Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after losing one of my saddle bags tonight this question popped in my head on my ride home from said discovery. How much is enough investing in my bike ? I have a 96 Virago. As much as I enjoy riding when I do it, I’m mainly a weekend warrior with trips to the gym during the week. This is my 1st and probably only bike. All told I paid $2600 after taxes, inspection and such. The week of the July 4th I put out a little over $500 for stator, rectifier, and battery replacement/repair. Now I’m going to replace the saddle bags although I’m not sure what the price is I will be paying. But considering the amount I paid the bike, and what the actual value of it is (although to me it’s priceless), how much would you consider enough of a financial investment, before it’s time to stop?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Personally, I would consider the value of the motorcycle to determine how much work to put into it.

Things like saddlebags, windshields, cup holders, and other accessories really don't add to the resale value. They are items that you get value out of from their utility.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with Dods, I dont think of my bike in terms of a financial value as much as I value it more then what its worth as its mine and only I can put a value on it

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
I agree to keep in mind the resale value of a ride. You are into it for what you are into it. Are you going to be able to recover that from a resale? Beyond that what is entertainment, therapy, fun, enjoyment or what ever you want to call it worth to you? Look at other hobbies, releases or things you or others are into - what does that cost? Sometimes it just feels good to spend the money to have the benefit of what you spent the money on. Maybe others would feel different but what the heck it's your money. Enjoy!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I haven't considered resale value on any bike I've ever owned. If I have a bike that I want to keep, the amount of money I put in it doesn't matter. The last 30 to 40 bikes I have owned I was going to keep until they couldn't be fixed anymore. Unfortunately, they have all been sold except for a few. I make them mine, so the money doesn't matter. I am usually attached to a bike for a year or so and then I find another love.

If you are attached to the bike, put the money in it and ride.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
I have put about 3,000 in Performance and Looks on my 2012 Cross Country making it the way I like it .. Will never see this money back If Sell or Trade it in but the Enjoyment it brings is worth it to me .. Simply put I have a $22,000 Motorcycle that is worth about $15,000 at best 2 years later .. A Motorcycle is not an Investment or never will be .. For a while could get close to actual value of an HD on Trade in the Early Days of the EVO's but those days are long gone .. I Buy One to Ride and Enjoy that simple ..

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I most definitely would pay more for a bike with windshield and saddlebags than an identical bike without. Also, whether its true or not, those items will make me believe the bike was driven sanely.

But I'm curious, how did you lose a saddlebag?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I’m mainly a weekend warrior with trips to the gym during the week. This is my 1st and probably only bike.
The question in my mind, after reading this, is why you are spending anything on that bike. If I owned something and decided it was the last of that thing that I would ever own I would be questioning why I own it in the first place. Do you not enjoy riding? If not, sell it and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The $500 service for a 18 year old bike may be a painful hit, but what other maintenance-related expenses has that bike needed? The saddlebag replacement (probably) can't be attributed to the bike being old. Sometimes "stuff" happens..

My wife is now riding my previous bike, a 1999 Virago. Just the other day it passed a milestone, 50000km (+31000 miles) on the clock! She loves it, and so far it has been pretty cheap thrills for her. When she took it over we did replace the old saddlebags & windshield with newer ones more to her liking. Someday sooner or later it will need tires/brakes/etc expenses. I feel these are expected costs of ownership & can't really complain about that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The question in my mind, after reading this, is why you are spending anything on that bike. If I owned something and decided it was the last of that thing that I would ever own I would be questioning why I own it in the first place. Do you not enjoy riding? If not, sell it and be done with it.
I do enjoy riding it, when I ride it. I knew I would be paying for certain repairs and such, but I was curious as to what more experienced people who invest in the time and money in their bikes would consider enough. For instance, I bought a new car last year because the amount of money it would cost to maintain my old one would be more than what the car was worth despite it being in great condition and I owned it outright. As much as I enjoy riding a motorcycle now when I do it, if I couldn't ride anymore I wouldn't be upset about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The $500 service for a 18 year old bike may be a painful hit, but what other maintenance-related expenses has that bike needed? The saddlebag replacement (probably) can't be attributed to the bike being old. Sometimes "stuff" happens..

My wife is now riding my previous bike, a 1999 Virago. Just the other day it passed a milestone, 50000km (+31000 miles) on the clock! She loves it, and so far it has been pretty cheap thrills for her. When she took it over we did replace the old saddlebags & windshield with newer ones more to her liking. Someday sooner or later it will need tires/brakes/etc expenses. I feel these are expected costs of ownership & can't really complain about that.
My point exactly. I enjoy the bike. . The parts that were replaced were factory (stator, rectifier, 2 year old battery) but even when I did research on the bike before buying it, the stator was an issue the bike is known for. There has not been, and other unexpected cost for the bike though. Tires, brakes and stuff were already expected expenses, but I was fortunate in that the bike had all that done when the owner put it up for sale, and it was all inspected and in good condition when I had the stator replaced. And I'm a little over 35000 miles on my bike. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
So after losing one of my saddle bags tonight this question popped in my head on my ride home from said discovery. How much is enough investing in my bike ? I have a 96 Virago. As much as I enjoy riding when I do it, I’m mainly a weekend warrior with trips to the gym during the week. This is my 1st and probably only bike. All told I paid $2600 after taxes, inspection and such. The week of the July 4th I put out a little over $500 for stator, rectifier, and battery replacement/repair. Now I’m going to replace the saddle bags although I’m not sure what the price is I will be paying. But considering the amount I paid the bike, and what the actual value of it is (although to me it’s priceless), how much would you consider enough of a financial investment, before it’s time to stop?
Look at the statement I bolded above, that says it all. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. I can tell you that there are a few vehicles I've let go in the past that I would rather have kept regardless of the work I had to do on them.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Any expense associated with owning a bike, or even a cage, is not an investment, it is an expense. If you want to spend the money, do so. You will never, repeat never, recover the money you spend. No future owner will care what it cost you to get your bike or your car into its present condition. All they will care about is that condition compared to other vehicles with the same price tag. I know this is a way harsh statement but it is reality. If you love your bike and it makes sense to fix it for x number of years do it. If the bike is worth $1000 on the market and that bike you love will cost $750 to repair, who cares? Can you actually buy one for less than what you are about to spend? If the answer is yes, maybe you can do some trading and end up money ahead. Otherwise quit worrying about what your bike is worth. We spend what we must to enjoy our hobby .

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Many items like saddlebags and windscreens, etc, can be moved to your next bike too. My wife has had me move her 20 year old windscreen and bags onto three different bikes for her. Nothing wrong with being fiscally responsible.:wink:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
How much would you say is enough ?
That is a very subjective subject, in my opinion, with each of us having to find our own criteria which defines what would be enough.

For me, my criteria is enough is when I am satisfied that the bike is how I wish it to be. If it takes me spending three times as much on the bike to get it the way that I want it.

An example:
My previous bike was a 98 Honda Shadow 750.
I wanted it to handle and perform as I desired, and to look like I wanted as well.
I wanted at least 80hp at the rear wheel, and to handle way better than a Shadow should.

I got some of the way there. I did get it to handle decent, and it had considerably more power than stock, (still no where near what a lot of bikes can do, mind you... nothing can turn a Shadow into a CBR-1000), but before I could get further, I traded it in for a bike I wanted more.

Which is why I have my current V-Max.

Now, my goal is to turn my V-Max into a touring machine on par with the mid-80's Ventures, while keeping it recognizable as a V-Max. This will take quite a bit of time and money, but in the end, I shall have my bike the way that I want it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Is someone has an emotional connection with something.......it's AMAZING how much they will spend to keep it.

On the other hand, in the "car" world, we've always said in our circles that a vehicle that needs more to fix it than you paid for it in the first place, was not worth it.

Or to put it another way.......if it costs more to maintain it than the initial investment price, find something else that you won't have to soak money into.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Or to put it another way.......if it costs more to maintain it than the initial investment price, find something else that you won't have to soak money into.

-Soupy
Sometimes there's exeptions...I just recently brought an 89 Chevy Silverado 350 Super Sport for 300 bucks. Was offered 1,500 for her...but I turned it down, so now I'm looking at not spending more than 1,500 to get her in perfect shape. the tires alone I can sell for 600 easy. I couldn't pass it up. Got a little Chevy rot above the rear tire, but all in all it's in great shape for her age....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I picked up a pair of black leather saddle bags for $20 at a swap meet. I wasn't really in the market for them at the time. They were in perfect shape and such a bargain, I couldn't pass them up. I'd tell you the brand if I could remember.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts