Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no way my 460 pound bike can ever trigger stoplights. Does a heavier bike such as a Goldwing weigh enough to trigger one or is it still too light to do the job?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Stop light sensors are triggered by the vehicles metal (magnetic trigger) not by the weight of the vehicle.

Having said that, I wonder how much metal is needed to trigger a stoplight? My bike is about 700lbs, I *think* it has tripped the light sensor, but not sure

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Yep. You need a real bike. Not a plastic one. I've never had a problem with my metallic pig.:D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There are a few lights in my town, where if I was the only one sitting there, I'd be there all day long waiting for it to turn. If it's safe to, I will pull up past the white line and let the vehicle behind me trigger the sensor, but only if it's safe to. Other than that I just get annoyed, turn right, and make a u-turn. Ok, sometimes I do go through it if it's clear.....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Most sensors are magnetic. Works like a metal detector. There's a loop of wire inserted into the asphalt, maybe 4 x 5 foot. You can see the outline sometimes where they slice the asphalt to run the wire. They run a little pulse of current through the wire and what comes back is different if there's a big hunk of metal parked on top.

A lot of parking lot automatic gates work the same way to let residents out. To get in without a key or keycode slide a 10' piece of angle iron under the gate to trigger the sensor. If asked why you are carrying a 10' piece of angle iron on your motorcycle, tell the officer you are trying to win an Internet contest for "Stupidest thing I ever carried on my motorcycle."

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=148650&highlight=stupid+carry

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
There are a few lights in my town, where if I was the only one sitting there, I'd be there all day long waiting for it to turn. If it's safe to, I will pull up past the white line and let the vehicle behind me trigger the sensor, but only if it's safe to. Other than that I just get annoyed, turn right, and make a u-turn. Ok, sometimes I do go through it if it's clear.....
Exactly what I do. My Sportster never triggers the light to change. I'll wait a cycle or two, then just go through the light.

·
8,574 Posts
In Missouri, if you have to sit through more than one additional light, if no vehicles are coming you can proceed though the red light is still on.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
809 Posts
North Carolina has a similar law - if you wait three minutes, and it is safe to proceed, you are good to go!

"Affirmative Defense - may move cautiously through a steady red indicator after coming to a complete stop and waiting a minimum of 3 minutes."

In Missouri, if you have to sit through more than one additional light, if no vehicles are coming you can proceed though the red light is still on.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts

--

How about if you're passing through Ferguson?

--

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I have a Honda Shadow 750 ( currently ). A fairly light bike. A trick I've found kinda helps with this, is to slowly pull up to the stripe ( about 5 to 10 mph will do ), and sorta lock the front brake. This forces as much of the weight of the bike as possible into the front wheel, increasing its pressure against the sensor. Whereby STRONGLY improving your ability to trip it.

However, this can ONLY work on weight sensored lights. Not all are. In fact, there are 3 types to my knowledge. There's weight, induction ( which detects metal ), and timed ( which just forces the light to turn at timed intervals, regardless of traffic conditions ).

To combat induction lights, they sell a powerful magnet that you can stick to the bottom of your bike that supposedly strongly improves your bike's presence to an induction sensor. Now whether or not they work, I couldn't say. I've never had one.

Timed ones....well...you can't do anything except wait. But you don't have to worry, because you're waiting the same amount of time as even the biggest, most present of tractor trailers.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts

It really amazes me that we have to make a law for a common sense move.:thumbsdown:

I don't have the problem with the detection or just going but for those that do, I've heard a magnet can help and also hear those sold at animal supply stores for bovines(Tractor Supply), that a magnet used to collect metal a cow will eat works quite well. They are rather large but cheap so you could use multiple magnets for not much money. If you have a metal(steel) frame just let them stick where they will. The lower naturally the better.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
My first light out of the sub division used to be like that with the induction coil in the road way. My 650 wouldn't trip it but the RSTD did.

It now has a camera sensor. Position in the lane approaching the light is now critical (center -center/left) works the light everytime.

·
8,574 Posts
RonK, I guess going through Ferguson, you'd keep it fast as possible but not fast enough for good target acquisition :frown:

I wish we'd give the good, normal, Law abiding citizen ample time to leave and then give the entire city to the "Natives" and then 'Carpet Bomb' the entire area or maybe a big 'fuel air' bomb would do---presto, no more anarchists on the streets.:wink:

Of course when the rational Porky reflects on the above statements he realizes that ALL are our neighbors and we are told to love them as ourselves:wink:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Perfect place to test a bio bomb porky, less structural damage.

For you bleeding hearts - that was a joke, I do not condone use of chemical/biological weapons on our fellow man.

·
8,574 Posts
Critter, If it's good enough for Assad and condoned by Obummer, what's a Guy to think??:wink:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
bio-weapons were all the rage in the early part of the century.. Nowadays they're mainly used in food products, such as "artificial sweeteners" and as ultra potent herbicides to protect Monsanto's ever growing line of GMO crops... :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Some states are trying to pass "Dead on Red" laws to allow going through a red light that isn't changing.

I park in a paid parking lot. When I enter, I can trip the sensor but when I leave the sensor of that side won't pick up my bike so I always have to drive around the gate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts