Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't have a touring bike, but I do have a Kawasaki Sport Touring bike, it has about 113 ft pds torgue and 192 hp at the rear wheel with a curb weight of about 520 pounds. It suits me, but sure isn't as comfy as the street glide and lacks a bit of storage so I don't think it counts!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My BMW sport touring bike is tame by comparison: 74 ft-lb torque and 95 hp, probably measured at the engine, curb weight 650 lb.

Back when I started riding motorcycles anything over 100 hp was extreme (remember the first Yamaha V-Max at 113 hp?)

·
Very Famous Person
9,724 Posts
--

My 2018 Yamaha Eluder puts out 76 hp, 126# torque out of an 1854cc twin engine. The beauty is that the gearing allows it to cruise at 75 mph and 2750 rpm. So it's a torque monster in a way. With the counter balanced engine, it's extremely smooth on the highway. There are a number of factors in what makes one bike better than another and all need to be considered when choosing. Unfortunately it's hard to directly compare a bike if only one factor is considered.

--

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
TT has looked up all the horsepower and torque numbers for some touring motorcycles. I believe this started when a discussion about performance came up. My bike can beat your bike. So just raw horsepower and torque numbers will not tell the whole story.

Two of us could take our bikes to a drag strip and one could have superior horsepower and torque numbers, but if that bike is loaded with a quarter ton of extra weight, it just might be the "wimpy" bike that wins the race.

But in any race with a Goldwing, Street Glide or any similar touring machine, I would bet on Eagle Six's Kawasaki.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts