driven the road twice in a car, with the result that I vowed to myself never to ride it on a bike. The reason -- crowds of numbskulls like this guy. There are probably 100 roads just as good or better within a 100 mile radius of the Tail of the Dragon -- and you can ride them without seeing more than a handful of other bikers. Even a highly-skilled rider is a fool if he rides full-out on a road he is unfamiliar with.
In my neck of the woods we have Rte 191 Coronado Trail, which used to be Rte 666 The Devil's Highway. From Morenci, AZ at the south end to Alpine, AZ at the north end, 90 miles with about 450 corners and switchbacks. Similar to the Dragon, but high desert mountain torraine with many blind turns. It predominately is climbing from the south and descending from the north. From about 4,000 foot elevation at Morenci to the south to a bit more than 9,000 foot at Hannagan Meadows and Alpine at the north. The road surface is not very well maintained and like the Gap, it is better to run it during a week day to avoid the pilgrims and weekend warriors. Also similar to the Gap, as @oldenslow points out there are many other roads within a 100-150 miles that are more enjoyable in my opinion, such as Big Lake Road (extremely fast sweepers with a race track like surface), to the southwest is Tortilla Flat, Rte 88 Apache Trail which has been recently resurfaced with some flatter desert turns and twist. And then to the west is the excellent Rte 89/89A that starts north of Wickenburg climbing Yarnell Hill across to Prescott, then climbing up to Jerome and over to Cottenwood, which is another 90 miles of hundreds of turns, curves, corners and switchbacks with a relatively nice road surface.

So I run our Devil's Highway about once a year if others in the group want to, but other than that I will avoid it for our other nicer roads. But, if I lived in the area of the Dragon, I would also run it about once a year, during a week day, just because it's there. I never take new riders to run the Devil's Highway, it's too long, complex and technical. When new riders insist on doing it, their day often ends bad.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
What did I just watch? The entire ride scared me and I am in my recliner. Very jerky rider with no bike control. I swear he would get target fixation, realize it and jerk his head around at the last minute. Looks like he got slowed down before he went off the road and didn't get hurt other than pride.

One big thing I noticed - no one stopped to help him. That says something about the way he had been ridding, pissing everyone off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One big thing I noticed - no one stopped to help him. That says something about the way he had been ridding, pissing everyone off.
Reading the text on the Youtube post, some guys helped him and when he asked for help on repairs, they asked for the video and they were the ones that posted it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow. In every single turn, he was in the wrong place. Instead of going from the outside of the turn and cutting in, he was inside of the turn and moving out. Plus slowing down half way into the turn. Really? WTH, this guy goes thru a MC course, gets a helmet and all the fancy riding gear, and thinks he's a rider? Honestly, I really don't believe that MC courses do anything except instill confidence in new riders. Counter steer, trail breaking, clutch, shifting, whatever, it doesn't do any good if you don't have experience.

When I started riding, I had a Mentor. We started slow, and I followed, learning what to do. I've been riding for well over 60 years now. In the dirt and on the street. Even at 73 years old, I think I'll outlive this knucklehead. Nope. There is no way I would go thru one of those Govt. approved MC courses! I'll take actual experience any day of the week! Rant over.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't, Eagle. I've just had a couple of rough days, saw this video, and compounded with other vids' I've seen of new riders, I assumed. And we all know the true meaning of ass u me, right? I was just on a rant for some reason. Sorry.
Thank You @ketchboy for the clarification, nothing to be sorry about, you could easily be correct. I just didn't see it in the video description or any other place and thought maybe you had additional insight.

I've seen others (mostly of an earlier generation) get through the BRC and drive similar, but most aren't as bad as he became the further he pushed it. I'm not a fan of the current set of MSF training classes by any stretch other than, they are the best we have at this time. But I am a fan of training, lots of training. He did have a helmet, probably full face, but without knowing the brand that could be good gear or just cheap gear. He did have riding gloves and a signature jacket. But he was wearing sneakers and jeans, so I'm thinking he may not have been wearing 'fancy gear'. He apparently was way over his head/skill level and could twist the throttle. Considering he did about everything wrong as he progressed, it appears his sense of self preservation didn't interfere with his desires to be a hot shot rider! In my opinion, he is the exception, not the rule, that we like to hang out for others as an example to criticize. And, I think he needs to be criticized.

He started out okay, but then someone threw him a curve.
I agree....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
He didn't realize he was pushing too hard when he was running right up to the edge of the road, or crossing the center lines. Just prior to crashing he was over the double yellow several times.

I imagine he was thinking something along the lines of "I'll do better on the next curve" when it should have been "WARNING!, WARNING!, WARNING!, SLOW DOWN!"

To be fair, I've had that thought (I'll do better next curve) in my younger days and I was lucky until I really scared myself. Now my "SLOW DOWN STUPID" circuit works great although it doesn't get used as often as it once did.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I did not watch it to the very end, but I wonder if the dude was impaired in any way. He is so bad, a reasonable talk about his riding ability is a waste, as there is no foundation to start with.

UK

1 - 20 of 40 Posts