Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,095 Posts
"stopped riding due to spousal pressure" ? That guy needs to grow a pair!:rolleyes:
Many years ago my then wife was pressuring me to sell my bike. "You're a father now, you've got responsibilities, blah, blah, blah....'

In a fit of anger I replied: 'I was riding bikes long before I met you, and I will be long after you're gone.'

Didn't know that I had psychic abilities.

· Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
162 Posts
65 here, and I’m still riding, but not very much. For about the last 10-ish years, I’ve been riding less and less every year. I think it’s mostly age-related lack of desire. My current bike, a 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 that I’ve had for two full seasons now doesn’t have 1000 miles on it yet. That may change this year, as I turned in my lease car last month because I don’t put any miles on it either since Covid started and I’ve been working from home. Also hoping to retire at the end of this year, so we’ll see. Just moving it around the garage doing my winter rearranging felt good and made me want to get out for a little jaunt, so there’s still some desire there, but nothing like the ‘gotta ride every chance I get’ that it used to be.

· Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,302 Posts
GREAT thread ! .

I agree 100 % that aging hinders riding .

I'm still riding, I thought I needed a lighter & smaller bike hence my Honda CB125S that only weighs 200# but last year I bought another full sizer and am enjoying riding it even though it's 750 # (!) .

I no longer like to ride after sunset, might be my eyesight, might be I see so many red light and stop sign runners .

The folks that join clubs and then fail to do the thing the club supposedly supports then kill off said club are myriad, try to avoid them .

I joined the BMW club years ago and no one rode, that was weird . when I was the only one to ride to a club meeting in the rain I realized they weren't serious and dropped out .

The GWRRA went to great lengths to chase away anyone who had an old Gold Wing, that's plain old stupid .

As with most things in life : do it until you no longer enjoy it .

I see now harm in still hanging ut here on line after one stops riding, I know at least one here who doesn't ride yet tries to tell others what to do and think .

· Registered
880 Posts
GREAT thread ! .

I agree 100 % that aging hinders riding .

I'm still riding, I thought I needed a lighter & smaller bike hence my Honda CB125S that only weighs 200# but last year I bought another full sizer and am enjoying riding it even though it's 750 # (!) .

I no longer like to ride after sunset, might be my eyesight, might be I see so many red light and stop sign runners .

The folks that join clubs and then fail to do the thing the club supposedly supports then kill off said club are myriad, try to avoid them .

I joined the BMW club years ago and no one rode, that was weird . when I was the only one to ride to a club meeting in the rain I realized they weren't serious and dropped out .

The GWRRA went to great lengths to chase away anyone who had an old Gold Wing, that's plain old stupid .

As with most things in life : do it until you no longer enjoy it .

I see now harm in still hanging ut here on line after one stops riding, I know at least one here who doesn't ride yet tries to tell others what to do and think .
Hmm, I probably ride more since retirement .
But , yeah , if it ain't fun , I don't have time for that . ;)

· Very Famous Person
3,896 Posts
Please, no offense to you or your friends.
--

I'm 81+ and spent summer of '20 on several cross country rides on my Yamaha Eluder touring bike. In '21 most of the country was shut down and I gave my son my 900# Eluder. I kept to local riding only on my lighter (700#) Road Star. Then this '22 summer my health started to get to me and I didn't get out at all. Not even on my ATV.

But I'm working on improving enough to get back into it this summer. The first bike I started my renewed riding on when I was mid 60s was a Road Star, so I'm kind of going back to my roots. Funny how whenever I sit on that bike I feel like I'm home. Can't explain that. It's kind of a magical thing. 😇

I rode with Vito several years ago in Michigan but didn't even have my mastery of the Eluder down yet. If so, I would have given him a little better guidance of where we were going. Maybe he would have been more excited to get out there. 😆

--

· Warning: Mood change in 3... 2... 1...
220 Posts
"stopped riding due to spousal pressure" ? That guy needs to grow a pair!:rolleyes:
Or “that chick,” as gender wasn’t specified there and that could certainly be the case sometimes, but yeah 👍🏻

I’m not exactly a regular here but at 61 I do still ride. Not as often as when I lived in the suburbs, but when it’s nice and the grass is dry and the geriatric dog is napping I’ll still get the bike out 🤗

· Registered
1,302 Posts
The deal isn't how much you ride, it's if you're allowed to or something .

I used to ride in the rain and snow, even when it's dry it gets very cold late at night, more than once I realized I couldn't roll off the throttle nor brake by foot or hand late at night , scary .

· Registered
2,095 Posts
I think that I mentioned in another thread that I still ride almost daily.

I'm 68 in a few weeks time.

I find that I always ride my little 250s during the week as the traffic is pretty bad here, and only ride the Aprilia out of the city on a Sunday when there is less traffic.

I don't ride at night as that is when a lot of guys are out on bikes, in cars/trucks that have no lights and are unregistered (no police patrols).

When I first came here I had a few close calls because the street lighting is poor, and non-existent in many places, and you only see these vehicles when you are right on top of them....and then there's the dogs.....did I mention the thousands of strays?

I've developed some hip arthritis that the Aprilia seems to aggravate, so I might be moving it on. Having said that, when I gear up and take it for a spin, I love it and forget about the pain.

So, I'm a little conflicted, and it's still in the garage.

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,734 Posts
Know many that have passed or given it up ... I have downsized for 2 reasons .. Wrist Surgeries and the Heavy Tourers losing confidence at slow speeds and parking .. Still enjoy riding at a brisk pace and the Honda Rebel CMX1100 with DCT does it very well ..

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I had a nice all day ride to Camarillo, Ca. today, my Ural 750 Solo didn't miss a beat .

I took the back road and canyon route, had lots of fun and am not in serious pain even =:cool:.

Reactions: roflol
21 - 32 of 32 Posts