Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend taught me how to buy cars and I was surprised by how much hagling you can do on cars.

The car I have now had a kelly bluebook value of $20,000 the dealer had it for $19,995

Everything seemed fair to me so I was ready to buy it. my friend jumped in and told the salesman that I wouldn't pay a dime over $17,000, the guy put up a fight saying that he couldn't take $3000 off the car, she got up, grabbed me and said we're going. I followed her out, a bit bummed because I really wanted that car.

The manager caught up to us in the parking lot as we were getting in the car to drive away and agreed to the 17k, at that point she looked at him straight in the face and said "You pissed me off by making us walk back to our car, now were paying 16 for the car. he agreed.

We walk back inside the dealership, sit down, see what rate I would get on a loan, then when it comes time to make the deal my friend says add bluetooth in there.
The sales guy looked at her like "Please can't you be reasonable?". He went to talk to his manager and I told her to stop, because she was going to ruin my shot at getting the car that at that point I had my heart set on.

The manager came back with the sales guy and asked if there was a problem. before I could say anything my friend told him The problem is we want to buy a car, and you are making us wait. add bluetooth, add free carwashes for life, and a year of free XM. He said that was a lot of requests after the huge price drop they already agreed to. she stood up ready to leave, and he agreed.

I drove off with the car for 16k, with an appointment to get bluetooth installed the next week, a full year of XM, and free car wash anytime I want. It was by far the most amazing car buying experience I ever had. Before this I had always just asked them to knock a few hundred dollars off of Kelly blue book value, I never thought of demanding thousands and extras.

Now I'm about to buy a motorcycle, and unfortunately my friend has moved to another state, so I can't have her work her negotiating magic.

so how much can you haggle? On the car I got 20% off and an add on they wanted to charge $600 for and if any of you have any stories of forcing a deal I would love to hear it.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A dealership usually won't sell a car or motorcycle at a loss, and they have to make profit to keep the doors open. Some negotiating room is almost always added into the sticker price, so haggling will help.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
If you are lucky this site might have the model you are looking at and what the dealer pays for it. Add a little to cover utility bills and salaries and you might have a starting point. End of month usually gets best deals too. But you simply cannot expect them to sell to you what they pay for them. Not normally anyway. After a new model year comes out then the chances are better in fact sometimes they near give them away and just chalk it up as a loss in the books somehow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A dealership usually won't sell a car or motorcycle at a loss, and they have to make profit to keep the doors open. Some negotiating room is almost always added into the sticker price, so haggling will help.
Yes, I completely understand that, and I don't think I screwed over the dealership when I bought the car, but it really opened my eyes to just how much room there is to negotiate, and how much more than you need to you pay when you go with the sticker price.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I don't really know when it comes to dealers. I have never bought a bike from one. But when it comes to private sellers, they are all across the board. One guy puts a $3000 price on it and that means $3000, not a penny less. The next guy does so in hopes of getting $2500, and if it takes long enough, he will go lower.

There s a bike in my area that l was keeping an eye on, a bit older of a model than l wanted, but really clean. It was on Craigslist for $3500. Then he came down to $2500, which was a big drop. Now he is at $2000. I am thinking that bike might be had for $1500 cash.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Now I'm about to buy a motorcycle, and unfortunately my friend has moved to another state, so I can't have her work her negotiating magic.
Dealers hope to make about 1K on a car...from what I know.. Decide what you want to pay based on the dealers cost or the actual value of the item in question... They will sell often based on an emotional reaction or plain minimum profit margin.. Don't be afraid to walk away...it will still be there and just because someone else might want to pay top dollar doesn't mean you should...

But I'd suggest if you didn't learn all you need to know from your friend then get her on the phone when you're haggling, as in your blue tooth ear piece and say and do exactly what she says until the deal is done....

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you can find a new old stock model, sometimes they just want to get rid of them and are more willing to deal. Often the old model is the same as the new one.

I bought my brand new 2012 in 2014 at about a 30% discount off MSRP and the dealer didn't even stick on any fees.

There's another dealer not too far from me selling a 2013 Honda Shadow RS for $5,000 that has a list price of $8,200 I believe. Not sure how they're making money on that one, but I think the manufacturers help with discounts. I'd go for it myself, but I'm not ready for a heavier bike yet.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
My 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 CC had an MSRP at $39,800. I paid $30,400.

It all depends on how long you are willing to stay at the dealer.

Harley and Indian don't haggle much. I chiseled for 2 weeks a few years ago, and got $1000 off MSRP, and a $500 gift card, and 20% off for life. Too bad that dealer is now 1600 miles away.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
A Lot depends on supply and demand .. When I say what I paid out here I mean Out the Door ..Tax Tag Title and all Fees .. All of those things when added does not always mean a bargain if just give Price without those added .. My Indian Scout was 13K OTD although bought it for MSRP of 11,299.00 Which was no negotiating, as people were standing in line that would snapped it up if I didn't .. My 08 HD Electra Glide Standard got a Full 2,000 off MSRP OTD but the 09's were out and it was the last 08 Touring Model on the Floor ..

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Tman, did you buy your car new or used. I've found that most $20,000 new cars today just don't have that big of a markup. However, I have traded in a few late model lemons that I wouldn't sell to anyone I know. And later checked the dealers website to find they were asking close to $8000 more than they gave me on trade. Its all a shell game. Once I spent 4 hours at one of those "no haggle" price dealers. They did indeed have the best price, but it took me 3 hours to get them to finally erase all of their additional fees. When I got them to remove one, they tacked on two more. Some of the fees I think they made up on the fly. MGKCF fee? Whats that? My grandkids college fund fee.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it was a lease return. It was the previous model year with 8k miles on it. It's now 6 years later and I added 80k miles to it, do all the maintenance myself and haven't had a single problem.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I know a guy buys cars, boats, RV's for $500-1000 all day long.

He only uses one line. "oh yeah, it's definitely worth $$3500. But all I got is $1000. That's ALL I got."

Often he puts the greenbacks IN the seller's hand. Once there, they never let go. It's like the monkey reaching into the jar for the peanuts.

He seems to have a nose for sellers who are desperate to get a vehicle gone.

A Toyota dolphin camper, a Hobie Cat ($500), a Volkswagon TDI beetle, an old convertible Rabbit.... the list goes on forever.

"Ya know I just LOVE this TDI but a thousand is all I got." *silence*

So he takes this running 50mpg TDI and attempts a biodiesel conversion which never gets finished. I coulda cried.

Instead I offered him $100 for it. "But Leo, it's ALL I GOT!"

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It is really simple. As long as the seller is making money on a sale, they will do it. If you demand so much that they will lose money, they will let you walk. The hard part is not being demanding but knowing how far you can go. I bought a car at a price that a dealer told me was impossible. Needless to say I got it from another dealer.
Some dealers are ready to play hardball but if you know what a bike really costs them, try giving them a couple of hundred of profit. If they don't take it, the next dealer will.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
As Wadenelson said, there is something about cash in hand, quite literally, that can sway people.
My wife bought a car by walking into a dealer with no kidding cash in her hand. When the dealer said things like, "well we need to add in xxx for things like dealer prep" she held her hand out with a stack of 50s in it and said, "but that is not what I have here". She got her price.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Cash in hand might work when you buy from a private party. But the dealers often prefer, and get a kickback on the financing. When I bought my last bike, I asked if they wanted me to pay by cash, check or credit card? They said they would pay a huge chunk of the extended warranty if I financed it instead. I said sure, if there was no penalty if I paid it off early. I took the warranty and paid it off a few months later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check invoice price on the bike you are buying. You also have to factor in sales tax for your area, where I'm at in Cali its 8%. Also dealership delivery and package costs (some times these are very high). Figure out what you want to pay and stick to your guns.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The first bike I owned, I bought "used" from a Dealership. The price was right to begin with, so I didn't haggle.

If, (and that's a HUGE "if") I ever buy a "new" bike from a dealership, I will see if I can dicker. Don't know if they have the same flexibility as do car dealerships.

My experience with car dealerships for "new" vehicles, is fairly extensive. For a while there, I was buying "new" every two years, until I finally had so much "Negative Equity" in the vehicle I was trading in, that I didn't have any leverage at all.

A hard lesson to learn, but worth remembering and avoiding.

That said, I remember one particular vehicle that I wanted. I researched it, and found out what the dealership paid for it at the time (1985 or so), and got on the phone.

I called the dealership and told him what I was looking for, and was only willing to pay $10,000.00 for it (at the time, that was the price the dealership paid for that particular vehicle). I told him to find me one for that price, and I'd come down and sign the papers and buy it.

The Salesman I was talking with, grumbled a bit and said that it "was impossible," and a few other "I can't do that" kinds of statements, so .........I simply said, "ok, here's my number. Call me if you ever find one."

About a half hour later, the phone rings........it's the Salesman I was talking to. "I found what you are looking for, and for the price you asked."

"Ok," I said, "I'll be down in about a half hour. Have the paperwork ready and I'll sign for it and leave."

That's what I did........that's what happened. I walked in, sight unseen, signed the papers, got the keys, found the vehicle and drove home.

Not only did the dealership sell it for what they paid for it, but I didn't pay any "out of pocket" money to buy it.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Soupy, there is no difference. Bikes and cars both carry huge markups over wholesale and it costs a dealer real money for every month that inventory sits in the showroom. My present bike cost me more than my last new car so even there the difference in bargaining is nothing. I took a very different approach, and maybe one we should all use. I drove my trade in bike into the dealerships and simply asked them for a cash price for the difference between my bike and the one I wanted. I did not bargain much but did reserve the right to hold them to the quote they gave me. Then I went to several dealers and asked them the exact same thing. Every one of them knew, from me, that they were not the only one I was going to talk to and every one of them knew I was going straight to the next dealer and ask for the same thing. I got back offers all the way from $8000 plus my trade to $4000 plus my trade. Guess who I bought from. I was definitely playing hard ball but was in no way being deceptive in how I did it. I was straight forward and honest. Either give me a good deal or someone else will get my business. "You and I are not competing, you are competing with the other dealers within driving range."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts